• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rupert diarrhoea

Orenoko

Mama Doe
Just noticed Rupert has diarrhoea, luckily I've been able to get him in at the vets but not until this evening. Not sure what's caused it as he hasn't had anything new or different to eat (to my knowledge). He ate fine this morning and also took some dandelion root an hour or so ago before I noticed the diarrhoea. Bit worried as I know it can be serious for buns, is there anything I can do between now and when he goes to the vet? He seems OK in himself for now.

Edit: he's currently munching on some hay which I'm taking as a good sign.

Last edited:
I would either take a pic of the offending poo, and / or take a sample with you.May help the vet with a diagnosis.

I would either take a pic of the offending poo, and / or take a sample with you.May help the vet with a diagnosis.

Good idea, will do that before I try and clean it up. Wasn't expecting to be taking pictures of bunny poo today that's for sure!

Is it true diarrhoea or unformed cecotrophs?

Just feed him hay and nothing else and encourage him to drink water. I agree re taking a sample of the diarrhoea with you to the Vet. If he starts to pass a lot more true diarrhoea and/or becomes very quiet hunched up/squinting/tooth grinding/cold to touch then he needs to be examined by a Vet STAT

Sending lots of vibes for him x

To me it looks more like diarrhoea, sorry the pictures aren't great. He seems OK, hard to tell as this is his usual afternoon sleep time but can't see or hear any teeth grinding or any other obvious signs of pain.
d76e8b38a351f4210d1e1e317733ed6f.jpg
75130a727844b662b843a41d0c9bb3b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Is there evidence of normal fecal poo too?
Is his bum clean?
Lots of normal poo in the litter tray since I cleaned it this morning, but I also have Lilac so some/all of that could be hers. He's got a bit of a dirty bum, I've left him alone for now as he hates being picked up and don't want to freak him out before the vet trip and make him too difficult to catch. He's in a little hidey box with some hay and I can see him trying to give himself a bit of a clean while eating some hay.

Hope he gets on ok at the vets, I would think the fact that there is normal poo, and he's eating hay is a good sign. Sending lots of vibes for him.

Hope he gets on ok at the vets, I would think the fact that there is normal poo, and he's eating hay is a good sign. Sending lots of vibes for him.
Thanks, just been sitting stroking him and he's not doing his usual purring so I suspect there's some discomfort there. 2 hours until our appointment...

Just got back from the vet, he helpfully did a big soft poo in the carrier for the vet to see. It was definitely better than what he did earlier but still not great. Vet couldn't find too much wrong with him, teeth, weight and temperature are all good, but he does have some tenderness in his tummy. She's given him fibreplex and advised me to bring him back if he stops eating (which I would do anyway!). She said no veg while he still has soft poo so will put extra hay out for him (he's a good hay eater anyway).

Aw, his poor tummy. So clever of him to provide evidence in his carrier, though. I hope the fibreplex will help and that he'll keep eating.

I hope Rupert's tummy is better soon. I'd put money on the dandelion root being the cause. I remember my bridge bun Snoopy, who normally had a concrete stomach, produced a few splats after eating a few of those.

The fibreplex should sort him out very quickly.

I hope Rupert's tummy is better soon. I'd put money on the dandelion root being the cause. I remember my bridge bun Snoopy, who normally had a concrete stomach, produced a few splats after eating a few of those.

The fibreplex should sort him out very quickly.
Interesting, he eats those most days - one or two each time I would say. Hopefully it's just a short term problem, he's taken his medicine this evening with no problems, he loves anything in a syringe lol.

Glad he got on ok, and produced a readymade sample for the vet :) hopefully the fibreplex will sort it.

Sending vibes that Rupert continues to eat his hay and his poos are soon normal.
Be sure he drinks enough, especially since he cannot have veggies.
Did vet hear any gas in his tummy?

Sending vibes that Rupert continues to eat his hay and his poos are soon normal.
Be sure he drinks enough, especially since he cannot have veggies.
Did vet hear any gas in his tummy?

Sorry I missed this earlier. Vet didn't hear any gas, and he's been eating normally with no signs of stasis. I've been at work all day today but didn't see any signs of diarrhoea this evening when I got home so hopefully he's on the right track.

Back