• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Warts????? - UD off to the vets now.

Yeah mine were all treated to, although I had to ask them to treat Poppy as he didn't want to at first as she wasn't showing symtoms.

Poor Henry, and poor your bank balance - but it does sound like with treatment they can all be treated successfully :)

Tinkerbell's Syph looked exactly like that.

Easily treatable though and Tinkerbell has been clear of it for 2 years now.

What I really need to know is how contagious it is.

Henry has been living with Humphrey for 7 months and with Oscar since the babies were born so nearly 3 months.

I'm quite positive he is the father of the babies. And all that took was a 30 second escape.

But if it is only sexually transmitted then the boys cannot have it but Boo and the babies could have... or if it is tranmitted by touch then they all could have???

i will have them all treated but for them and my bank balance i'd rather not unless totally ness :?:?

It's an std BUT I think it's transferred by the bun from the gentile area to the face/ears by washing so I guess that with the close grooming rabbits do it would be possible to transfer from one buns face to another by washing too?

Yeah Sweetpea had it when we got her (vets didn't know what it was but said it wasn't contagious :roll: ) I have never seen Gus hump her or vice versa but they groom each other so that must be how he got it.

Maybe your vet could get you a discount for a bulk buy of depocilin?

You probably need to do all the ones in contact with each other at the same time (or a day apart if you need two trips) if you stagger them to much they'll reinfect each other.

Is you vet local? It might be worth asking how much for a home visit.

Tam

Well we've been. The vet agreed with me that it looked like rabbit syphillis. We discussed the antibiotic options and he looked in his rabbit vet book.

Hen's been treated with a new broad spectrum anti-biotic called convenia. it lasts 2 weeks.

Me and the vet agreed that we will treat them all if any of the others show signs.

It is a sexually transmitted disease, the reason it shows on the face is because it affects mucus membranes (lips, nose, eyes, ears, genitals). So it is uncertain if say Humphrey could have it.

We will wait and see.

The vet was quite worried about treating with penicilin and this 'newer' antibiotic treats all the things penicilin will so with the lower risk thought it was worth a try. Henry is certainly not showing and signs of being ill in anyway so I thought it would be worth seing of he can be the pioneer for rabbit medicine!!!:D

What I really need to know is how contagious it is.

I was told that it's really contagious and that is certainly my experience. The first bun I ever fostered turned out to have syphilis and Dudley was only in contact with him sniffing through the bars for a few seconds, and several weeks later Dudley came down with it. I suspect it's a bit like VHD in that it can hang about in the environment and be transferred around via bits of straw blowing around in the wind, on your clothes etc, and not simply sexually transmitted. The problem is because it has a 12 week incubation you could end up in a permanent cycle of reinfection if all 'in contact' buns are not treated at the same time.

Just seems strange if it really is that contageous as my 4 original buns have had plenty of contact since i have had them and the onyl new additions were born here so it must have come from one of the original buns. So in that case why has only henry shown symptoms?

Me and the vet agreed that if any others showed symptoms then we would treat all of them together.

:D

Just seems strange if it really is that contageous as my 4 original buns have had plenty of contact since i have had them

It may well be that they can be 'carriers' and that it is contagious non-sexually when it forms external crustings & secretion. So if it is only recently that he has had obvious symptoms, it is now contagious so I would expect the 'in contact' buns to develop symptoms in about 3 months time. Of course they may also have had contact and be symptomatic carriers in any case so the contact now may not affect them. But I suspect that other cases may appear about 12 weeks or so after the initial symptoms started in the current one.

Back