• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I move riley...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was your question and I think [currently]the answer is no :)
I think you should separate the room in half, but first determine whether Riley's neutered or not via VET xD

Agreed, I think viewing everyones opinions maybe it is best to wait until he is checked, then once he's been given the all clearn, then perhaps go ahead with seperating the room :) I hope this helps :)

The concern isn't only that Riley is neutered, but those girls WILL fight when they reach sexual maturity if there is another bun around that they can't get to.

As Jane said, it's called referred aggression. They'll be frustrated that they can't get to Riley and so will have a go at each other.

It's just not fair on any of them!

You got both girls so they'd have company before you bonded them to Riley. Therefore you don't NEED to do this. Imagine if Riley found a way to get to them when you weren't there. Worst case scenario...he could attack them, or he could impregnate them (depending on his manhood status.) Are you really saying you want to risk any of that?

Everyone has now told you multiple times that it isn't a good idea, but you keep coming back with retorts. If you want advise then ask for it....but if you already have a decision made then don't ask. It's not fair on everyone giving you the advise.

Riley may jump over the girls side, the last thing you want is lots of baby bunnies or expensive vet bills if they fight

There is another side to the people being afraid to post questions being that people will be afraid to give honest answers for fear of offending somebody

Agreed, if I were Abi I probably would have stopped posting a long time ago...

ETA: You are NOT allowed to leave Abi!!

Don't worry, i'm not going anywhere just yet. ;)

The concern isn't only that Riley is neutered, but those girls WILL fight when they reach sexual maturity if there is another bun around that they can't get to.

As Jane said, it's called referred aggression. They'll be frustrated that they can't get to Riley and so will have a go at each other.

It's just not fair on any of them!

You got both girls so they'd have company before you bonded them to Riley. Therefore you don't NEED to do this. Imagine if Riley found a way to get to them when you weren't there. Worst case scenario...he could attack them, or he could impregnate them (depending on his manhood status.) Are you really saying you want to risk any of that?

Everyone has now told you multiple times that it isn't a good idea, but you keep coming back with retorts. If you want advise then ask for it....but if you already have a decision made then don't ask. It's not fair on everyone giving you the advise.

This is the first time i've asked this and I haven't made a decision yet, otherwise I would of said. :?

I would take all 3 bunnies to a rabbit savvy vet and let him/her check if Riley really has been neutered, and also if the two babies are really two girls.

If it had been just one baby girl, I would have said, try and bond them when she's about 8 to 10 weeks old. I bonded Luna with my other two, when she was a baby. But the other two had been neutered for almost a year by then. She still gets bullied by them sometimes, although the bonding went ok.

In your situation, because you insisted on having two babies, it is more complicated, as you will have two unneutered bunnies. I have had unneutered sisters who started to fight and had to be separated, before they were old enough to be neutered. Another pair of sisters fell out a few weeks after they had been neutered.

I would keep the babies well away from Riley until they both have been neutered and you've waited another 4 to 6 weeks after that. I don't think it is good for them to see each other, and never put some bunnies together "once a week" and then separate them again. You bond them, and if things go well, they stay together all the time from then on, even for trips to the vet.

I would take all 3 bunnies to a rabbit savvy vet and let him/her check if Riley really has been neutered, and also if the two babies are really two girls.

If it had been just one baby girl, I would have said, try and bond them when she's about 8 to 10 weeks old. I bonded Luna with my other two, when she was a baby. But the other two had been neutered for almost a year by then. She still gets bullied by them sometimes, although the bonding went ok.

In your situation, because you insisted on having two babies, it is more complicated, as you will have two unneutered bunnies. I have had unneutered sisters who started to fight and had to be separated, before they were old enough to be neutered. Another pair of sisters fell out a few weeks after they had been neutered.

I would keep the babies well away from Riley until they both have been neutered and you've waited another 4 to 6 weeks after that. I don't think it is good for them to see each other, and never put some bunnies together "once a week" and then separate them again. You bond them, and if things go well, they stay together all the time from then on, even for trips to the vet.

:thumb: I'd also make sure they can't smell each other, by changing clothes, and washing your hands/arms after touching.

Florence got beaten up when she got to 14weeks as she was unspayed and hit her hormans at that time. The others just set themselfs on her and they werte all done. Hate to think what would happen if there was other unspayed or unneutered ones near.

Blue use to jump so big so Riley woul probably if not done get over some prety big things if he needed to get to them.

I think people are worried, you post not wanting to get them spayedd now wanting them next to him and you dont know if he is neutered.

*waits for aby bunneh threads next*

A few members on the forum have done this and some take their rabbits to rescues to 'date'. :?

Florence got beaten up when she got to 14weeks as she was unspayed and hit her hormans at that time. The others just set themselfs on her and they werte all done. Hate to think what would happen if there was other unspayed or unneutered ones near.

Blue use to jump so big so Riley woul probably if not done get over some prety big things if he needed to get to them.

I think people are worried, you post not wanting to get them spayedd now wanting them next to him and you dont know if he is neutered.

*waits for aby bunneh threads next*

I never said I didnt want them spayed. It was my mum who said it because she was never aware of the risks etc but now she is and has agreed to getting them spayed. :roll:

They take them to date as in find a rescue friend they will bond with and come away with that bunny.
Not take them oncea week for months on end.

:thumb: I'd also make sure they can't smell each other, by changing clothes, and washing your hands/arms after touching.

How am I supposed to change clothes everytime I go from the garden to my bedroom? I'm in and out all day and the smell would probably be in my hair etc aswell.

A few members on the forum have done this and some take their rabbits to rescues to 'date'. :?

That doesn't mean it's recommended!! If you remove them then when tehy meet again they start the dominance battle again, and again, and again!!

Rescue "dating" is where a bun goes to a rescue and chooses their own partner. They'll start off with one bun and if that goes well then they'll stay with that bun. If it really doesn't go well then they'll be tried with another bun.

Doesn't mean it's right if 'a few members' do it. The advice on this thread so far has been not to do it so why not listen to this advice and take it on board.

That doesn't mean it's recommended!! If you remove them then when tehy meet again they start the dominance battle again, and again, and again!!

Rescue "dating" is where a bun goes to a rescue and chooses their own partner. They'll start off with one bun and if that goes well then they'll stay with that bun. If it really doesn't go well then they'll be tried with another bun.

I meant having them in the same room but divided by a play pen.

No.

I would find out for definate if Riley is neutered. Where did he come from? Why do you think he has been?

This is going to end up with an 'accidental litter' if you arent careful.

Yes, I only agree with this method, if the visiting bunny has been vaccinated and is free of any infections, and if he/she goes home with the partner he/she got along with. I wouldn't try it, see that it worked, and then separate them again. They might not rebond in their new home. Our bonding philosophy is to bond them in a small neutral space, and not separate them any more unless there is a serious fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back