• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re: fostering **update page 11**

Personally I would put some chicken wire along the base of the divide so they can’t stick their noses right through. A nip on the nose is often the result if they do that and one Bun decides to take exception to it. With mesh wire they can touch noses, but not bite.

Apologies for not updating the thread over the last few weeks - in case anyone was wondering about bugsy (and Flo). Things have been a little ‘strained’ until today. A few weeks back someone hit my car whilst stationary at a junction. She was turning right in front of me and hit me as she drove past! That’s a £2500 bill on her insurance. I could have done without the aggro that’s in the wake of that - insurance statements, days off to go to garages etc.
Then last weekend things got very de ja vue and a lot happened. On Thursday last week as I put bugsy away before work, he went upstairs in his hutch and didn’t want any pellets. He’s a pellet monster and his routine up to then was ‘in hutch, stuff face with pellets’. I offered him one and he refused. I got worried. I left my son on rabbit duty and by 10am bugsy still hadn’t eaten so we called the rescue centre as we are only fostering bugsy, explained the situation and my concerns (7 weeks after losing Alfred) and bugsy was taken straight to the vets by the charity. My heart sank and I was sick with worry. The update later was bugsy was being kept under obs for the day. In the evening he was discharged and the charity crash pad looked after him that night. He didn’t poop, didn’t eat yet all his test results were normal.
The charity kept him the next day (last Friday) and he still didn’t eat or poop except for some fresh garden forage. He went back to the vets twice more including the ooh vet and still they found nothing. I was really really worried and felt awful.
Anyway, last Sunday we were asked to collect him as he’d done a few poops but was bright and perky. He came back home with us and let rip with poop and wee. It took him a few days to settle. Flo was also very worried and looking for her pal. It was a horrid 72 hours. My hunch was that Bugsy can get stressed and as I posted here, it takes him a few days to pass anything. Everything I saw of him told me he was in stasis but every test came back negative.
We were due to attempt to bond Flo and bugsy last Sunday so it was unfortunate.
We rearranged bonding for tomorrow. Fast forward to today. I’m away all day so I left Jan in charge. She had a simple job- feed bunnies, let bugsy out, let Flo out, keep an eye on them. One simple job. How hard can it be?
I got a text just before 8am. Jan had gone to put porridge on, both Flo and bugsy out. In the 2 minutes she’d left them, bugsy decided he’d had enough of being stuck in his part of the garden and promptly bust thro the metal fence gate we’d made, and was now sitting with Flo on her side! I was like “whaaaat?” And Jan was not sure what to do.
So, things have moved on quite quickly in the last few hours. ‘Horace’ has made himself cosy in the kitchen diner - demanding the same stuff Flo has (she was eating a sweetheart cabbage) and they’ve been ‘chilling’ together. I can’t do photos yet as I’m not near a pc. The centre aren’t coming tomorrow now - as it seems that so far we have a situation where they are both happy together - not bonded.
I’ll update when I’m home tomorrow. Life is very weird sometimes.

Apologies for not updating the thread over the last few weeks - in case anyone was wondering about bugsy (and Flo). Things have been a little ‘strained’ until today. A few weeks back someone hit my car whilst stationary at a junction. She was turning right in front of me and hit me as she drove past! That’s a £2500 bill on her insurance. I could have done without the aggro that’s in the wake of that - insurance statements, days off to go to garages etc.
Then last weekend things got very de ja vue and a lot happened. On Thursday last week as I put bugsy away before work, he went upstairs in his hutch and didn’t want any pellets. He’s a pellet monster and his routine up to then was ‘in hutch, stuff face with pellets’. I offered him one and he refused. I got worried. I left my son on rabbit duty and by 10am bugsy still hadn’t eaten so we called the rescue centre as we are only fostering bugsy, explained the situation and my concerns (7 weeks after losing Alfred) and bugsy was taken straight to the vets by the charity. My heart sank and I was sick with worry. The update later was bugsy was being kept under obs for the day. In the evening he was discharged and the charity crash pad looked after him that night. He didn’t poop, didn’t eat yet all his test results were normal.
The charity kept him the next day (last Friday) and he still didn’t eat or poop except for some fresh garden forage. He went back to the vets twice more including the ooh vet and still they found nothing. I was really really worried and felt awful.
Anyway, last Sunday we were asked to collect him as he’d done a few poops but was bright and perky. He came back home with us and let rip with poop and wee. It took him a few days to settle. Flo was also very worried and looking for her pal. It was a horrid 72 hours. My hunch was that Bugsy can get stressed and as I posted here, it takes him a few days to pass anything. Everything I saw of him told me he was in stasis but every test came back negative.
We were due to attempt to bond Flo and bugsy last Sunday so it was unfortunate.
We rearranged bonding for tomorrow. Fast forward to today. I’m away all day so I left Jan in charge. She had a simple job- feed bunnies, let bugsy out, let Flo out, keep an eye on them. One simple job. How hard can it be?
I got a text just before 8am. Jan had gone to put porridge on, both Flo and bugsy out. In the 2 minutes she’d left them, bugsy decided he’d had enough of being stuck in his part of the garden and promptly bust thro the metal fence gate we’d made, and was now sitting with Flo on her side! I was like “whaaaat?” And Jan was not sure what to do.
So, things have moved on quite quickly in the last few hours. ‘Horace’ has made himself cosy in the kitchen diner - demanding the same stuff Flo has (she was eating a sweetheart cabbage) and they’ve been ‘chilling’ together. I can’t do photos yet as I’m not near a pc. The centre aren’t coming tomorrow now - as it seems that so far we have a situation where they are both happy together - not bonded.
I’ll update when I’m home tomorrow. Life is very weird sometimes.

Blimey Craig, I feel exhausted just reading your post ! It's all happening at once isn't it ? Sorry about your car, but glad that you are ok, but pleased that Bugsy appears to be ok and eating and pooping. As to the bonding fingers and paws crossed here, but sounds positive :thumb:

Your family has had quite a lot of worries since your prior post.
Though it seems as if the bunnies did not want to wait any longer for a bonding session. Sending vibes for you all.

Rabbits can be quite determined. Hope they remain friends now and that you can relax. Poor Jan "how hard can it be" haha!

Ah wow even I had a hard time reading your update. But it sounds good for bonding xx

Back