• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sick bunny

When you go to collect her, can you find out how they diagnosed worms (if they were not visible) and what treatment they have given her whilst she was in?

I second what everyone has said about ignoring a breeder who advised you to remove hay, very foolish advice.

Hoping she is fine when you collect her.

Incidently I have 6 other buns and never had a worm problem

none of my others have ever had worms either not even docs missus, though as a precaution i would do all on a 9 day course of worming treatment just as precaution, vets uk do the cheapest panacur paste, or theres another one someone else may suggest i forget there name,

as was said if you could see them ask vet to confirm it,

will say they are really tiny and what looks like hay could be a worm stuck in the poo

Bunny is still at the vets being syringe fed but is drinking by herself. Passed more worms but poo is getting firmer. I will get verdict and treatment details when I go to fetch her home. Incidently can any one tell me if they think she already must have had the worms when I got her( Last Tues) or in the space of 24 hrs could she have developed them in my care?

I THINK most carry worms, but something triggers its off sometimes a neuter for instance can trigger it off,

general low immune system, it is possiable bun may of had them before you bought, or the stress of being seperated from mom maybe, not 100 % sure someone may explain bit better than me on that one, :)

glad you bun is drinking and poos getting firmer, may be an idea to try some dried herbs you can by them for pets, or differant sorts of hay for when she gets home:) these are better for her than pellets mix or veggies, baby buns tummies are really delicate, once better introduce really small amounts of veg and monitor poos if they start to go soft dont give her any more :)

If you buy rabbit, you are encouraging those breeders to breed more bun as a supply. This is the condition that these rescue animals lives in

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

So when you buy a bun, you are doing this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTb5nY-3Dfo

There is also a lot of health problems w/ breeder's rabbits. There is usually a lack of genetic diversification. My bridge bun Goofball, who's a breeder's rabbit, passed away w/ post dental surgery problems, and she had bone cancer at the age just less than 2. I have been getting rescue
rabbits since. Why not go to the local rescue center and get a rescue rabbit? You save a life that way.

I understand what you are saying. I DO have a rescue bunny as well but specifically wanted a choc pair. My rabbits have the life of riley as apposed to others that live in small hutches day after day. They live in pairs and are free to pop in and out of their houses into separate enclosures. Going back to the breeder issues I thought I had found a very reputable one with many years of experience who does not breed them on demand. My poorly bun is now recovering well (been to see her at vets) And should be home tomorrow.:D. I think I have just been unlucky with this worm problem and hold no grudges to the breeder.

I think regardless of where you got your bunny from you obviously care a great deal for your bun friends, and did the right thing in getting the poor darlin to the vets :D

Hi everyone. Good news my baby is home!!!:p. She is on a course of Lapizole and is being syringe fed 3 times daily to boost her intake (critical care) I think things are looking up for her at last though she is confined to the spare bedroom and she is still very weak and underweight. Thanks for every ones advice and concern. Just to add she has now been christened "lulu" after warerloo vet practice who I cannot thank enough:love:

I'm so sorry to hear that. You did your best for an ill bunny, and I'm sorry it didn't have a happier ending for either of you. x

Back