• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something's bothering Sophie

I believe its the humidity level plus the temperature combined.

So when both the day is cold and the humidity is higher outside that seems to make things worse. Both have a way of creeping inside the house.

I don't know what kind of heating you have? Here central heating makes the house drier usually which would help but then I open all the windows to prevent condensation and mould [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I'm sorry you're struggling so much. :( You're right, though, there's no reason why something that affects humans wouldn't affect non-human animals. Probably a really silly question, though, but I'm no scientist, so I don't understand this stuff :oops:, but how would the weather affect her when she's indoors?

Of course, it's normal that you don't know, and let me explain in detail for you. :)
Since rheumatism damages the joint pressure receptors to work properly, rheumatism patients feel even the slightest air pressure and this causes their joints to ache. Therefore, rheumatic pains increase in rainy weather conditions such as pressure / humidity changes. Cold weather does not cause rheumatic disease, it only makes the pain felt more and does not progress the disease.
There is a lubricating fluid inside our joints that allows us to move freely. It is normal for rheumatism patients to experience pain in their joints, since the fluidity level and the distribution ratio of this fluid in that area change in bad weather. The cold and humid air causes high pressure and increases the complaints of the patients. In times like these, the best thing is to avoid the cold, to keep the house and body warm.

Thank you so much for explaining, CarelessSquid and KCG. I think I understand it better now. I actually haven't had the heating on as it's around 16/17C inside, which is a nice temperature for me, and I didn't think Casper and Sophie would be cold since they have their fur coats on. But it sounds like it might be a good idea to turn the heating on for Sophie? It's not humid inside, though; it's at about 25%, but, yeah, the outside humidity probably sneaks into the house anyway. I think I'll turn the heating on for Sophie and see if she feels better. I guess it'll cause them to start moulting again if it gets warmer in the house...

Thank you so much for explaining, CarelessSquid and KCG. I think I understand it better now. I actually haven't had the heating on as it's around 16/17C inside, which is a nice temperature for me, and I didn't think Casper and Sophie would be cold since they have their fur coats on. But it sounds like it might be a good idea to turn the heating on for Sophie? It's not humid inside, though; it's about 25%, but, yeah, the outside humidity probably sneaks into the house anyway. I think I'll turn the heating on for Sophie and see if she feels better. I guess it'll cause them to start moulting again if it gets warmer in the house...

Hmm this is actually a difficult and complex question. it's easier for humans to answer that, but rabbits have fur. But I can tell you that it's not all about the cold, if Sophie had lived in Turkey in the summer and had rainy-cold air pressure, she would still have pain even though it was 30+ degrees, it's all about the pressure change in the air. The cold just makes the pain feel extra intense.
Now coming to the question, if your house is normally always this temperature and Sophie is not cold, I think the house can stay like this. But it might be nice to give her a blanket or a heating pad. I remember you have a heating pad, but be careful when using it, if you feel she is getting worse, stop giving it. Because if there is inflammation and swelling in her joints, then it can increase inflammation, constant heat is not beneficial, you can observe it by watching.

Hmm this is actually a difficult and complex question. it's easier for humans to answer that, but rabbits have fur. But I can tell you that it's not all about the cold, if Sophie had lived in Turkey in the summer and had rainy-cold air pressure, she would still have pain even though it was 30+ degrees, it's all about the pressure change in the air. The cold just makes the pain feel extra intense.
Now coming to the question, if your house is normally always this temperature and Sophie is not cold, I think the house can stay like this. But it might be nice to give her a blanket or a heating pad. I remember you have a heating pad, but be careful when using it, if you feel she is getting worse, stop giving it. Because if there is inflammation and swelling in her joints, then it can increase inflammation, constant heat is not beneficial, you can observe it by watching.
Oh, I see... I think I'll have to read more about this air pressure, because I think I still don't really understand what it is. I don't think Sophie is cold? She doesn't seem to be... I do have a heating pad, you're right, but it doesn't get get very warm at all, so it's kind of useless. I have a SnuggleSafe, too, but she doesn't like it. She does have warm things to lie on, though, and she has Casper to keep her warm, too, so hopefully that's enough?

Oh, I see... I think I'll have to read more about this air pressure, because I think I still don't really understand what it is. I don't think Sophie is cold? She doesn't seem to be... I do have a heating pad, you're right, but it doesn't get get very warm at all, so it's kind of useless. I have a SnuggleSafe, too, but she doesn't like it. She does have warm things to lie on, though, and she has Casper to keep her warm, too, so hopefully that's enough?

I think it will be enough, there is nothing to help other than a little medicine and anti-inflammatory vegetables during such periods. Don't force yourself, it's not in your hands, even if you do everything perfectly it's a disease and at times like this Sophie will feel a little sick. During this period, there is nothing for me and little Sophie to do but to take more medicine than usual, we will take medicine and wait for it to go back to normal. She'll be back to normal soon, don't worry. :) You are a caring and very good parent, you do everything you can. You can give her some echinacea and rosemary right now, these herbs are anti-inflammatory. This will help her a bit. :)

My two love those echinecea flowers and plants.

If they're not chewers one of those mats that reflects their heat back at them mighy work nicely. I think they're usually foil backed.

The snugglesafe might be harder than she likes, I usually put it under a pile of blankets and my two sit nearby rather than use it specifically whereas Primrose used to rest her chin on it

I think it will be enough, there is nothing to help other than a little medicine and anti-inflammatory vegetables during such periods. Don't force yourself, it's not in your hands, even if you do everything perfectly it's a disease and at times like this Sophie will feel a little sick. During this period, there is nothing for me and little Sophie to do but to take more medicine than usual, we will take medicine and wait for it to go back to normal. She'll be back to normal soon, don't worry. :) You are a caring and very good parent, you do everything you can. You can give her some echinacea and rosemary right now, these herbs are anti-inflammatory. This will help her a bit. :)
Thank you for the help and reassurances. :) I just want to do everything I can for her, but you're right, it's stil an illness so I can't completely prevent her from feeling bad. They do both really like dried echinacea. I didn't know it was anti-inflammatory. I can't remember if Sophie liked rosemary or not...

My two love those echinecea flowers and plants.

If they're not chewers one of those mats that reflects their heat back at them mighy work nicely. I think they're usually foil backed.

The snugglesafe might be harder than she likes, I usually put it under a pile of blankets and my two sit nearby rather than use it specifically whereas Primrose used to rest her chin on it

Ooh, I should look into those mats. Thank you for mentioning them. :) They do like to chew blankets and stuff, but maybe they'll be okay with those. I could put it under a house, maybe, so they can't get to the edges of the mat.

That's cute that Primrose used her SnuggleSafe as a pillow for her chin, aww. I have tried before to put it under some blankets so it's softer, but they both completely ignore it, even when they're ill and could use some extra warmth. :roll:

Thank you for the help and reassurances. :) I just want to do everything I can for her, but you're right, it's stil an illness so I can't completely prevent her from feeling bad. They do both really like dried echinacea. I didn't know it was anti-inflammatory. I can't remember if Sophie liked rosemary or not...

Ooh, I should look into those mats. Thank you for mentioning them. :) They do like to chew blankets and stuff, but maybe they'll be okay with those. I could put it under a house, maybe, so they can't get to the edges of the mat.

That's cute that Primrose used her SnuggleSafe as a pillow for her chin, aww. I have tried before to put it under some blankets so it's softer, but they both completely ignore it, even when they're ill and could use some extra warmth. :roll:

You are doing the best you can, know that. It is not possible for this disease to go away completely and Sophie will feel sick from time to time, it is very important to internalize this thought. After you internalize this thought, you will really feel more comfortable psychologically, you need to relax a little too. All you have to do is help Sophie in those moments, and I think you're doing it great. :) I'm not taken care of like Sophie. :lol: :lol:
Also, yes, echinacea and rosemary have anti-inflammatory effects, it would be beneficial to add them to her diet. :)

You are doing the best you can, know that. It is not possible for this disease to go away completely and Sophie will feel sick from time to time, it is very important to internalize this thought. After you internalize this thought, you will really feel more comfortable psychologically, you need to relax a little too. All you have to do is help Sophie in those moments, and I think you're doing it great. :) I'm not taken care of like Sophie. :lol: :lol:
Also, yes, echinacea and rosemary have anti-inflammatory effects, it would be beneficial to add them to her diet. :)
Aw, that's very kind of you to say. I'll keep that all in mind, thank you. :)

Back