• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Allgery

KCG

Warren Veteran
Hey everyone,
Cookie is now 2.5 years old and has allergies for almost 2 years. Allergies get a little worse during shedding periods. Cookie sneezes 1-2 times a day every day and snores while sleeping. This condition bothers me and the vets couldn't cure him. Cookie is happy, he has a good appetite and poops but he has sneezes every day for 2 years. The vet gave Flixotide medicine last year, we've been using it for almost 1 year, but it doesn't work.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CFJRczvJhe6Zoegq5

Grace had experienced this with her rabbit and her vet gave her Piriton syrup and it worked. I sent a message to the vet clinic and they said that the person to take care of this is on vacation now but they can reply after May 15th. They also said that Piriton syrup is not in the Netherlands so they will look into alternatives.

Honestly, I'm open to any suggestions and ideas. I would be very happy if those who have experienced this situation and those who have knowledge can share it with me

Is his sneezing producing any discharge?
Did his medicine reduce his sneezing even if it did not eliminate it entirely?

The only antihistamine I have used for a Rabbit is Piriton. So I can’t be much help on this one.

I am assuming all other possible causes of the sneezing have been ruled out by various tests, ie tooth root elongation, nasal polyps ?

Is his sneezing producing any discharge?
Did his medicine reduce his sneezing even if it did not eliminate it entirely?

Yes It has reduced sneezing, it decreases and increases from time to time, but it does not completely disappear, which scares me for the future

The only antihistamine I have used for a Rabbit is Piriton. So I can’t be much help on this one.

I am assuming all other possible causes of the sneezing have been ruled out by various tests, ie tooth root elongation, nasal polyps ?

I have trouble understanding Dutch, most brands are not here. I realized this when I came here, even in Türkiye, Piriton is sold. :D Most brands exist in Türkiye, this is like a joke. When I came here, I realized that Türkiye is more developed than the Netherlands in many respects, and it is very tragic hahaha :lol:
If the only safe syrup is Piriton, I will try to find it, I will bring it when I go to Türkiye. Now I will try to find. Jane ok what is the daily dose of Piriton for Cookie? Cookies 1630 grams.

Yes It has reduced sneezing, it decreases and increases from time to time, but it does not completely disappear, which scares me for the future

I have trouble understanding Dutch, most brands are not here. I realized this when I came here, even in Türkiye, Piriton is sold. :D Most brands exist in Türkiye, this is like a joke. When I came here, I realized that Türkiye is more developed than the Netherlands in many respects, and it is very tragic hahaha :lol:
If the only safe syrup is Piriton, I will try to find it, I will bring it when I go to Türkiye. Now I will try to find. Jane ok what is the daily dose of Piriton for Cookie? Cookies 1630 grams.

I cannot legally give you advice for dosing as I am not qualified to do so

Having said that the information on the link below is in the public domain. Follow the advice at your own discretion. Scroll down to ‘Other Drugs’ and look for ‘Chlorphenamine’ which is the generic name for the brand Piriton.
The drug dose reference comes from a Rabbit Savvy Vet- Anna Meredith

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits

I cannot legally give you advice for dosing as I am not qualified to do so

Having said that the information on the link below is in the public domain. Follow the advice at your own discretion. Scroll down to ‘Other Drugs’ and look for ‘Chlorphenamine’ which is the generic name for the brand Piriton.
The drug dose reference comes from a Rabbit Savvy Vet- Anna Meredith

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits

Thank You so much Jane, by the way I forgot to write above, yes Cookie checked, a dental examination was performed under anesthesia and his nose was viewed with a camera, everything seemed normal

Thank You so much Jane, by the way I forgot to write above, yes Cookie checked, a dental examination was performed under anesthesia and his nose was viewed with a camera, everything seemed normal

Great, must be allergy then x

You may want to try removing some of the 'dust' actually fine particles at the botyom of most bags, from his pellets. I have used a sifter from my kitchen.
Hay can have pollen and fine particles too. by Putting it in a mesh/netting or loosely woven bag and shaking it outside may remove some tiny bits and pollen he may get in his nose when eating.

Back