• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit smelling of urine

Alicia

Mama Doe
I got a new rabbit a few days ago, a Continental giant. The problem is she absolutely stinks of urine! She's dry, and I've just given the shed a really good scrub and changed all bedding but I'm not sure what else to do. She spends most of her time in the castle (a big hidey house) which I understand, she's only been here for a few days but she seems to be weeing and then sitting in it. There's vetbed inside the castle, Ive washed it but for now I've taken the castle away because I can't seem to keep it clean. I feel awful but I'm worried that she's weeing and then sitting in it. She's an unspayed female, I'm not sure if this is part of the issue? She's going to the vets on Tuesday to talk about spaying. She's 11 months old

It is likely that being unspayed will make her urine smell stronger. Also are you 100% certain she’s a Doe? Entire Bucks can stink.

That said, very smelly wee can be indicative of a UTI.

Impacted scent glands can cause a Rabbit to be very smelly

Is she eating and pooping OK ? Is her mobility normal?

I would try to speak with a Rabbit savvy Vet about the problem ASAP.

I'm fairly certain she's female, I gave the shed a very thorough scrub last night and things don't smell so bad today, she seems to smell a bit better too. She's booked in for Tuesday, should I try and get her seen sooner?

Also ask about the possibility of other issues, such as EC.
The smell will to some extent be ingrained in her fur, so may take some weeks to fully go, once the cause has been sorted.

I'm fairly certain she's female, I gave the shed a very thorough scrub last night and things don't smell so bad today, she seems to smell a bit better too. She's booked in for Tuesday, should I try and get her seen sooner?
Personally I would if possible, if she has a UTI she’d need abx x

Back