• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really worried about Jims

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Hi
I am extremely worried about Jimby. I hadn't snuggled with him for a couple of days and tonight went in with him and had a snuggle and the first thing I noticed was how skinny he is and that his bones are protruding, he literally feels like skin and bones.
He also had not been acting quite himself the past couple of days, quite inactive, less interested in things like normally he will rush up to me if I go near the bunny house where as the past day or so he has not.
Plus possibly most worrying he seems to be off balance, he toppled over a few times tonight.
He is eating and going to the toilet, I felt his bum tonight and he had poop stuck to his bun which I removed and gave him a bun massage and he did a few poops on my hand so hopefully that 'de bunged' him

Taking them to the vet tomorrow, was supposed to just be cookie as I think she has eye infections but will be taking Jims too, is there any way this may be E.C?

Hi
I am extremely worried about Jimby. I hadn't snuggled with him for a couple of days and tonight went in with him and had a snuggle and the first thing I noticed was how skinny he is and that his bones are protruding, he literally feels like skin and bones.
He also had not been acting quite himself the past couple of days, quite inactive, less interested in things like normally he will rush up to me if I go near the bunny house where as the past day or so he has not.
Plus possibly most worrying he seems to be off balance, he toppled over a few times tonight.
He is eating and going to the toilet, I felt his bum tonight and he had poop stuck to his bun which I removed and gave him a bun massage and he did a few poops on my hand so hopefully that 'de bunged' him

Taking them to the vet tomorrow, was supposed to just be cookie as I think she has eye infections but will be taking Jims too, is there any way this may be E.C?
Also can rabbits catch worms from humans? Jack caught worms from school and I'm not sure if I got them top and obviously I have been kissing Jims on the lips.

I am sorry that Jims is causing you concern. I wont post suggestions of what may or may not be the problem as it will just stress you out more and kick start your OCD. You are doing exactly the right thing by taking Jims to the Vet this morning. I hope all goes well for him.

Oh and you wont pass on Jack's worms to Jims by kissing Jims x

Hi

Good luck at the vet Rachylou, and no - you won't pass on the worms so please don't worry about that!

It's not great news, he has lost half his body weight as now weighs 1.3kg instead of 2.3kg last time.
The vet said his heart rate was slow so he may not be feeling well as normally would be elevated during a vet visit.
I asked her if he was dying and she said that she can't rule it out, that he is an old bunny and he has lost an alarming amount of weight, due to him being a bit wobbly we are doing a 28day treatment of Panacure, she said do a 9 day course but I suggested the longer course. If he doesn't gain some weight by next week at the next visit she said there may not be anything else they can do for him, I can't accept that!

I'm so sorry, that's horrible news to hear. How old is he? Do remember that buns lose weight very quickly if they're unwell but gain weight quite slowly, so don't expect any major improvement weight-wise in only a week.

Did the Vet not suggest running a full blood profile to check his kidney/liver function ?

It seems a tad premature for the Vet to state that 'there is nothing more she can do'. I assume the Vet checked Jim's teeth ? He has had Dental problems hasn't he.

Personally I would feed him his pellet feed separately from Cookie to monitor exactly how much of them he is eating.

What is his daily diet at the moment ? Did the Vet suggest making some alterations to increase his calorie intake? Have you noticed that Jims is drinking and weeing more than usual ? I would monitor that closely too.

It's not great news, he has lost half his body weight as now weighs 1.3kg instead of 2.3kg last time.
The vet said his heart rate was slow so he may not be feeling well as normally would be elevated during a vet visit.
I asked her if he was dying and she said that she can't rule it out, that he is an old bunny and he has lost an alarming amount of weight, due to him being a bit wobbly we are doing a 28day treatment of Panacure, she said do a 9 day course but I suggested the longer course. If he doesn't gain some weight by next week at the next visit she said there may not be anything else they can do for him, I can't accept that!

So sorry rachylou :(

Did your vet suggest doing any tests /diagnostics to rule out any possible kidney failure (which may happen as a bun gets older)? One of mine had a blood test a while ago to rule out any possible cause of weight loss, and it came back fine so we knew it wasn't kidneys. It'd be good to know for sure.

Loads of vibes and good luck for Jims xx

They eat together but have different bowls so I know if he is eating his share.
Up till about a month ago we had stopped giving pellets just unlimited hay (Dan changes their boxes as it really affects my asthma, but he often doesn't do it enough and they are left with peed on hay to eat)
Then we started up with the Profibre pellets, a small portion per day but due to finances cut down dramatically on their fresh herbs.
It's only over the past week at most that we have seen the change in Jims.

No I mentioned a blood test and she said 'it is very hard to get blood from a rabbit'
Which yes I know is true but he has had blood taken before so it is possible.
Believe me I will be getting what ever test we can if need be, I'm not going to give up on my boy!!
Jane I think he may be drinking more, I think that may have been going on for a while.
If it is kidney failure is that a death sentence?

Last edited:
I've had three bunnies all of whom have had bloods taken and I certainly think it is worth trying as he is still young and could be something that can be treated.

I'm not giving up on him! I don't know how we are going to do financially but somehow we will do it I will sell my car if I have to

I'm sorry to see this update. I can't suggest anything, I just don't have the knowledge, but just wanted to give you a bit of support.

Thank you, please keep them coming, we really appreciate it.
I had a big snuggle with Jims tonight and we had a chat about how he is a strong boy and we are going to fight together to get him better for Christmas. He HAS to make it, I can not loose my boy, I just can't it's not an option!

Rachylou, I'm so sorry Jimby is poorly :( I hope the panacur helps.

I agree with others, 8 isn't old really, and I'm surprised at any vet saying 'There's nothing more we can do' without so much as a faecal really! With money being tight at the moment, maybe looking into a new vet is an idea so you know you're getting your moneys worth? Whilst I know he's on panacur it sounds like you had to push for this, and a vet should be working off initiate to investigate the problem a little more off their own back I feel.

In regards to the worms, some worms are zoonotic and this includes pinworms however, please believe me when I say kissing Jack and then kissing Jimby isn't likely to spread them at all - you would need to have an extremely heavy infestation yourself and, not to be grim but have very poor hygiene in order to spread them to Jimby. (I'm not suggesting anyone who's ever caught worms is unhygienic by the way - just that to pass them onto a rabbit would be quite a feat). Jack isn't likely to spread them to rabbits either, washing his hands after going to the toilet is enough to protect others. It's a moot point anyway since he is on a lengthy course of panacur now.

There are a couple things I want to mention in a desire to help, so I hope it doesn't cause upset as it's genuinely not intended x

First the litter boxes. I don't how often they are being cleaned out so I don't know if it's an actual problem but as you suggest it is one and they need cleaning out more I thought I would mention this. With any animal good husbandry is the best preventative measure against illness & endo/ecto parasites, but of course animals can and do still get sick in even the cleanest of environments :wave: If you do feel however the rabbits aren't getting cleaned enough and so are often eating soiled hay this does really need addressing. I developed my asthma whilst working in extremely dusty environments in a zoo (anyone who's ever had to deep clean a meerkat enclosure or deep straw beds in very enclosed areas will know what I mean) so I do feel your pain. However, paper mouth/nose masks are an absolute god send, very cheap and really help. Perhaps investing in those and doing inbetween cleans when you feel Dan isn't doing enough is an idea so you can ensure they are getting cleaned out enough, and because it's only between and not all the time, shouldn't be too harsh or triggering for you to do the odd clean with protection. :wave:

Ie the pellets/herbs. Reducing/cutting their herbs won't cause weight loss - but overall reduction in calories can, and as someone else mentioned, buns can loose weight very quickly due to their high metabolism. It would be worth at this time slightly increasing his pellet ration to see if this helps - or slowly changing to another brand that has a bit higher energy. While Jimby isn't old he's no kitten either, and as rabbits get older age effects them differently. Some get overweight and some do struggle to keep the weight on (Like my Micky who was the same age as Jimby). It's worth baring in mind we've just got into winter, and again this can trigger weight loss in buns whom are prone to it, and it can happen quickly too. If they're not getting enough energy from food they will start using up fat reserves, which goes very quickly since rabbits don't have a lot of it.

I'm not of course suggesting this is care related at all since Jimby does have other symptoms than weight loss, just that these are a couple of points that could be addressed in the mean time to see if they help. Good luck, and healing vibes for Jimby, Rach. :wave:

They eat together but have different bowls so I know if he is eating his share.
Up till about a month ago we had stopped giving pellets just unlimited hay (Dan changes their boxes as it really affects my asthma, but he often doesn't do it enough and they are left with peed on hay to eat)
Then we started up with the Profibre pellets, a small portion per day but due to finances cut down dramatically on their fresh herbs.
It's only over the past week at most that we have seen the change in Jims.

No I mentioned a blood test and she said 'it is very hard to get blood from a rabbit'
Which yes I know is true but he has had blood taken before so it is possible.
Believe me I will be getting what ever test we can if need be, I'm not going to give up on my boy!!
Jane I think he may be drinking more, I think that may have been going on for a while.
If it is kidney failure is that a death sentence?

Thank you Jessbun!
I have ordered the nose mouth masks from Amazon so thank you for that idea!
We have increased the Profibre pellets and also am starting to introduce Science selective though he doesn't seem so keen on them.

Back