• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Things to consider before getting a giant rabbit

In addition to what has been mentioned, they can tear ligaments more easily, & can get hock sores more easily if kept on a hard surface.
Conti's I've known, have lovely temperaments if they've been treated well.
You may have be good at handling rabbits if they need medication. That's when you notice the big teeth, big nails & they're strong!!

lots and lots of food:lol:

DSCF1943-1.jpg

A few more question please :)

What minimum size would you say for a giant conti x?

Does their big size generally cause more health problems?

They have a shorter, lifespan rescue told me 5-6 years but I've read alot only make it to 3 :( is that really true?

Are they nimble and good at jumping or does their size hinder them? The rabbit I am looking at is two years old and is already showing some signs of stiffness/arthritis in her back legs :(

Many thanks :wave:

My Bentley is a Continental Giant, he weights 7kg. He does big clumsy binkies :love: and can jump very well, but he is only a year old.

He is very clumsy, I don't know if that's typical of the breed or just that he is a daft and silly lad. He does only have one eye, but he'd be no better if he had 10 eyes as he just doesn't look where he's going. :lol:

Bentley broke one of the small bones on the top of his foot, it happened during one of his mad 5 minutes when he was racing around. It healed fine, no treatment was necessary apart from pain relief and rest. It always worries me when he's running around and playing as he goes completely mad. I make his environment as safe as I can, but I can't stop him being Bentley. Again, I don't know if this crazy behaviour is typical of the breed or just Bentley being silly.

I try not to think about their shorter lifespan as it makes me sad, but it is in the back of my mind.

Last edited:
they need more space and everything has to be bigger. I have 2 contis though I wouldn't say they were huge contis and 2 frenchies. They binky like the rest of the buns and to be honest I like them freeranging so they can get a good run around even though they also have a very large shed/run, I wouldnt want them to be confined to a run all the time. One of mine is around a year or so and the other I have no idea how old she is. To be honest I dont treat the big ones differently from the smaller buns

Back