• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sophie and Casper's arthritis.

That would be great. Someone should make that.
She doesn't actually, which makes me wonder if she'd even appreciate a heat source... That's good that Boo likes them; they must keep her nice and warm.

It seems Sophie just likes a well regulated all round room temperature :lol: as you say, sacrifices ....:lol: All my oldies (& sickly boy Rudey) hogged heat sources

It seems Sophie just likes a well regulated all round room temperature :lol: as you say, sacrifices ....:lol: All my oldies (& sickly boy Rudey) hogged heat sources
Yes, she just wants to be warm wherever she goes. :lol: The things we do for bunnies. :lol: I was thinking earlier of your photos of Mousey by the radiator. I know she really loved being warm. :love:

Ooh, would the warmth from the heat pad go through the tile? I wouldn't have expected them to get warm enough for that... That's a clever idea, though. I'll give that some thought. :) I did look into infra red heat lamps once, but I read they can cause fires, so I'd be too scared to use those. They do seem nice, though.

I think if the tile wasn’t too thick it would work. I suppose older kinds might have, if they were used too close to flammable things. The one I had had different heat settings and safety thermostat and a guard.

Last edited:
Yes, she just wants to be warm wherever she goes. :lol: The things we do for bunnies. :lol: I was thinking earlier of your photos of Mousey by the radiator. I know she really loved being warm. :love:

aww it nice you remembering Mouse:love: I do miss her. You're right - she did love her heat sources. If nothing else was on offer she'd even lie on a snugglesafe. Boo won't though, like Sophie

We got these delivered at the front of the house on Wed.
azWkwwom.jpg
Took me hours to carry them through to the back garden, where our seating area becomes log storage:lol:. I'm hoping they will do as Boo's main heating source. Bob has recently replaced the extractor hood in the kitchen as it was really draughty, I think its worked. I need to think about it properly but maybe Boo will be downstairs all day in the winter so she can make use of the log burner

What lucky bunnies! Boo sitting by the radiator reminds me of sitting on the register vent when I was a child! Now that I am getting to be and oldie, I prefer it warm everywhere like Sophie!

Last week it was rainy and colder than average for this time of year and inside it was drafty so I gave in and turned on the ch, though spouse and I take turns being too hot or too cold. It is my only heat source.

Raven is enjoying the extra warmth too! He also falls over sometimes. I only worry his ear infection is returning if he struggles to get back up..

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk

We got these delivered at the front of the house on Wed.
azWkwwom.jpg
[/IMG]Took me hours to carry them through to the back garden, where our seating area becomes log storage:lol:. I'm hoping they will do as Boo's main heating source. Bob has recently replaced the extractor hood in the kitchen as it was really draughty, I think its worked. I need to think about it properly but maybe Boo will be downstairs all day in the winter so she can make use of the log burner

Wow, bet that was some workout! I'm sure Boo will be pleased though bless her :)

I think if the tile wasn’t too thick it would work. I suppose older kinds might have, if they were used too close to flammable things. The one I had had different heat settings and safety thermostat and a guard.
Ooh, I'm glad you think a thinner tile would work. Your idea actually made me remember something I've seen in a few bunny furniture shops, these cooling islands. They're low wooden platforms with a compartment for freezer blocks, with a tile on top for the bunnies to lie on. I'd never considered you could use them with something warm! They look like this:

kuehlinsel-iceland-xl-ca-64x34x8cm.jpg

kuehlinsel-iceland-xl-ca-64x34x8cm.jpg

(Link to the product page: https://www.kaninchenbude.de/bei-hitze-und-kaelte/168-kuehlinsel-iceland-xl-ca-64x34x8cm.html (it's a German store))

That's pretty much what you mean, right? I could put a heating pad inside and it'd make the tile nice and warm to lie on.

That's good to know, too, that the heating lamps are safer than I thought. :)

aww it nice you remembering Mouse:love: I do miss her. You're right - she did love her heat sources. If nothing else was on offer she'd even lie on a snugglesafe. Boo won't though, like Sophie
Aw, I remember that she even used a SnuggleSafe. She always looked so cosy. :love: It's nice that at least somebunny would accept a SnuggleSafe. None of the bunnies I've lived with has ever liked them.

You sure got enough exercise for the day moving all that wood! That'll keep Boo nice and warm for a while, especially if she spends all day downstairs with the log burner like you're considering.

What lucky bunnies! Boo sitting by the radiator reminds me of sitting on the register vent when I was a child! Now that I am getting to be and oldie, I prefer it warm everywhere like Sophie!

Last week it was rainy and colder than average for this time of year and inside it was drafty so I gave in and turned on the ch, though spouse and I take turns being too hot or too cold. It is my only heat source.

Raven is enjoying the extra warmth too! He also falls over sometimes. I only worry his ear infection is returning if he struggles to get back up..

Oh, you and Sophie are the same! I'm glad you could turn the heating on when it was cold and drafty, and that Raven is enjoying the extra warmth as well. :love: But, aw, he also falls over sometimes... I'm glad you normally don't have to worry, though.

Oh, you and Sophie are the same! I'm glad you could turn the heating on when it was cold and drafty, and that Raven is enjoying the extra warmth as well. :love: But, aw, he also falls over sometimes... I'm glad you normally don't have to worry, though.
I am honored to be in any group with Sophie!
Raven will sometimes fall on tile or a smooth surface. He is more stable on other surfaces. I just got him quite a few boxes if his favorite treats, though I had to adjust how many treats he is allowed each day because he started to get excess cecals which he managed to step on!

That bunny platform may work for microwave heat pads too. Would your bunny use it?

Last edited:
I am honored to be in any group with Sophie!
Raven will sometimes fall on tile or a smooth surface. He is more stable on other surfaces. I just got him quite a few boxes if his favorite treats, though I had to adjust how many treats he is allowed each day because he started to get excess cecals which he managed to step on!

That bunny platform may work for microwave heat pads too. Would your bunny use it?

Ah, I see. Smooth surfaces seem tricky for bunnies. I'm glad he's more stable on other surfaces. He must be very happy that you've gotten more of his favourite treats for him! Probably not so happy that you had to adjust how many he gets because of the excess caecotrophs, though. :lol:

Yeah, I think that would work, too! I'm not sure if Sophie or Casper would use it, but I can make something similar with stuff I have lying around, so I can just try it out and see.

Ah, I see. Smooth surfaces seem tricky for bunnies. I'm glad he's more stable on other surfaces. He must be very happy that you've gotten more of his favourite treats for him! Probably not so happy that you had to adjust how many he gets because of the excess caecotrophs, though. [emoji38]

Yeah, I think that would work, too! I'm not sure if Sophie or Casper would use it, but I can make something similar with stuff I have lying around, so I can just try it out and see.
Making it yourself is a good idea if you have most materials available. While a tile would retain heat a little longer, a wood top may be fine with microwave heat pads or something similar. Maybe the snuggle bed or a pee pad can be put on top of it if you use wood for the top so wood does not get wet.

Making it yourself is a good idea if you have most materials available. While a tile would retain heat a little longer, a wood top may be fine with microwave heat pads or something similar. Maybe the snuggle bed or a pee pad can be put on top of it if you use wood for the top so wood does not get wet.

Yeah, I'm planning on just taking the top part of their little IKEA kid's table they used to have and using that (this one: https://ikea.com/gb/en/p/laett-childrens-table-with-2-chairs-white-pine-50178411/ ). The table top is made of thin fibreboard, so I'll see if that lets the heat through. I think it will, but I can always get some tiles later if it doesn't. It's already waterproof as well, so that's nice.

Yeah, I'm planning on just taking the top part of their little IKEA kid's table they used to have and using that (this one: https://ikea.com/gb/en/p/laett-childrens-table-with-2-chairs-white-pine-50178411/ ). The table top is made of thin fibreboard, so I'll see if that lets the heat through. I think it will, but I can always get some tiles later if it doesn't. It's already waterproof as well, so that's nice.
Wonderful. That will save you a lot of money and work, plus recycle something you already own!

Back