• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Squeaky yawning?

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
Earlier, Sophie yawned and this long, high-pitched noise came out of her. Should I be worried? Could she have hurt herself while doing the stretch-and-yawn thing? She seems completely fine, and didn't understand why I was making a big deal out of it.

Oh, yours have done that, too! Maybe it's a normal thing, then? It really startled me! I thought something was really wrong, but when I looked over Sophie was just yawning and looking sleepy.
Honestly have no idea! But it's definitely happened here and I've always just monitored [emoji51][emoji38] I'd keep an eye and make sure she doesn't seem uncomfortable at all etc as I know you said she has arthritis. Hope she's okay :) x

Sophie may just have taken in some air through her mouth when yawning which caused a squeaky noise. I would just keep an eye on her, as you always do :)

I've never heard this or heard of this. I'm glad she is fine of course, must have been a bit of a shock for you.
i've been meaning to ask if she still overgrooms her dewlap?

Sending vibes Sophie is fine.I would just monitor .
Thank you, bunny momma. :love:

Honestly have no idea! But it's definitely happened here and I've always just monitored [emoji51][emoji38] I'd keep an eye and make sure she doesn't seem uncomfortable at all etc as I know you said she has arthritis. Hope she's okay :) x
Thank you for hoping she's okay. :) It hasn't happened since that one time and she doesn't seem to be in pain or uncomfortable, so I think she's fine?

Sophie may just have taken in some air through her mouth when yawning which caused a squeaky noise. I would just keep an eye on her, as you always do :)
Ooh, I see! That would explain it. If it's that, it doesn't sound like something I need to worry about?

I've never heard this or heard of this. I'm glad she is fine of course, must have been a bit of a shock for you.
i've been meaning to ask if she still overgrooms her dewlap?
Thank you. It was a bit of a shock, yes! That's really kind of you to ask about her overgrooming. I've only seen her do it once since I cleaned her scent glands, two days ago, so I checked them again and they were clean, so I raised her metacam dosage a bit (the vet said I should try some different dosages to find the right one), thinking it might be pain, and I haven't seen her do it again since then. So, she's been doing really well. :love:

Thank you, bunny momma. :love:

Thank you for hoping she's okay. :) It hasn't happened since that one time and she doesn't seem to be in pain or uncomfortable, so I think she's fine?

Ooh, I see! That would explain it. If it's that, it doesn't sound like something I need to worry about?

Thank you. It was a bit of a shock, yes! That's really kind of you to ask about her overgrooming. I've only seen her do it once since I cleaned her scent glands, two days ago, so I checked them again and they were clean, so I raised her metacam dosage a bit (the vet said I should try some different dosages to find the right one), thinking it might be pain, and I haven't seen her do it again since then. So, she's been doing really well. :love:

brilliant. You make a good team (you & your bunnies)

I agree with j&b, you've done really well to identify the problem with Sophie with her scent glands (and clean them!), which seems to have been the problem causing her over-grooming.

It's also great that your vet has suggested that you adjust the dosage of Metacam, which is sensible, as you are seeing how she is all of the time, whereas the vet has just a small time with her.

I agree with j&b, you've done really well to identify the problem with Sophie with her scent glands (and clean them!), which seems to have been the problem causing her over-grooming.

It's also great that your vet has suggested that you adjust the dosage of Metacam, which is sensible, as you are seeing how she is all of the time, whereas the vet has just a small time with her.
Aw, well, I wouldn't have found the cause if IM hadn't told me that bunnies sometimes pull on the fur on their chests when their scent glands are blocked, so I'm really grateful for that. :)

And, yeah, I'm glad the vet has given me some room to figure out the best dosage. She said to try to find the lowest dosage that will keep Sophie comfortable.

Back