• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really worried about Jims

They had their Filivac vaccine on the 21st June so 6 months ago, we were advised to go for the booster in 6 months?

They had their Filivac vaccine on the 21st June so 6 months ago, we were advised to go for the booster in 6 months?

Oh, I did not think it was as long ago as that. I thought it was just a few weeks ago.

Yes, in high risk areas/situations it is recommended that the vaccine is given ever 6 months:)

I can not look at the list as it will make my OCD worse.
I don't want to speak too soon but I am feeling positive that he is feeling a bit better, he is definitely more himself which is great and is eating lots so fingers crossed when he goes back to the vet Christmas week he will have put on even more weight!

I can not look at the list as it will make my OCD worse.
I don't want to speak too soon but I am feeling positive that he is feeling a bit better, he is definitely more himself which is great and is eating lots so fingers crossed when he goes back to the vet Christmas week he will have put on even more weight!

Don't worry about the list - your vet made that decision for you, based on his experience :)

I am so glad to hear he's feeling better.

How are you doing? x

I'm just panicking as they will be late for their booster

The vaccine data sheet states that it has proved to offer 12 months cover. The recommendation for 6 month vaccination is simply an extra precaution. Your Rabbits will still be covered by the initial vaccine even if their booster is a few weeks late.

Had the progress check this morning and I am disappointed to say there hasn't been any, well very marginal. Neither of them have put any real weight on so we have been advised to 'feed like we don't know what we are doing' I.e increase pellets even more as they need to gain weight and roughage is not going to be enough to do it.
We have to go back in two weeks and if no further progress we will be looking at taking blood.
Please can we have weight gaining vibes! (For Jimby and Cookie, not me, I sure as hell don't need them!! Haha)

Maybe try them with sugar free digestive biscuits or even normal ones. I had two rabbits who loved the ordinary digestive biscuits and would tear across the room and jump on your knee to get to them. We only fed them tiny bits occasionally, but when they went to stay with my parents for a month in the summer while we were away, my parents fed them a whole big biscuit between them every day because they thought the way they came running was so sweet, and the bunnies put on about half a pound each (which was a lot, as they were little 3-4 pound lionheads).

Porridge oats (I give them dry, not soaked, but either is an option) and black oil sunflower seeds may be good options. Mine love them and they help keep their weight up :) I just scatter them all over their pile of hay etc, same as I do their pellets, and they have fun finding and eating every morsel!

Had the progress check this morning and I am disappointed to say there hasn't been any, well very marginal. Neither of them have put any real weight on so we have been advised to 'feed like we don't know what we are doing' I.e increase pellets even more as they need to gain weight and roughage is not going to be enough to do it.
We have to go back in two weeks and if no further progress we will be looking at taking blood.
Please can we have weight gaining vibes! (For Jimby and Cookie, not me, I sure as hell don't need them!! Haha)

What pellets are you feeding them Rach ? You could gradually change them onto a type with a higher protein content -eg

http://shop.burgesspetcare.com/rabbit/food/Excel-Junior-and-Dwarf-Rabbit-Nuggets-with-Mint/15

Will they eat recovery or critical care from a shallow dish? Scarlet used to and it really helped her keep weight on. You can mix oats in with it too.

They are on Pro Fibre pellets and Science Selective pellets. We are giving them x3 scoops of each, each a day now.
Jims LOVES digestive biscuits, they are my go to food when he wont eat, so I can definitely give him some of those, maybe start with a quarter of biscuit per day to start with?

No they turn their noses up at recovery food etc.

They are on Pro Fibre pellets and Science Selective pellets. We are giving them x3 scoops of each, each a day now.
Jims LOVES digestive biscuits, they are my go to food when he wont eat, so I can definitely give him some of those, maybe start with a quarter of biscuit per day to start with?

No they turn their noses up at recovery food etc.

Personally I would not feed then digestive biscuits and I would try to increase their calorie intake without overloading them with sugar.

Are they both good hay eaters ?

May I ask why you wouldn't advise digestive biscuits Jane?
Yes they are both good hay eaters but there's not much in hay is there

Back