• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits on their back

I have never turned my fluffly buns on their backs to brush them, I just lift each leg in turn to get underneath :?

My buns would never let me lift their legs high enough to do it properly :?

Are your long haired? I've never seen a knot anywhere on a short haired bun.

Maybe you could tilt your rabbits back as pretty lupin said a few posts up :)

I don't like trancing my buns, but I have done it a couple times to Milo to quickly trim nails.

It makes me wonder, though, which is worse: trancing a bunny for 30 seconds or struggling with a stubborn bunny for 15 minutes trying to clip nails?

I find with rabbits, you always have to go with the lesser of two evils. Milo lets me trim his front feet with no fight. But as soon as I even dream of touching his back feet, and he twists his head and "flicker feets" me.

Like when I was trying to give Eddison Baytril, he wouldn't take it orally. So while I didn't like doing it, the lesser evil was injecting in the back of his neck. There, I risk sterile abscesses, but it was better than stressing him out with 1.25mL of oral Baytril for half an hour.

I can't even imagine how my buns would let me check their teeth without trancing for a few seconds. :shock:

I don't like trancing my buns, but I have done it a couple times to Milo to quickly trim nails.

It makes me wonder, though, which is worse: trancing a bunny for 30 seconds or struggling with a stubborn bunny for 15 minutes trying to clip nails?

I find with rabbits, you always have to go with the lesser of two evils. Milo lets me trim his front feet with no fight. But as soon as I even dream of touching his back feet, and he twists his head and "flicker feets" me.

Like when I was trying to give Eddison Baytril, he wouldn't take it orally. So while I didn't like doing it, the lesser evil was injecting in the back of his neck. There, I risk sterile abscesses, but it was better than stressing him out with 1.25mL of oral Baytril for half an hour.

I can't even imagine how my buns would let me check their teeth without trancing for a few seconds. :shock:

I'm lucky with nails and teeth, my vet sorts it all out everytime we go. I know I should be checking their teeth more often, but as mine have yet to have a problem with their front teeth and you can't see the back ones anyway, I don't see the point stressing them.

Are your long haired? I've never seen a knot anywhere on a short haired bun.

Maybe you could tilt your rabbits back as pretty lupin said a few posts up :)

Flash isn't really longhaired, but maybe slightly longer than some buns.
And it would be too hard to just tilt him :lol: It's hard enough when he is laid down!

Same. If I touch Flash or Harley's nose or mouth, they just move backwards, go sideways, or move their heads.

I'm lucky with nails and teeth, my vet sorts it all out every time we go. I know I should be checking their teeth more often, but as mine have yet to have a problem with their front teeth and you can't see the back ones anyway, I don't see the point stressing them.

Certainly, that makes sense. :) I think our goals are the same, and that's to stress our rabbits to a minimum, as they react so poorly to stress. I'm just wondering if, sometimes, trancing can be the lesser of two evils. If I ever find a less stressful way to do something for my buns, I will definitely do it that way.

Flash isn't really longhaired, but maybe slightly longer than some buns.
And it would be too hard to just tilt him :lol: It's hard enough when he is laid down!

I've trained Milo to be ok with me just lifting up his front end. I put one hand around his chest/front legs and lift him off the ground, while he keeps his back legs on the floor. I'll normally hug his back to my chest to keep him feeling safe. I got him used to this by picking his front up a little during a long pet session, petting him that way for a minute, then giving him some basil. Now he's very used to it, and it lets me comb underneath his fluffy belly. :)

I've trained Milo to be ok with me just lifting up his front end. I put one hand around his chest/front legs and lift him off the ground, while he keeps his back legs on the floor. I'll normally hug his back to my chest to keep him feeling safe. I got him used to this by picking his front up a little during a long pet session, petting him that way for a minute, then giving him some basil. Now he's very used to it, and it lets me comb underneath his fluffy belly. :)

Yes but trying to get right in, and seperating the fur and boy bits to try brush is very hard that way :lol:

Yes but trying to get right in, and seperating the fur and boy bits to try brush is very hard that way :lol:

I think it'll just take a bit of pratice, but once you and the rabbit get used to it, it will become easier. And you wont have to needlessly stress you rabbit.

I've trained Milo to be ok with me just lifting up his front end. I put one hand around his chest/front legs and lift him off the ground, while he keeps his back legs on the floor. I'll normally hug his back to my chest to keep him feeling safe.

This is how my vet checks my bunnies underside during a routine exam. He stands them up on their back legs holding their front legs up in the air and against his chest on the exam table, and then leans over and checks down and around the genitals. Both my buns tolerate this very well. I can't believe I haven't thought of this at home! :roll::lol:

I lean them back to check bums while they in my lap but they are not totally on their back.

Last edited:
my rabbit is short haired and sometimes gets matts between his back legs. I have to either brush them out or cut them. I couldnt do this if he wasent completely still and having him on his back is the only way to do this. Yes I dont think he likes it but It has to be done...just as many rabbits dont like going to the vets or being treated for an illness it has to be done.

my rabbit is short haired and sometimes gets matts between his back legs. I have to either brush them out or cut them. I couldnt do this if he wasent completely still and having him on his back is the only way to do this. Yes I dont think he likes it but It has to be done...just as many rabbits dont like going to the vets or being treated for an illness it has to be done.

I think for that you might need to think about why he would be getting matts between his back legs, like are they pooey matts or something like that?

Back