• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed desperately Rabbit peeing/marking

Dazztee

New Kit
Hi my house rabbit white male lion head nearly 6 yrs old called MrJangles
neuterd at 6 mnths only ever lived indoors litter trained has a cage always open, spent 1st yr in kitchen then got run of the house,
bonded with me lies an sleeps at my feet comes when i call his name, (only me) he was my daughters rabbit but came to live with me,
we had a special bond hes spoilt has a routine has breakfast with me evry morning banana, granola, red grapes, gets excited to see me runs to my chair an waits like a puppy, hears wrappers wrinkle comes running to me, this rabbit is spoilt beyond belief,
in dec he started pooin an area in middle of room an lying in it which is uncommon for him
then started weein in areas, it always happens if i leave the room, then he runs back to the kitchen,
ive grabbed him an put his nose in it recently he knows when im angry an runs but now hes fighting back an thumping at me,
its become upto 3 times a day, he gets punshe, nose init shouted put in cage for a night, i shout get to jail he runs to his cage,
my carpet is wrecked now it needs changing anyway but this last week despite punishments
as i clean one he will come inspect me an then do another defiently,
im being challenged these arnt accidents, im desperate i dont know what to do or try
thought, daughter moved out december, to my oldest daughters house they have a dog

Last edited:
Hi my house rabbit white male lion head nearly 6 yrs old called MrJangles
neuterd at 6 mnths only ever lived indoors litter trained has a cage always open, spent 1st yr in kitchen then got run of the house,
bonded with me lies an sleeps at my feet comes when i call his name, (only me) he was my daughters rabbit but came to live with me,
we had a special bond hes spoilt has a routine has breakfast with me evry morning banana, granola, red grapes, gets excited to see me runs to my chair an waits like a puppy, hears wrappers wrinkle comes running to me, this rabbit is spoilt beyond belief,
in dec he started pooin an area in middle of room an lying in it which is uncommon for him
then started weein in areas, it always happens if i leave the room, then he runs back to the kitchen,
ive grabbed him an put his nose in it recently he knows when im angry an runs but now hes fighting back an thumping at me,
its become upto 3 times a day, he gets punshe, nose init shouted put in cage for a night, i shout get to jail he runs to his cage,
my carpet is wrecked now it needs changing anyway but this last week despite punishments
as i clean one he will come inspect me an then do another defiently,
im being challenged these arnt accidents, im desperate i dont know what to do or try

Punishing a Rabbit is never going to work. They are a prey animal. They do not have human thought processes.

Please, please NEVER again ‘rub his face’ in the soiling. Doing so is cruel ☹️ As is locking him in a cage all night as a punishment.

His change of behaviour is not because he is deliberately being naughty. He is probably doing it more because he is getting increasingly stressed and miserable.

When was his last health check. In Rabbits any sudden changes in behaviour can be a very early warning sign of an underlying health problem. So in the first instance you need to rule this out by getting him health checked by a Rabbit Savvy Vet.

In the short term I suggest you change how he is housed. Create a large enclosure for him with environmental enrichment, litter trays etc. Having him free range is clearly not working and stopping him from territory marking/stress marking will be impossible unless you break the cycle by prevention not punishment.

Suggestions for indoor housing here

I also suggest that you learn about the psychology of Rabbits

Punishing a Rabbit is never going to work. They are a prey animal. They do not have human thought processes.

Please, please NEVER again ‘rub his face’ in the soiling. Doing so is cruel ☹️ As is locking him in a cage all night as a punishment.

His change of behaviour is not because he is deliberately being naughty. He is probably doing it more because he is getting increasingly stressed and miserable.

When was his last health check. In Rabbits any sudden changes in behaviour can be a very early warning sign of an underlying health problem. So in the first instance you need to rule this out by getting him health checked by a Rabbit Savvy Vet.

In the short term I suggest you change how he is housed. Create a large enclosure for him with environmental enrichment, litter trays etc. Having him free range is clearly not working and stopping him from territory marking/stress marking will be impossible unless you break the cycle by prevention not punishment.

Suggestions for indoor housing here

I also suggest that you learn about the psychology of Rabbits

as explained MrJangles live in the kitchen/frontroom and owns the house,
his enviroment couldnt be much better
and for nearly 6 years hes lived in this enviroment sleeping relaxing at my feet like my best friend,
and NOT peeing, until now
now my youngest daughter has left its just me an him he is literally my friend

as explained MrJangles live in the kitchen/frontroom and owns the house,
his enviroment couldnt be much better
and for nearly 6 years hes lived in this enviroment sleeping relaxing at my feet like my best friend,
and NOT peeing, until now
now my youngest daughter has left its just me an him he is literally my friend

So he's started peeing following a change in the household? It sounds stress induced, and as other's have said, you seem to be stressing him out further by getting angry, lashing out, and constraining his environment, which is making the problem worse. Poor bunny.

Hello there,

I’d recommend taking him to the vet, first of all. There may be an underlying health issue.

Secondly, rubbing his nose in it and shouting at him is cruel. He doesn’t understand and all you are doing is frightening him.

Your carpet - well, it’s a shame but that is what it’s like living with pets. It happens. Carpets, door posts, blankets, cushions, towels, clothes... It’s what they do. If you can’t cope with that, it’s kinder to find him a new owner who has love and patience, and who has had rabbits before.

Your bun needs support and care.

Please do not shout at your rabbit and push his face in his pee!!! You are likely exacerbating the problem and stressing him out even more.

I know it can be frustrating when they pee on your carpet, I've recently experienced the same after my bun had an operation, but it's part of having pets. Rug Doctor sells a good pet friendly carpet cleaning product, can sometimes take a few goes andnsome elbow grease but it tends to get it out eventually. White vinegar in a spray bottle can also help neutralise the smell.

It sounds like you've answered your own question when you state your daughter has recently moved out, he's had a change in environment and for whatever reason it's caused some stress in him. He can't tell you what the problem is so it may take some trial and error to completely stop it but please, please do not punish him in this way.

I woud put a large litter tray where he is toileting and just accept it for now, pending a visit to the vet. Health issues need to be checked out.
Reducing his space at night really isn't going to help, and will be causing more stress.

I just wanted to add if you continue punishing your rabbit at some point he may turn and bite you, as from your description he sounds stressed, so again I would urge a drastic change in how you approach this issue.

Back