• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Somebody talk some sense into me!!

Bear in mind the problems that overweight bunnies can encounter!!!

Less mobility to clean themselves. Mucky botties then, attracting flies!!! Yuk :shock::shock:

Extra stress on their hearts. :cry::cry::cry:

All in all not good for the bunny.
And probably not good on your purse.
As we all know, a trip to the vets is never cheap, and stressful for all concerned.

This makes sense about why to cut down on their food.
I do mean the pellets, not hay!!!!

Best of luck.x

Yes I am and have been for some time, since I noticed in the autumn that Fay had got very podgy. She and Kenco have the standard amount of Allen & Page (50g), plus she eats a lot of hay, and they are both good veg eaters, I can only think that she had got a bit lazy and that we were giving in and giving them too many fenugreek crunchies. Also Kenco has dental problems and cant eat much hay, so I dont like to reduce their pellets too much as I need to make sure he doesnt lose weight/fibre content from his diet. Fay now has dandelions/herbs for her treats, while Kenco who could still do with a little extra weight and cant have dandelions, gets a fenugreek or carrot or herbs.

The spine is a good indicator of weight, I feel, it was hard at one point to feel the definition of Fay's spine :oops::cry: and at the opposite end of the spectrum Muesli you could feel every bump. :cry: But both are doing better :)

Since the cold winter went away we have got Fay and Kenco down to 30g pellets between them, and are now starting to see a bit of improvement. Its also made me think about Twinkle and Star who will be 4 this summer, so we have moved them down to 40g and that seems to be better for them too.

It feels really mean but I want all of them to be healthy so some of them it means more food and some it means less or different food.

I've also been cutting my pairs food down gradually but it is hard work - especially when they have days out on the grass because all they do is eat all day then and they get more food than normal! :roll:

Back