• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sophie and Casper's arthritis.

Glad vet visit went well.
If she would eat enough of them, I would just use regular pellets. A laser treatment sounds lovely.

I am struggling with keeping weight on Raven, and tried some treats he liked-until I got a two month supply.
As you say there are drawbacks to everything.

Still having tech issues.
Yes, that's what I've gone for. She's really liking them! :love: It does, doesn't it? The vet said that while the laser isn't warm, it does seem to warm up their body and their muscles and stuff, so that must be really nice for them.

Aw, he doesn't like the treats anymore? That's really unfortunate, and when you'd just gotten a two month supply, too... I hope you can find something else that he likes to eat that will help him keep his weight on. I know it can be difficult to keep them a good weight.

You're still having issues, too? Me, too. :(

(I'm sorry for the late reply. I've been recovering from the vet appointment last week; it took rather a lot out of me!)

Casper had his second and third laser treatments this past week, and I think it and the increased Metacam dosage are helping him. He's more active again, though I haven't seen him do any zoomies yet. But he did do a binky a few days ago, and he seems less stiff after getting up. The vet also flushed his tear duct again, and it went better this time. He's sneezing less now, so it seems to have helped some.

Yes, that's what I've gone for. She's really liking them! :love: It does, doesn't it? The vet said that while the laser isn't warm, it does seem to warm up their body and their muscles and stuff, so that must be really nice for them.

Aw, he doesn't like the treats anymore? That's really unfortunate, and when you'd just gotten a two month supply, too... I hope you can find something else that he likes to eat that will help him keep his weight on. I know it can be difficult to keep them a good weight.

You're still having issues, too? Me, too. :(

(I'm sorry for the late reply. I've been recovering from the vet appointment last week; it took rather a lot out of me!)

I’m glad she is enjoying them :love:

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Casper had his second and third laser treatments this past week, and I think it and the increased Metacam dosage are helping him. He's more active again, though I haven't seen him do any zoomies yet. But he did do a binky a few days ago, and he seems less stiff after getting up. The vet also flushed his tear duct again, and it went better this time. He's sneezing less now, so it seems to have helped some.

I’m glad Casper is doing well, long may it continue !

I am glad your bunnies are doing well.
Raven started to eat the treats again after getting meds, syringe feds and fluids for stasis and his poo improved a bit. He is still not eating enough so still getting a syringe feed daily. Plus we give him a couple extra treats. His dental is Tuesday, so hope he gets back to eating better.

I purchased reusable puppy pads for Raven, and working well, though I need thicker ones, or a more absorbent brand.
Still have very slow or no access to ru.

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk

Its good to hear the laser treatments are helping Casper too. A little binky - awww :love:

BM- I hope Raven eats a bit more before Tuesdays dental. I'm glad youre in the puppy pad gang too. I love them. Mine are all made of pillowcases lined with fleece blanket or mattress protector. I'm so converted.

So pleased that Casper seems to be doing well after his laser treatments, and a little binky too :) Hope you are feeling better now too Reader, vets visits can be very draining at the best of times :( give both bunnies a little nose rub from me :D

I am glad your bunnies are doing well.
Raven started to eat the treats again after getting meds, syringe feds and fluids for stasis and his poo improved a bit. He is still not eating enough so still getting a syringe feed daily. Plus we give him a couple extra treats. His dental is Tuesday, so hope he gets back to eating better.

I purchased reusable puppy pads for Raven, and working well, though I need thicker ones, or a more absorbent brand.
Still have very slow or no access to ru.

Thank you, bunny momma.
I'm glad Raven started to eat the treats again when he felt better after treatment. I'm sorry he's still not eating enough, though. The syringe feed and extra treats sound like a good idea so he doesn't lose more weight... I hope his dental will go well and that he'll have an easier time eating after that.

I'm glad the washable puppy pads are working well for you, too! Hopefully you can find some more absorbent ones. They're still working well here, too, though Sophie did chew a few small holes in the top layer of one a couple of days ago. :lol:

RU is still very slow or inaccessible to me, too.

Its good to hear the laser treatments are helping Casper too. A little binky - awww :love:
Thank you, j&b. It was a cute little binky. :love:

So pleased that Casper seems to be doing well after his laser treatments, and a little binky too :) Hope you are feeling better now too Reader, vets visits can be very draining at the best of times :( give both bunnies a little nose rub from me :D
Aw, thank you, Pets mum. I am feeling a little better now. I will give Casper a little nose rub from you, but will give Sophie some pets on her back instead for you, as she doesn't like being touched on her head. I'm sure they'll appreciate it. :love:

I'm sorry to hear about Sophie's arthritis, but it's great to see how dedicated and caring you are as a pet owner. It's clear that you're taking proactive steps to ensure her comfort and well-being.

Regarding exercise and stretching for Sophie, here's some advice:

Gentle Exercise: Activities like chasing a food ball and looking for pellets in activity mats are generally considered gentle exercises. They encourage movement without putting too much strain on her spine. These are great ways to keep her engaged and active.

Food Tree Accessibility: To make it easier for Sophie to reach her greens in the food tree, you could try lowering the branches or placing it at a height where she doesn't have to stretch too much. The goal is to minimize any excessive bending or stretching that might exacerbate her condition.

Regular Check-Ins: Keep an eye on Sophie's behavior and reactions during playtime and mealtime. If you notice any signs of discomfort or pain, like reluctance to move or vocalizations, consider modifying her activities accordingly.

Consult with Vet: It's always a good idea to consult with your vet for specific guidelines tailored to Sophie's condition. They can provide personalized advice on exercise and dietary adjustments to manage her arthritis effectively.

Medication: Since Sophie is on metacam, ensure you follow your vet's prescribed dosage and schedule. It can help manage her pain and inflammation, making it easier for her to stay active and comfortable.

It's clear that you're doing your best to provide Sophie with a comfortable and loving environment. Regular communication with your vet and monitoring Sophie's behavior will be essential in making sure she gets the right balance of exercise and rest to manage her arthritis. Your dedication to her well-being is commendable, and I'm sure Sophie appreciates it too.:love:

I'm sorry to hear about Sophie's arthritis, but it's great to see how dedicated and caring you are as a pet owner. It's clear that you're taking proactive steps to ensure her comfort and well-being.

Regarding exercise and stretching for Sophie, here's some advice:

Gentle Exercise: Activities like chasing a food ball and looking for pellets in activity mats are generally considered gentle exercises. They encourage movement without putting too much strain on her spine. These are great ways to keep her engaged and active.

Food Tree Accessibility: To make it easier for Sophie to reach her greens in the food tree, you could try lowering the branches or placing it at a height where she doesn't have to stretch too much. The goal is to minimize any excessive bending or stretching that might exacerbate her condition.

Regular Check-Ins: Keep an eye on Sophie's behavior and reactions during playtime and mealtime. If you notice any signs of discomfort or pain, like reluctance to move or vocalizations, consider modifying her activities accordingly.

Consult with Vet: It's always a good idea to consult with your vet for specific guidelines tailored to Sophie's condition. They can provide personalized advice on exercise and dietary adjustments to manage her arthritis effectively.

Medication: Since Sophie is on metacam, ensure you follow your vet's prescribed dosage and schedule. It can help manage her pain and inflammation, making it easier for her to stay active and comfortable.

It's clear that you're doing your best to provide Sophie with a comfortable and loving environment. Regular communication with your vet and monitoring Sophie's behavior will be essential in making sure she gets the right balance of exercise and rest to manage her arthritis. Your dedication to her well-being is commendable, and I'm sure Sophie appreciates it too.:love:
Thank you for your very kind message and all the advice. I appreciate it very much! :love: I've been encouraging her to do gentle exercise while looking for food, so it's helpful to know that that's good for her. She sleeps a lot, so I do want to encourage her to stay active as well. She doesn't really stretch up on her hind feet anymore these days, so I lowered her food tree and other hanging food toys a while ago like you said so it's more comfortable for her, and that's working well. And I'm definitely keeping a close eye on her all the time to see if she's uncomfortable or in pain. Thankfully, she seems to be doing relatively well these days, and she's at the vet every other week for laser therapy, so any issues she has get talked about then so we can stay on top of things. :) Thank you again for being so kind in what you said. :love:

Casper had the zoomies this morning. :love: He zoomed from his own room to the living room, back to his own room, then the bathroom, my bedroom, and back. :love: His treatment must be really be helping. :love:

Sophie was going to have her next laser therapy appointment next week, but she's been overgrooming, so her arthritis might have been bothering her again already. :( So, she had an appointment today instead. She's just been sleeping since coming home, so I don't know if it has made a difference yet. We might be changing to a weekly schedule, though. I knew she'd get worse again once the weather would start getting colder, but I hadn't expected it to happen as early as October...

Casper had the zoomies this morning. :love: He zoomed from his own room to the living room, back to his own room, then the bathroom, my bedroom, and back. :love: His treatment must be really be helping. :love:

ahhh so sorry I missed this, the best of posts. How wonderful to have Casperr zooming around - to think he is over 100 in human years :love:

Last edited:
Sophie was going to have her next laser therapy appointment next week, but she's been overgrooming, so her arthritis might have been bothering her again already. :( So, she had an appointment today instead. She's just been sleeping since coming home, so I don't know if it has made a difference yet. We might be changing to a weekly schedule, though. I knew she'd get worse again once the weather would start getting colder, but I hadn't expected it to happen as early as October...

aww that's a shame she is back to needing it weekly. You're right, October does seem soon. I've noticed Boo is sleeping in cold weather positions eg loafs rather than flopping

Weather can cause arthritis to flare up, though sometimes the damp rather than just the cold.
October seems too early to turn on the heating, yet last year I recall thinking the same thing before turning it on.
Though Sophie does have that lovely snuggle bed. Can you put a hot water bottle under it to give her some extra warmth?
Sending her vibes!

ahhh so sorry I missed this, the best of posts. How wonderful to have Casperr zooming around - to think he is over 100 in human years :love:
Yes, it was so wonderful. :love: I haven't seen/heard him do any since, but it's nice to know that he feels comfortable enough again to do it. :love:

aww that's a shame she is back to needing it weekly. You're right, October does seem soon. I've noticed Boo is sleeping in cold weather positions eg loafs rather than flopping
Yeah, it makes me worried how she'll be in December/January if she's already getting worse now. :( Aw, Boo is feeling the cold already, too... I don't know what it's like in your house, but in mine it's about 21C right now, so while it is getting colder outside, I wonder why/how they feel it when it's not cold inside the house...

Weather can cause arthritis to flare up, though sometimes the damp rather than just the cold.
October seems too early to turn on the heating, yet last year I recall thinking the same thing before turning it on.
Though Sophie does have that lovely snuggle bed. Can you put a hot water bottle under it to give her some extra warmth?
Sending her vibes!

Ah, I didn't think of the damp maybe being the problem instead of the cold... If it were just me, I definitely wouldn't turn on the heating now, but I've been thinking about doing it for Sophie.
Hm, I do have a SnuggleSafe for extra warmth, but she hates it. Would a hot water bottle be safe? I've heard they can burst... Thank you for the vibes. :love:

Ah, I didn't think of the damp maybe being the problem instead of the cold... If it were just me, I definitely wouldn't turn on the heating now, but I've been thinking about doing it for Sophie.
Hm, I do have a SnuggleSafe for extra warmth, but she hates it. Would a hot water bottle be safe? I've heard they can burst... Thank you for the vibes. :love:

A snuggle safe sounds nice. Can you put it under her bed or under a couple layers of blanket? You sre right that a hot water bottle may not be good if water is too hot, or it they chew it.
During the day, my home is around the same temp as yours, though it does get colder overnight.

Last edited:
Just in from work & thermostat reads 17.5. It is a really cold house, its handy for heat waves but otherwise brrrrr. But I have huge problems overheating at night
I left Boo with a hot water bottle this morning. Its brand new & in a cover. Eddys only chewing vice is wood though & Boo has only been naughty in the chewing department once in her life. I think they can burst if they are really old & the rubber degrades. Sophie has her memory foam mattress doesn't she? Does she use it more when its cooler?

If it wasn't so draughty downstairs I'd leave Boo in the lounge as she does like to warm her bones by the log burner:love:

I'm wondering what I could insert inside the padded bits of a hugger bed to have a heated one.Maybe you can buy really slim thermos flasks:lol:

Back