• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just making sure this is 'legal' on the forum

RosemaryBunny

Young Bun
Hey everyone! I just joined! Super happy to be part of this forum!

But my question is: Is it okay to discuss breeding on this forum? I had to leave another forum because it didn't allow people to talk about breeding because it is 'unethical'. However, I love my bunnies and their babies! My breeding practice is tiny and is centered around the welfare of my 2 parent bunnies! They're not bred for meat, either (ugh, I shy away from the thought), but as well trained and friendly Dutch bunny pets. I am new to rabbit breeding though, so I've got a few questions about it. Is it okay if I ask them here?

Also, dumb question, but it's okay if I live in the US to be on this forum, right?

Thanks a bunch!

Welcome. The forum is mainly UK based, but there are members from the US and other countries - it's not an issue.
Not sure you will get much advice on breeding as it's a rescue forum, but some members will have some experience or know where to look.

We do like pics of the bunnies as well.

We certainly have members from outside the UK. However, I don’t think this is the right forum for you as we are not breeders and so would be unlikely to have common interests.

Ok, thanks for the info! I'll stay anyway to ask/give advice on other general rabbit questions. :)

Ooops, I didn't catch earlier that it was a rescue forum. My guess it's still okay to be here, even though my bunnies aren't rescues?

Shimmer, what did you mean by pictures of the bunnies?

I am from US as are others, and found the members here to be very welcoming.

My bunnies are a mix of rescue bunnies and two purchased bunnies who needed a good home too.

Many of us like to post stories and photos of our bunnies. Mine are indoor bunnies who are fine with most human contact.

Do not take offense if anyone points out the health and behavior benefits of neutering/spaying.

RU isn't a rescue forum. The intention when it was formed was to improve welfare for all rabbits. Of course, over time, this has meant that a large proportion of members are either involved in rescue or very pro-rescue themselves.... there are so many rabbits in rescues in the UK (and the US I imagine) that lots of us feel like it wouldn't be right to contribute to that by breeding ourselves, or supporting it.

It's not so much that you wouldn't be welcome (everyone should have access to information on how to improve their rabbits' welfare), but more that there aren't many members who would be able to help with queries you might have re. breeding.

Back