• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Turmeric, arthritis and uTI

Zigzag

Alpha Buck
Has anyone given their rabbit turmeric or turmeric powder sprinkled over their food for arthritis? It’s a very good anti inflammatory, and in Canada they sell liquid turmeric fur bunnies.

Although sprinkling a bit on food or mixed in with home made biscuits may not be the best ideas of mine!

Thanks

I know that for humans it has to be mixed with black pepper to make it effective. Not sure how it would be for rabbits!

Ooh, I hadn't heard of this before! Interesting. I would be interested in experiences of people who've tried it as well. Though if it has to be mixed with black pepper and oil like like tulsi and Shimmer say, that doesn't sound very ideal for bunnies, but maybe that's only for humans... Are you thinking of trying it, Zigzag?

Hi Reader, I actually have turmeric tea without the black pepper. I thought that turmeric was effective on its own; Tulsi - I had no idea that black pepper helped!

I am thinking of trying the turmeric liquid that IM mentioned in the second link. IM have you tried it?

A couple of people that have used it in America and Canada (on FB) said it's quite effective, however the shipping is quite expensive; it's the same price as the product.

If I get it, I'll let you know how I get on, as it could potentially help Sophie. Zigs arthritis is getting worse, as I'm finding more and more droplets of urine everywhere, and I can see him struggling with his back left leg. We tried laser but it didn't work. So will try acupuncture, although I recognise he will be 13.5 in Feb, so part of this is down to the aging process.

(Reader I'll PM soon)

I am thinking of trying the turmeric liquid that IM mentioned in the second link. IM have you tried it ?

No, but I know someone who has and they believe it has helped in conjunction with conventional medication.

Has Zigzag been checked for bladder sludge ? Rabbits who are elderly and arthritic are more prone to bladder sludge as they might not empty their bladders properly every time they pass urine. This allows a calcium deposit to build up- ie bladder sludge. Dripping wee is one symptom of bladder sludge. If it’s present it’s important to treat it as if left it will get worse, UTIs occur and eventually uroliths (bladder stones). The kidneys can become affected too.

Hi Reader, I actually have turmeric tea without the black pepper. I thought that turmeric was effective on its own; Tulsi - I had no idea that black pepper helped!

I am thinking of trying the turmeric liquid that IM mentioned in the second link. IM have you tried it?

A couple of people that have used it in America and Canada (on FB) said it's quite effective, however the shipping is quite expensive; it's the same price as the product.

If I get it, I'll let you know how I get on, as it could potentially help Sophie. Zigs arthritis is getting worse, as I'm finding more and more droplets of urine everywhere, and I can see him struggling with his back left leg. We tried laser but it didn't work. So will try acupuncture, although I recognise he will be 13.5 in Feb, so part of this is down to the aging process.

(Reader I'll PM soon)
I hope the turmeric will help Zigzag when you try it. It's unfortunate that shipping from the US or Canada would be so expensive for the product you found. I hope the turmeric liquid you're thinking of trying will be just as effective. I appreciate your letting me know how you and Zigzag will get on. I'd be interested in it for Sophie, like you said. I'm sorry Zigzag's arthritis is getting worse, poor boy. :( That's too bad that laser therapy didn't help him. Hopefully acupuncture will be more helpful. I've read a lot of positive things about it over the years. Although, yeah, sadly it won't be able to reverse the aging process, of course, but hopefully it could still give him some relief.

(That's okay. Take your time. :))

No, but I know someone who has and they believe it has helped in conjunction with conventional medication.

Has Zigzag been checked for bladder sludge ? Rabbits who are elderly and arthritic are more prone to bladder sludge as they might not empty their bladders properly every time they pass urine. This allows a calcium deposit to build up- ie bladder sludge. Dripping wee is one symptom of bladder sludge. If it’s present it’s important to treat it as if left it will get worse, UTIs occur and eventually uroliths (bladder stones). The kidneys can become affected too.

Thanks for letting me know, I did wonder whether it could be a UTI, and I'm planning on going (back!) to the RVC next week. I don't know much about bladder sludge but just had a quick google.

Reader- yes shipping always costs loads, my husband is Canadian so I'm hoping we might be able to get it from a relative. Thanks for your positive vibes- it is really hard seeing the affects of arthritis, which I know you have experience of. I'll keep you posted about the various things we're trying. I spend more on Zigs (and Winnie) than my own health!

Reader- yes shipping always costs loads, my husband is Canadian so I'm hoping we might be able to get it from a relative. Thanks for your positive vibes- it is really hard seeing the affects of arthritis, which I know you have experience of. I'll keep you posted about the various things we're trying. I spend more on Zigs (and Winnie) than my own health!
Oh, if you could get it from a relative that would be better. I know it's hard to see them get worse from their arthritis, and Sophie isn't even that bad compared to Zigzag, so I can only imagine how hard it must be to see Zigzag like this. I definitely relate to spending more on the bunnies' health than on my own, though!

Hi all,

I feel like a bit of a donut as I posted a load of things when the server was down, and my posts have now disappeared! I really should have read Tamsin’s post! Loving the new forum look.

Anyway I’m currently trying to get turmeric, but would be grateful for any additional advice re Zigs

He’s currently on metacam and paracetamol (on and off) and gabapentin. I’ve noticed a huge difference with the paracetamol- it’s so effective

I’ve attached some urine pics below, and a photo of his posture when he’s at his worst. The urine droplets are frequent.

I’m off to the RVC, and will attempt to get a urine sample tonight and tomorrow- joy!! It was a real laugh doing that last time- not.

I’ll ask the RVC/ Jo to do bloods, but does anyone else know what I could also ask for?

Reader- although you may feel that Sophie’s arthritis isn’t as bad, it’s still really stressful 🤎

IMG_8102.jpeg

IMG_8058.jpegItIMG_8059.jpegIMG_8057.jpeg

Increasing fluids with greens or sub q fluids can help with bladder sludge, if that is diagnosed.
It is interesting and good to know that paracetamol works better than Medicam for his arthritis.
Sending positive vibes for his upcoming vet visit.

I suspect he’s not emptying his bladder properly every time he wees.Also, arthritis will mean he’s not as active. So he is getting a build up of calcium/sludge. I won’t be surprised if the Vet can feel sludge in his bladder. I would try to get him to increase his fluid intake. I‘d request a full blood profile as well as urinalysis. Monitoring his kidney and liver function will be important if he’s on a a lot of analgesia.

Thank you Bunny Mama and IM

BM- I am impressed with the paracetamol, but must admit don’t like the fact he’s on so many drugs. There can be so many drug interactions, that I plan to discuss this with Jo. I have so many questions for her! I don’t know much about sub q fluids, but from reading various posts, I think Grace is an expert as she had so much experience with Atticus.

IM- I was thinking the same, they monitor his bloods regularly. I’m syringing water when I can, and will try my best to get a urine sample. I really hope they can express his bladder if necessary, this has always been difficult with Zigs.

With sq fluids it's very easy to do tbh, the vet should be able to show you, and with a tiny butterfly needle it's very easy ime, just feels daunting if you've never used needles before! That's if they think he needs them ofc.

Clementine suffers with bladder sludge, to begin with I was doing sq fluids but also my vet prescribed a human med to act as a diuretic, which worked so so well. Clementine has arthritis in her spine and back legs, plus she's overweight, so she can't get into the correct position, so it builds up. Loads of wet veg, diuretics and sq fluids seemed to be the combo that worked for her.

She also had her bladder flushed twice and I absolutely wouldn't consider that again, it was extremely rough on her.

Have they done an ultrasound to see if he has sludge? Or xray? Clementines was always visible on an xray.

Sending so many vibes for you boy xx

Thank you Bunny Mama and IM

BM- I am impressed with the paracetamol, but must admit don’t like the fact he’s on so many drugs. There can be so many drug interactions, that I plan to discuss this with Jo. I have so many questions for her! I don’t know much about sub q fluids, but from reading various posts, I think Grace is an expert as she had so much experience with Atticus.

IM- I was thinking the same, they monitor his bloods regularly. I’m syringing water when I can, and will try my best to get a urine sample. I really hope they can express his bladder if necessary, this has always been difficult with Zigs.
I worry about drugs, yet know qol is the most important thing.
Giving sub q fluids can depend on the bunny and even the temperature of the fluids. They can be drawn up from the bag using a larger syringe and injected under the skin, or they can be given with a set up and needle and hung to drip in over several minutes. I do the latter, yet Raven started to spin in circles and twists the line, so may ask for larger syringes to try the former.
Gracie also does IV fluids after vet places the line in the bunny's ear. She is awesome. IV fluids are better for a very ill bunny too.

I worry about drugs, yet know qol is the most important thing.
Giving sub q fluids can depend on the bunny and even the temperature of the fluids. They can be drawn up from the bag using a larger syringe and injected under the skin, or they can be given with a set up and needle and hung to drip in over several minutes. I do the latter, yet Raven started to spin in circles and twists the line, so may ask for larger syringes to try the former.
Gracie also does IV fluids after vet places the line in the bunny's ear. She is awesome. IV fluids are better for a very ill bunny too.
Oh yea I've not done it for years but an ear catheter is an option! You just syringe the fluid into the port. Some rabbits are annoyed by it tho, that's why I stopped but it's definitely a possibility and something you can try! I think it can only be in a few days before it needs changing tho, so it's not a long term fluid solution.

Hi all,

I feel like a bit of a donut as I posted a load of things when the server was down, and my posts have now disappeared! I really should have read Tamsin’s post! Loving the new forum look.

Anyway I’m currently trying to get turmeric, but would be grateful for any additional advice re Zigs

He’s currently on metacam and paracetamol (on and off) and gabapentin. I’ve noticed a huge difference with the paracetamol- it’s so effective

I’ve attached some urine pics below, and a photo of his posture when he’s at his worst. The urine droplets are frequent.

I’m off to the RVC, and will attempt to get a urine sample tonight and tomorrow- joy!! It was a real laugh doing that last time- not.

I’ll ask the RVC/ Jo to do bloods, but does anyone else know what I could also ask for?

Reader- although you may feel that Sophie’s arthritis isn’t as bad, it’s still really stressful 🤎
I hope you've had some luck trying to collect a urine sample to take to the vets today. I know it's not the easiest thing to do, especially with two bunnies using the same litter tray! That's wonderful, though, that the paracetamol has been so effective for Zigzag! His posture in that first photo does look very awkward, poor boy. I hope his vet visit goes well and you'll get some answers about why he's been leaving urine droplets. When Sophie and Casper had UTIs they had trouble peeing, only peeing a small amount at a time, and often. Does Zigag do that, too?

And thank you for what you said about Sophie's arthritis still being stressful. It is, you're right.

Hi all,

IM, Grace, and Reader BM thank you for sharing your experiences, and for teaching me about sub q fluids :)

I went to the vets on Wednesday, and Jo couldn't find any sludge on examination. Zigzag's arthritis was at its absolute worst, and I found it really hard to see him being examined as he looked like he was in so much pain. They took bloods but couldn't get a urine sample, so he stayed over night, they've now thankfully got some of his wee wee.

Results should come back early next week. He got sub q fluids at the vets, but I haven't been prescribed any. The insane bunny lady that I am, really wants to have a go. :rolleyes:, as I used to inject Winnie regularly. Grace is Clementine the bunny that only eats hay? And is there anything specific you do for her arthritis? Thanks for sending positive vibes to Zigzag, who is now an old man rather than a boy :ROFLMAO:

I did ask whether I could reduce the meds- the response was a resounding no. I am quite concerned about the number of meds he is on, and his QOL as mentioned.. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this too BM. When Zigzag came off tramadol a few months ago, he was like a new bunny and so much more alert.

The bill was astronomical- £800, so we've maxed out his insurance.

Would anyone be able to let me know how much water I should syringe feed Zigzag on a daily basis?

Zigzag was ecstatic when he came home, although Winnie was aloof as usual

xx

Back