• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The latest 'Designer Rabbit'

As far as the media is concerned, it seems like National Rabbit Week, far from promoting the proper care of rabbits is only about promoting the sale of yet more helpless bunnies to useless homes - what a shame :?

yeah it's not like a shoe collection - it's a living creature with a possible 15yr lifespan:evil:

i assure you your very lucky if you get them to live past 8yrs.
becuse of this article im doing home checks with any of my hare babys this year indefinitly!!!! stupid paper!!!:evil::evil::evil: in never trust the news they always twist it someway or another!!!:evil: idiots!!!!

Don't these journalists have anything better to do?

I agree that newspapers will just put any old quote in to support 'their' story - I once got collared by a journalist and asked my name and where I was from. That was it - I didn't even say anything else!

They then made up a quote to support their story and put it in the paper, with my name and town next to it! :shock:

Hi i would like to say that im horrified at what has appeared in the Metro paper. I was contacted by a photo agency to take some photos of hares for an bit on the rarest breed of rabbit. I was happy to do this. the man came yesterday to do the photos and later that day the office rung to get some background. What i said was THEY ARE NOT GOOD PETS AND THE PRICE BETWEEN BREEDERS IS BETWEEN £15- £30. i HAD AGREED TO DO THIS HOPING TO GET A MENTION FOR THE RESCUE. PLEASE DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT YOU READ I HAVE BEEN TOTALLY MISS QUOTED. VAL

i assure you your very lucky if you get them to live past 8yrs.
becuse of this article im doing home checks with any of my hare babys this year indefinitly!!!! stupid paper!!!:evil::evil::evil: in never trust the news they always twist it someway or another!!!:evil: idiots!!!!

It's great that you've decided to home check, you should do it with all the breeds you sell, not just the hares :thumb:

The trouble with agreeing to do an interview with any sort of publishing house is you can never guarantee you will be quoted truthfully :?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I feel another attack of HBWS coming on...................

( Head Brick Wall Syndrome )

My local garden centre advertises Belgian Hare X Rexes as Speciality Breeds

:evil:

Janex

How many times may i ask have you seen them advertised then?:roll:

My hares do not go to rescue homes at all ,as i said they are not pet rabbits. I did not do a proper interveiw just stated that they are not a good pet and they were not expensive rabbit. There will be more articals . Ive tried to ring the metro as i want a retraction of the things they have said. I will never let another photographer in my garden again, its a nightmare. Ive got through to another photograper who took some photos today and said what had happened and that they were not allowed to put any thing with the photos that i haddnt agreed with. I have been very nieve i know thinking they would print what i said. val

My hares do not go to rescue homes at all ,as i said they are not pet rabbits. I did not do a proper interveiw just stated that they are not a good pet and they were not expensive rabbit. There will be more articals . Ive tried to ring the metro as i want a retraction of the things they have said. I will never let another photographer in my garden again, its a nightmare. Ive got through to another photograper who took some photos today and said what had happened and that they were not allowed to put any thing with the photos that i haddnt agreed with. I have been very nieve i know thinking they would print what i said. val

The metro are forever doing retraction's, but they print them in the smallest box so no one really see's them.
Hope you do get them to do it though.

yeah but on your breeding website you have 2 hares for sale, don't mention anywhere that they aren't good pets (and why breed them if they're not? destined for the show table is hardly a life) and in fact rabbits aren't even treated as sentient creatures with needs at all - it's all about 'the hobby' and human acheivement, human pride in the equivalent of a handbag collection.

.........'One of the nice things about the rabbit fancy is that success may be enjoyed on many levels. One may aim to win Best in Show or one may aim to get better comments on one's rabbits at the next show. Between those extremes, there are many other levels of challenges to provide the rabbit breeder with goals, and satisfaction when those goals are achieved.......'

Since when do animals exist to make people feel important? Only someone with breathtaking arrogance could use them in such a way.

This is very similar to the story i think in the Metro about Skinny pigs - hairless guinea pigs and how they are a 'designer pet'.

God i hate how animals are seen as this!!!

I think owning any animal without enough knowledge is like having a car and no driving licence.

I adopted one of your Hares from your rescue.

He is one of the nicest buns i have ever had he is very friendly
He lives free range with a conti giant as he is huge

On the odd occasion they will be as a pet but on the whole i do not recomend them.The first hare i rehomed came to me because he was going to be pts so i did rehome him. They rarely come into rescue your more likly to get a conti than a hare. The reason they do not make good pets i think is because they do not like being held and need a special cage. There life span on the whole if half that of a regular rabbit.The hares i breed are for show i do not breed them for sale. The news paper has quoted a lot of what i said wrong. val

i'm gonna get shot down for this but:

this is obviously a mis-understanding, Val has explained the situation, maybe you should try and belive her instead of going on about how wrong she is.

The hare I rehomed was one that had been breed by Val but he was not suitable as a show rabbit. He still had his ring on his leg.

However this might have been a one off , val might not have done this before or since.

I was told by Val that normally they would go to another breeder and not the general public.

I consider myself to be very lucky to have him but i'm glad he lives in a shed and was not destined for a hutch for the rest of his life.

On the odd occasion they will be as a pet but on the whole i do not recomend them.The first hare i rehomed came to me because he was going to be pts so i did rehome him. They rarely come into rescue your more likly to get a conti than a hare. The reason they do not make good pets i think is because they do not like being held and need a special cage. There life span on the whole if half that of a regular rabbit.The hares i breed are for show i do not breed them for sale. The news paper has quoted a lot of what i said wrong. val

How can you say that when this is on your home page? :shock:
FOR SALE: Two male red b/hare bucks 5mths old, friendly

Last edited:
Back