• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really worried about Jims

Generally speaking Dan is good with the rabbits for instance he is giving them both their Panacure, Jimby his metacam and cookie her eye drops each morning. I think he just sees the normal care a chore so yes I think I am going to have to take over normal care to make sure it is done.

Sounds like a good plan!

Generally speaking Dan is good with the rabbits for instance he is giving them both their Panacure, Jimby his metacam and cookie her eye drops each morning. I think he just sees the normal care a chore so yes I think I am going to have to take over normal care to make sure it is done.

That is great he is so good with meds etc! Would it help if he pulled out a big handful of hay and gave it a good shake for you every morning, then you can grab a handful off the top of the bag to feed. I find if I have to delve into a bag it can set my chest off pretty bad at times, although the recent bales from Timothyhay.co.uk I have been ok with. I find with mine aswell they tuck in to fresh hay every time I give them some so if I am home I give them mini top ups regularly between their big morning and then night time hay feeds. It might trick Jimby into eating more and gain a bit of weight if you give him a new fresh bit every hour (only has to be a small handful put right in front of him or even wave strands in from of he face so he eats it). Apologies if you try and do this already. I hope he is ok, sending vibes your way xxx

Sending millions of vibes for Jimbo. If you have money problems re the pellets I will post you a large bag if you need it.

That is such a sweet thing to offer, thank you so much for your kindness!!
We have just purchased a bag but thank you so much anyway xx

I heard respiratory sounds from him tonight like a snoring sound.
I have made a list of what I need to ask the vet tomorrow can you guys check and see if I need to add anything...

*Definite respiratory sounds, possible upper respiratory infection? Nasal blockage? Antibiotic?
*Bloods to check for kidney failure and liver function as well as E.C?
*If no bloods then change to a steroidal anti -inflammatory pain relief in case of kidney failure and metacam making it worse.
*Ask about Alfalfa hay and other weight gaining food.
*More perky but still sleeping/resting hunched up.
*Back end weakness- possible muscle wastage?- due to weight loss or something else? Bloods? Left back end behind when jumping into box and legs were 'swimming', he looked quite distressed by it.
*I remember slight discomfort on back legs when nails were cut.
*Check bottom as slightly dirty.
*Random urination noticed.
*Possible calcium build up with one of them as white chalky pee on blanket.
*Re check teeth for Spurs.

I heard respiratory sounds from him tonight like a snoring sound.
I have made a list of what I need to ask the vet tomorrow can you guys check and see if I need to add anything...

*Definite respiratory sounds, possible upper respiratory infection? Nasal blockage? Antibiotic?
*Bloods to check for kidney failure and liver function as well as E.C?
*If no bloods then change to a steroidal anti -inflammatory pain relief in case of kidney failure and metacam making it worse.
*Ask about Alfalfa hay and other weight gaining food.
*More perky but still sleeping/resting hunched up.
*Back end weakness- possible muscle wastage?- due to weight loss or something else? Bloods? Left back end behind when jumping into box and legs were 'swimming', he looked quite distressed by it.
*I remember slight discomfort on back legs when nails were cut.
*Check bottom as slightly dirty.
*Random urination noticed.
*Possible calcium build up with one of them as white chalky pee on blanket.
*Re check teeth for Spurs.

If Jims sounds snuffly it may be due to the fact that his immune system is very weak due to his over-all debilitation. After weighing Jims again the Vet should thoroughly examine him, listen to his lungs/heart, check for signs of nasal discharge, take his temperature etc. From the findings of the examination the Vet will make a decision as to whether or not abx are appropriate
A corticosteroid would not be appropriate as it would further weaken his immune system and also steroids can effect kidney and liver function. In some cases of renal disease, malnutrition, general debility an anabolic steroid may be beneficial. But that would be for the Vet to decide after carrying out a full examination
Jims back end weakness probably has several possible causes including muscle wastage due to weightloss/malnutrition. Muscle wastage due to an arthritic condition, muscle wastage due to kidney problems. Again, another issue for the Vet to consider
Chalky wee can occur if a Rabbit is less mobile and/or is unable to fully empty their bladder each time they urinate. If excess calcium is an issue then feeding Alfalfa hays would not be a good idea. Alfalfa has a very high calcium content.
A Dental check would be a good idea BUT it would only be a superficial one as it is impossible for a Vet to obtain a 100% view of the oral cavity of a conscious Rabbit. Personally I think Jims is too weak to undergo sedation, but that is a decision for the Vet and for you to make.

If Jims has been on Metacam for a long time then personally I would want his kidney parameters checked. As Jims is already on Panacur and your funds are limited I would not opt for testing for EC. He is already on treatment for that and even if a blood test revealed a very high titre level (meaning 'active' EC was likely) it would not provide any further treatment options. I assume Cookie is on Panacur too ? I would want her to be given the recent situation with the urine conataminated hay. EC is spread by ingestion of spores via urine contaminated hay/bedding etc. An in house blood profile should give information of kidney/liver function and should be a lot cheaper than having bloods sent off for analysis at a Vet Lab. Obviously the latter would provide more detailed information but financial constraints probably mean you need to focus on how Jims' kidney/liver are functioning for now.

If you opt for not having bloods taken then this is what I would want to ask the Vet

1-Check for signs of upper/lower RTI- Antibiotic cover ?

2- Check for bladder sludge/bladder infection

3-Check for signs of arthritis, especially in the spine/hips

4-Check ears. Rabbits with hind leg weakness are very prone to gunky ears/ear infections. Especially lop eared Rabbits. Ear problems can cause problems with balance.

5- Check teeth as much as is possible in a conscious Rabbit

6- Discuss most appropriate analgesic cover/dose and whether giving an anabolic steroid injection would be beneficial

7-Discuss dietary changes needed depending on over-all findings at today's appointment

Good luck :)

His weight last March was 2.3kg and last week he was 1.3kg.
Over the past few months his diet has been a bit hit and miss- we stopped Allen and Paige pellets altogether, we then slowly stopped the pro fibre pellets and were not consistent with fresh herbs or dried herbs or fenugreek a due to finacial restraints. They had unlimited hay which as mentioned before Dan had been a bit lazy with so they didn't always have fresh hay when he didn't change it every day. I have extreme asthma when it comes to changing the hay hence that's Dans job.
Over the past 5 days they have had freshhay everyday. Lots of dried herbs and been consistent with the fresh herbs, they have also had a couple of treats a day (one that is for the immune system) we have also been giving 2 small scoop scoop of Pro fibre again and introduced science selective as well.

Oh gosh I just saw him struggle so much jumping into the litter box it's like his back end wasn't working and he was kicking his little legs so much to try and get in. That was horrible to see.

Sorry but this is really worrying. His diet has been poor for months and it sounds like he's been living off just hay, it's no wonder his bodyweight has halved and he's ill. You say dramatically elsewhere that you would sell your car to save him but financial constraints meant he couldn't have pellets?! Then you say they have Christmas presents, which is really getting your priorities muddled. They have zero understanding of Christmas and this money could have been spent much more sensibly on pellets.
Pellets are far more important; they have no need of Christmas presents if money is tight!

I'm sorry but you should NEVER have cut back on their pellets to save money...please don`t ever do this again.

Last edited:
Good news!

They have both put on weight!!

Jimby has gone from 1.3kg to 1.53kg in 6 days!

Cookie has gone from 1.46kg to 1.65kg I. 6 days!

We opted not to go for bloods just now and will review in 2 weeks time.

Good news!

They have both put on weight!!

Jimby has gone from 1.3kg to 1.53kg in 6 days!

Cookie has gone from 1.46kg to 1.65kg I. 6 days!

We opted not to go for bloods just now and will review in 2 weeks time.

It's good that they have put on a bit of weight. What did the Vet say about Jims hind leg weakness and snuffly breathing ? Did he/she give you any additional advice about their diet ?

It's good that they have put on a bit of weight. What did the Vet say about Jims hind leg weakness and snuffly breathing ? Did he/she give you any additional advice about their diet ?

He suspects it is due to weight loss and likely to be due to age related arthritis.
He could not hear any snuffles etc so we are keeping an eye on that side of things but don't want to give antibiotics unless they are clinically needed due to the gut bacteria.

He suspects it is due to weight loss and likely to be due to age related arthritis.
He could not hear any snuffles etc so we are keeping an eye on that side of things but don't want to give antibiotics unless they are clinically needed due to the gut bacteria.

Yes, unnecessary use/over use of abx is always best avoided :) I hope that now you have taken over the day to day care of Jims and Cookie they will regain condition and start to feel a lot better.

I agree with the antibiotics not being given unless needed :thumb:

I probably mentioned this much earlier, but I've had success (and others on here) with anabolic steroids. Not the same as the normal corticosteroid. It helps build up muscle and increases appetite.

Sounds like you're really on the case with Jims :D

I did ask about the anabolic steroids and the vet did not see a reason to give it to him today as he has gained weight on his own so well so we are keeping on as we are for now. But thank you for the advice.

I did ask about the anabolic steroids and the vet did not see a reason to give it to him today as he has gained weight on his own so well so we are keeping on as we are for now. But thank you for the advice.

He's gained weight - great news!

You're really welcome. Let me know if I can help in any way :)

That's OK, it's far better for Jims to be gaining weight without the need to give an anabolic steroid :)

Great to hear about their weight gain. Carrot, oats and banana always help with weight gain. I don't know who does the shopping but sometimes you can get them in the reduced section.

I could always send you a bag of orchard grass hay, I have to buy a bale for Mr B, so have loads. Xxx

Thank you everyone! He is still on the metacam but we are going to start cutting the dose down to 0.3ml instead of 0.5ml to try and not add to any possibility of kidney failure.

I am a bit concerned as they are due their Filivac booster on the 21st should I be worried about VHD?

Back