• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Range - their view on tiny hutches, help pls!

The RWA don't endorse 4' hutches :shock: Their minimum recommendation is 6'x2'x2' plus an 8'x4' run. If you see a retailer saying a 4' hutch is RWA approved let the RWA know.

The RWA campaign that retailers sign up to is that they don't stock anything smaller than 4'x2' and they must stock at least one 6'x2' hutch. They must also stress the importance of a run in addition to a hutch, and include a leaflet from the RWA which explains the importance of good accommodation/exercise with every hutch sold.

That's a pretty big step forward for a lot of retailers! I think just making a 4' hutch the smallest in the range instead of the biggest will change how people see the accommodation on offer. It also gets retailers to stock 6' hutches and when they realise people buy them and they make money off them then hopefully we'll see more about. At the moment even if you want a 6' hutch they are hard to get hold of unless you're happy to order online which isn't how most people shop for their first bunny.

The RWA don't endorse 4' hutches :shock: Their minimum recommendation is 6'x2'x2' plus an 8'x4' run. If you see a retailer saying a 4' hutch is RWA approved let the RWA know.

The RWA campaign that retailers sign up to is that they don't stock anything smaller than 4'x2' and they must stock at least one 6'x2' hutch. They must also stress the importance of a run in addition to a hutch, and include a leaflet from the RWA which explains the importance of good accommodation/exercise with every hutch sold.

That's a pretty big step forward for a lot of retailers! I think just making a 4' hutch the smallest in the range instead of the biggest will change how people see the accommodation on offer. It also gets retailers to stock 6' hutches and when they realise people buy them and they make money off them then hopefully we'll see more about. At the moment even if you want a 6' hutch they are hard to get hold of unless you're happy to order online which isn't how most people shop for their first bunny.

Oh well when you put it like that :lol: apologies I got the wrong impression - thats pretty logical I suppose, thanks for clarifying.:wave:

I too have previous email contact with the Range with regards to how small their hutches are- and they basically said its not illegal so they will continue to sell them :( I did report to RWA and provide the Range with the link to RWA as well. :cry:

I went to the range for the first time on Tuesday and saw a 36"x 18"x 18" huch on sale. I have no idea what they proposed to put in it but there was no way that hutch if put outside would survive a dog or fox attack as it was so flimsy never mind being pitifully tiny :(

I went to the range for the first time on Tuesday and saw a 36"x 18"x 18" huch on sale. I have no idea what they proposed to put in it but there was no way that hutch if put outside would survive a dog or fox attack as it was so flimsy never mind being pitifully tiny :(

Yes and I see so many of these outside independent pet shops around here. I hate it. May send them the letter, but I am wary of putting my address on it in case of repercussions - or is that just me being paranoid!?! :lol:

I sent letter of complaint to the Range (both the head office and my local store - Norwich) last year. In particular I complained about the 36"x 18"x 18" hutch on sale - these were the external dimensions! Granted it was labelled as a "small animal hutch" and not specifically as a "rabbit hutch", but there was a picture of a rabbit on the hutch itself, so it was very misleading. Also, many people would class a rabbit as a "small animal" and so think it was fine.

I enlosed leaflets on the Animal Welfare Act and pointed out that anyone keeping a rabbit in one of these hutches would be breaching the Act and therefore the Range were selling goods which were not fit for purpose.

I got the same standard letter as the original poster. I was disgusted. I did have photos of the hutch and its internal measurements but can't find them now.

I see :) I was worried people may just "assume" that a 4 foot hutch was deemed ok by them. Have read the link to the campaign and I can see there is quite a lot of stuff the retailer must do - I hope it is successful as I'm sure it will make a difference.

Back