• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rainy Day Runs

SkegMag

Warren Scout
Sukie's in a cage in the kitchen and gets to run both in the kitchen and out in the (secure) yard as she pleases. She still (chooses) to go outside when it rains and the yard is wet. Will running about in the rain do her any harm? Furthermore, will she be ok in the snow - that'll be upon us before we know it!

i dont think so... although ours hate the rain! so long as she gets a towel rub and a towel to lie on when she comes in (and doesnt get too soaked!)

Thank you, she doesn't seem to notice the rain lol! Good idea about toweling her when she comes back in. Cheers! :)

Is it really OK to let indoor buns outside in the winter?

I put George and Gemma out today and it rained while I was at work and I really worried they would be ill. My outdoor buns sit in the rain and it doesn't bother me but I thought buns had to be kept at more or less the same temperature and in the winter needed to be either inside buns or outdoor buns?

Ok, thanks, Rhianna. I'm new to rabbit-keeping so picking up valuable info as I go along. I need to resolve this temp fluctuation issue - we're ok at mo because the weather's mild.

What breed is she? Some breeds can suffer from sore hocks which can be made worse by concrete, hard flooring & wet. Usually it's breeds like rexes that are affected as they have thinner fur on their feet - but I have had an English Spot & a conti with worse problems than my rex ever had

Massive temperature changes aren't a good idea as the bun won't have a thick winter coat if kept indoors - but my indoor buns live with windows open 24/7 & no heating on so they can still go out unless there's snow/frost on the ground:D

I think she's a lionhead, Angie, or lion/lop

11.jpg

I think she's a lionhead, Angie, or lion/lop

11.jpg

:love: Awwww she is cute, I would imagine she won't go out if it's too wet or unpleasant, providing it's secure and not too warm inside in comparison to out I would just leave her to it, she is obviously used to it, I'm not sure I'd let her nip in and out if it was lashing down although I suspect she wouldn't want to be out in that anyway, mine don't mind light rain they are in a covered run but if it starts lashing down they soon go in :lol:. Just saw your comments about the snow - your main problem is going to be either keeping the kitchen the same temperature or near to the outside one or she could be at risk of overheating/getting cold going out, it's around now you need to decide in or out for the winter I'd say, it's fine on warmish dry days but, you wouldn't be wise to let her out from heated house into snow - she wouldn't have anything to protect her - she can't put a coat on as extra and will have adapted to your house temperature. Can be very dangerous with extreme temperatures.

Last edited:
Back