• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smokie

thinking of you.

the ancol thermal pet beds/mats have been good for bisc's arthritis. wasn't sure they would work but he spends alot of time on them so they must soothe him. x

We are still here, she has weed all over Shaun the last two times we gave her critical care. Will do a final night feed at 9, she is definitely more grumpy bun now !

We are still here, she has weed all over Shaun the last two times we gave her critical care. Will do a final night feed at 9, she is definitely more grumpy bun now !

I hope that she has a comfortable night. Just a thought, but if she is quite immobile due to her arthritis she may not be urinating properly-ie not fully emptying her bladder. I am wondering if she may have a touch of cystitis/UTI which is making her feel unwell. Bladder sludge can also be an issue for severely arthritic Rabbits. Now she has emptied her bladder she may feel quite a bit more comfortable. Depending on how she does overnight, maybe you could call the Vet in the morning and ask him/her their opinion of the 'possible UTI' theory ?

I hope that she has a comfortable night. Just a thought, but if she is quite immobile due to her arthritis she may not be urinating properly-ie not fully emptying her bladder. I am wondering if she may have a touch of cystitis/UTI which is making her feel unwell. Bladder sludge can also be an issue for severely arthritic Rabbits. Now she has emptied her bladder she may feel quite a bit more comfortable. Depending on how she does overnight, maybe you could call the Vet in the morning and ask him/her their opinion of the 'possible UTI' theory ?

Maybe Jane, she did seem to pee quite a lot. I am wondering if it is a side effect of the Buprevet too as my usual bunny vet told me to stop that today and she has picked up quite a bit since.

Popped her in her litter tray for comfiness and she picked up some hay straight away. Safe to say we are staying off buprevet in future.

Maybe Jane, she did seem to pee quite a lot. I am wondering if it is a side effect of the Buprevet too as my usual bunny vet told me to stop that today and she has picked up quite a bit since.

It is an opiate analgesic and it can cause marked sedation in some Rabbits. I hope that Smokie is doing better today xx

Popped her in her litter tray for comfiness and she picked up some hay straight away. Safe to say we are staying off buprevet in future.

It's my own personal experience and opinion, but I stay off it completely, though I realise some people find it useful for their buns at various times.

Hope she will continue improving!

Hi folks, sorry been working from home so first chance to be on here today. She is much better today, we had poo in the tray overnight and some more today. She has demolished 2 basil plants, nibbled some hay and a bit of Readigrass. Still chipping in with critical care/baby food mix every so often to help but trying to reduce it as and when she is happy to eat without prompt. Feeling a little guilty that I was thinking it was time to let her go.......

It is an opiate analgesic and it can cause marked sedation in some Rabbits. I hope that Smokie is doing better today xx

I think it did in Smokie. If I had known it would have done that I would have said no. Not my normal vet as it was a Sunday and she needed urgent help.

Hi folks, sorry been working from home so first chance to be on here today. She is much better today, we had poo in the tray overnight and some more today. She has demolished 2 basil plants, nibbled some hay and a bit of Readigrass. Still chipping in with critical care/baby food mix every so often to help but trying to reduce it as and when she is happy to eat without prompt. Feeling a little guilty that I was thinking it was time to let her go.......

It's always such a difficult call :)

I'm glad things are looking a bit better today!

I think it did in Smokie. If I had known it would have done that I would have said no. Not my normal vet as it was a Sunday and she needed urgent help.

I think that there is a place for it's use, it would be helpful if all Vets warned clients of the potential of it causing sedation. I'd rather know that severe pain was being controlled and once I knew that sedation is likely I would not be anxious if it was to effect my Rabbit in such a way. I would not refuse to allow my Rabbit to have the best pain relief for the specific issue being treated. Just my personal opinion :)

This is the problem - vets don't actually inform the client, because they believe they are doing what they do in the rabbit's best interests.

I found out after my rabbit had had a major operation that he had been given analgesia that made him very drowsy and therefore he wouldn't eat.

It's a shame we have to find things out by trial and error - a very great shame in some instances.
Thank goodness for Forums like these where people can bring their experiences out into the open :thumb:

Hey guys, still here. She's having bad and slightly better days. She has nibbled quite a bit today but she is still nowhere near right. I have a call scheduled in with my bunny vet on Monday to update her on progress - she stresses really badly going to the vets so trying to do updates verbally is better for Smokie.

Hey guys, still here. She's having bad and slightly better days. She has nibbled quite a bit today but she is still nowhere near right. I have a call scheduled in with my bunny vet on Monday to update her on progress - she stresses really badly going to the vets so trying to do updates verbally is better for Smokie.

Yes, I am sure that you are right. I hope that Smokie can remain as comfortable as possible xx

Aaawww what a caring person you are :love:

I really hope she's OK within herself. We worry so much when they don't seem right - really hard work, isn't it, trying to get it as right as we can for them xx

Last edited:
Back