• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

slimming hays?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Is there such a thing? I've heard orchard grass may not be the best hay for Spenser's diet, but I think it is better him eating this than not eating hay at all. He does eat hay when in his litter tray, but otherwise the only other hay he cares for is Supreme's relatively new Selective Timothy Hay. He does not eat any other Timothy hay.

Recommendations welcome. :wave:

Can't be of any help I am sorry. My lot eat farm hay which is very good at the moment.

Thanks for replying. Spenser was on farm hay before he cane to me but it is not really practical for only one bunny. Is farm hay usually meadow hay variety?

Mine is Susie... Alexanders Hay is an equine place which supplies my bunnys hay... They may deliver a half bale in a large bag, thats what i get for my buns,,, if you want me to send you a wee sample of it, i'll send you some down for lord Spenser..

I buy a large bag of meadow hay from an animal food store unit near here.

I pay £2 for a black binliner full.

Is there such a thing? I've heard orchard grass may not be the best hay for Spenser's diet, but I think it is better him eating this than not eating hay at all. He does eat hay when in his litter tray, but otherwise the only other hay he cares for is Supreme's relatively new Selective Timothy Hay. He does not eat any other Timothy hay.

Recommendations welcome. :wave:

Oh please don't tell me they shouldn't eat orchard hay! It's taken me months to find a hay that oscar will eat and it's orchard hay from viovet
Please can some one let me know:?

Oh please don't tell me they shouldn't eat orchard hay! It's taken me months to find a hay that oscar will eat and it's orchard hay from viovet
Please can some one let me know:?

Orchard grass is a really good hay. It's just that I would like Spenser to eat other, less rich hays as well.

Oh so is it too rich then? Oscar does nibble a little on other hays but this is the one he is most keen on so I have ordered him loads of it:)

Oh so is it too rich then? Oscar does nibble a little on other hays but this is the one he is most keen on so I have ordered him loads of it:)

I think any hay is good, and agree it is such a relief to find one that a reluctant hay-eater seems to enjoy. There probably isn't a huge difference in richness of different hays and I may well be overthinking my feeling that Spenser could do with eating other hays.

Grass hays should be fine, I find cereal hays like green oat tend to be the ones that don't do any favours for less slim bunnies.

Back