• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Latest Rabbit Pellet advice for older bunny

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Hello all!

I have not been on this forum for a very long time!

I currently have a single 9 year old rabbit (Jessica) who is moving toward her last days. She lost her husbun unexpectedly about a month ago. She has been having regular strokes for about a year resulting in her becoming less able to groom herself but she is still moving, eating, drinking and pooping fine. Both myself and my vet agree it would not be fair on her or another bunny to bond her with another bun at this time.

At her check up today she had lost 200g in 7 weeks. She has always been fed on a mixture of Allen & Page Natural Rabbit Pellets and Science Selective alongside unlimited hay (equine store hay bale and Haybox Timothy hay) and veg in the evening. The Allen and Page is running out and I am not clued up on the latest nutrition advice for buns but I wondering if I should stick with the above or not. The A&P bags are enormous and too much for her so would be quite a waste (though would try and donate to local rescue).

If anyone could advise on the latest best pellets to feed and possibly something in a smaller bag I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Shiv

Can you just increase the amount of SS you are feeding when the A+P runs out ? Might be better than introducing a new food as this stage.

I would also go with the SS. If you can add in some junior pellets, that might help as well, but I would settle for ones she is familiar with and will eat.

Thanks all. Yes I've been doing that as I've got closer to the end of the A&P. I think I read somewhere a long time ago that SS wasn't the best in terms of quality and why I mixed with A&P, but yes makes sense to stick with what we know and increase it. Thank you all 😊

Back