• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The latest 'Designer Rabbit'

due to nice temperment is taken to shows?=
unfortantly no a show rabbit can be the nastyest biting snarling thing you can think of in bunny terms in the SHOW they are purley judged on coat, condition, colour, type, the way they present themselve ect.........
However there are pet classes amounst shows which anyone may enter doesnt have to be BRC and they should be judged on cleaniness and friendlyness they can be the biggest mix up you can think of:D

unfortantly no a show rabbit can be the nastyest biting snarling thing you can think of in bunny terms in the SHOW they are purley judged on coat, condition, colour, type, the way they present themselve ect.........
However there are pet classes amounst shows which anyone may enter doesnt have to be BRC and they should be judged on cleaniness and friendlyness they can be the biggest mix up you can think of:D

I think Bunlover meant in terms of coping well with showing- ie) a rabbit with a calm temperament would presumably be more suitable for showing than a timid/aggressive one.

Anyway, surely temperament should be judged also? Hereditary aggression should not be bred into rabbits.

I think Bunlover meant in terms of coping well with showing- ie) a rabbit with a calm temperament would presumably be more suitable for showing than a timid/aggressive one.

Anyway, surely temperament should be judged also? Hereditary aggression should not be bred into rabbits.

yes breeders usually handle thier rabbits from young to teach them how to sit for the judge but you still get the odd nastys in there. i and alot of breeders also believe that if you have a nasty rabbit is should never be bred from, but thier are a few that it doesnt matter to because they only want the best for showing.

yes breeders usually handle thier rabbits from young to teach them how to sit for the judge but you still get the odd nastys in there. i and alot of breeders also believe that if you have a nasty rabbit is should never be bred from, but thier are a few that it doesnt matter to because they only want the best for showing.

That says it all!!:roll: and prooves that breeders don't care about the animals they just care care about themselves, making them utterly selfish, no wonder I hate breeders with a passion

That says it all!!:roll: and prooves that breeders don't care about the animals they just care care about themselves, making them utterly selfish, no wonder I hate breeders with a passion

Might add to what Raven Rexes said. There are a few who doesn't care about temperament. Now I know English isn't my first language but last time I checked "a few" doesn't mean everyone.
I know quite a few breeders, and most of these would NEVER breed an aggressive rabbit, to prevent such behavior to be passed on.
There are bad breeders, just as there are bad rescues too, that doesn't mean they're ALL bad.

Might add to what Raven Rexes said. There are a few who doesn't care about temperament. Now I know English isn't my first language but last time I checked "a few" doesn't mean everyone.
I know quite a few breeders, and most of these would NEVER breed an aggressive rabbit, to prevent such behavior to be passed on.
There are bad breeders, just as there are bad rescues too, that doesn't mean they're ALL bad.

If you read this thread you may gain some insight as to why emotions are running so high right now

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=114708

Janex

Last edited:
If you read this thread you may gain some insight as to why emotions are running so high right now

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=114708

Janex

I know many of you don't like breeders, I've been here for some time you know.
But what I reacted to was the fact that Snowy made it seem ALL breeders are selfish and breeds anything that is best for showing, most are actually nice people who care for their rabbits.
I understand why you, on a rescues point of view dislike people putting new rabbits to an already crowded world, but many of my friends are breeders, and I get a little upset when people make it seem all are bad people:(

But what I reacted to was the fact that Snowy made it seem ALL breeders are selfish and breeds anything that is best for showing, most are actually nice people who care for their rabbits.
I understand why you, on a rescues point of view dislike people putting new rabbits to an already crowded world, but many of my friends are breeders, and I get a little upset when people make it seem all are bad people:(

Well *personally* I dont think all breeders are 'bad people' :) but I most definately dont agree with what they do.
Just as I dont agree with 'Rescues' who breed from the Rabbits they take in or those who 'sell' un-neutered Rabbits etc

Its the 'deed' not the 'breed' I am at odds with (mostly ;)) ie I dont diislike the people but I do dislike one of the things they do

Janex :wave:

In MY opinion all breeders are bad, I have never, ever met a so called *good* breeder, I have asked on many occassions for the name and address of a so called *good* breeder in my area (which shouldn't be difficult if there are so many) and I will visit and judge for myself, I am willing to be educated, but NOBODY has ever given me the requested details.

I would like you to walk a day in my shoes as a rescuer and see some of the things that I have to and I can guarentee that you would change you mind and it is all down to one thing.......breeders.

I still am of the opinion that breeders are very selfish people who are desperated to boost their own ego, now show me evidence that I am wrong, as I sadi I am willing to be educated

I have to agree with Snowy, I have never met a nice breeder. As long as they are getting a quick buck and a bigger ego they do not care about the rabbit.

:wave: I have met a nice breeder. I got my Faline from a breeder, I emailed the lady to find out some more about mini-rexes as I was interested in them. She helped me out a lot, and showed me some of the rabbits that didn't meet the standard. (Faline's colour is/was not showable for the mini) She kept Faline until she was 11 weeks old, they were kept in lovely large clean hutches, there were a couple of rabbits in runs on the grass when I got there.

Actually the rabbit I was supposed to have had developed a problem with it's leg, so she was keeping that one for life. She was telling me all the different visits to the vet she'd made and she only had 7 adult rabbits, which is the same amount I have now.

So they aren't all bad.

Certainly not all breeders are bad. I have met some wonderful ones in the past. Infact, it was one nethie breeder many years ago, when I was looking for a pet nethie, who changed my ideas/ways about keeping rabbits.

This breeder was a true inspiration to me, and others (going by the 'thank you' cards and pictures pinned up in his shed).

The knowledge, help and after care I got (for many many years....infact even up to this day we still send each other Xmas cards etc) helped many of my rabbits in huge ways.

I honestly cannot emphasise this man's knowledge or kindness towards his own, mine and other people's rabbits.

So no, certainly not all breeders are bad. A large amount are questionable, but not all.

good comment from the breeder on there thou. BH's are lovely but haven't they got weak bones ?
wasn't there something a while back about pink buns ????
its prob cos easter is so early this year the newspapers have to write something easter-ish quick

I had a man pick up a bunny from me today and he tells me his neighbour bought a Belgian Hare a few weeks ago and has given it away already!

I have to say I think Belgian Hares are gorgeous and i'd love to have one someday when I have enough space. I'd only get one from a rescue if at all. But I wouldnt expect it to be a 'pet' - more like a wild animal that I looked after. I guess it's a bit like saying 'I'd love to have a tiger' but I know that realisticly they're better off in the wild.

Actually I'm not so sure that keeping rabbits as 'pets' is always the best thing for them. As other people have said, I think my bunnies are happiest when they get to display as much natural behaviour as possible i.e. running around the garden and playing with each other.

It's good for them to not be scared of their owners, but I dont really think they 'need' human attention if they have bunny friends. Of course it depends on the rabbit - some are very much more human friendly than others.

Unfortunately with so many surplus domesticated rabbits, there's very little option, but for people to rehome them as pets.

I think maybe this is what the breeders mean by saying Belgian Hares shouldnt be sold as pets - they need to be looked after by people who understand their needs, give them much more space and dont expect them to be easy to cuddle, etc. But i dont know much about breeders!

Perhaps this just reflects that rabbits really have been bred too much for their appearance (and by accident) rather than for their temperament. And yes we could definitely do with less rabbit being bred, but I can understand how breeders feel if they make sure their rabbits always go to a good home. It's a bit like having children - yes the world is probably overpopulated, but how many people deny themselves children for the greater good?

I have to say I think Belgian Hares are gorgeous and i'd love to have one someday when I have enough space. I'd only get one from a rescue if at all. But I wouldnt expect it to be a 'pet' - more like a wild animal that I looked after. I guess it's a bit like saying 'I'd love to have a tiger' but I know that realisticly they're better off in the wild.

Actually I'm not so sure that keeping rabbits as 'pets' is always the best thing for them. As other people have said, I think my bunnies are happiest when they get to display as much natural behaviour as possible i.e. running around the garden and playing with each other.

It's good for them to not be scared of their owners, but I dont really think they 'need' human attention if they have bunny friends. Of course it depends on the rabbit - some are very much more human friendly than others.

Unfortunately with so many surplus domesticated rabbits, there's very little option, but for people to rehome them as pets.

I think maybe this is what the breeders mean by saying Belgian Hares shouldnt be sold as pets - they need to be looked after by people who understand their needs, give them much more space and dont expect them to be easy to cuddle, etc. But i dont know much about breeders!

Perhaps this just reflects that rabbits really have been bred too much for their appearance (and by accident) rather than for their temperament. And yes we could definitely do with less rabbit being bred, but I can understand how breeders feel if they make sure their rabbits always go to a good home. It's a bit like having children - yes the world is probably overpopulated, but how many people deny themselves children for the greater good?

I think if Breeders really cared about Rabbits in general and not just their speciality then they probably would stop adding to the over-population of Rabbits. But they are too selfish, as are all humans in so many ways, and they just cant/wont look at the bigger picture. Yes the Rabbits they breed *might* all find homes or be kept for showing ( to boost a human ego :roll:) but what about the thousands of Rabbits who dont have a home, are PTS because all Rescues are full or are aborted before they are even born :cry:

I am in no way perfect and in many ways as selfish as any other human. But I really cannot understand how someone can claim to care about a species of animal yet knowingly add to a problem with there being just TOO MANY

Janex

Last edited:
I feel that the reason people on here believe all breeders are bad is due to them breeding when there are rabbits needing homes.

that is the point.

Back