• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit sneezing but no other symptoms.

Hello, one of my rabbits has been sneezing for about a month. She has been to the vet twice and has been on antibiotics and childrens benadryl but to no effect. I haven't seen any discharge, the vet said her ears, nose, and teeth are all fine. She is completely fine outside of the sneezing, although the vet said she lost a little weight in the 2 weeks between appointments. Less than half a pound she said. The bunny has been moulting hard and is just now getting to the end of that. She is eating fine, she is energetic and acting completely normal outside the sneezing. I have an air purifier at max 24/7, I changed her hay for a short while to test that, I moved her into a different room but nothing seems to work. My question is should i be concerned enough to have a head x-ray done for her? I have one scheduled for Wednesday but it's expensive and I'm not in the best financial place atm. I'd have to start a payment plan and I will I just want to know if it is the best option or if she is ok with how she normal she is acting and I can hold off on the xray? I don't want to hold off if it's the start of something serious but it's been over a month of sneezing and she seems fine. Thank you in advance and apologies if my post is a mess lol.

Given that there is unexplained weight loss I would want diagnostics run
Not only skull radiographs but chest too. Continuous dry sneezing can be an indication of an infection in the lungs.

That said, Rabbits in heavy moult can sneeze quite a lot as the loose fur can irritate their nostrils. This is especially likely to happen in brachycephalic Rabbits.

Last edited:
She is a lop rabbit so that would fit. Would a head xray be able to find any clues towards a lung infection do you know? It does seem like her sneezing isn't as bad as before which is why I started doubting the need for the tests but it's hard to really tell since her sneezing is intermittent and I'm gone for work a lot. I was told a ct scan might be needed if the head scan doesn't find anything.

This is interesting. I’m in a very similar situation with my lop - heavy molt, dry sneezing but otherwise fine. Eating, toileting - been for 3rd vet appointment today.

We’re going to try a medication (forgot name) but unfortunately out of stock with supplier right now.

It’s sort of like hayfever.

Will follow this thread with interest xx

She is a lop rabbit so that would fit. Would a head xray be able to find any clues towards a lung infection do you know? It does seem like her sneezing isn't as bad as before which is why I started doubting the need for the tests but it's hard to really tell since her sneezing is intermittent and I'm gone for work a lot. I was told a ct scan might be needed if the head scan doesn't find anything.

No, a chest X-ray is needed to check lungs.

Dental problems involving tooth root elongation sounds to be the most likely possibility. Elongated tooth roots can cause a lot of sneezing. This can progress to runny eyes and a nasal discharge. The only way to see if the tooth roots are elongated is from skull radiographs. They cannot be ruled out just by checking what can be seen of the crowns of the teeth when doing an oral examination.

TRE can cause weight loss as the Rabbit is likely to eat less. This might just mean little grazing on hay but they still eat their pellet rations. So unless they are observed a lot of the time the initial reduction in food intake might go unnoticed.

Jane gave you good advice.
Losing weight suggests either the sneezing or the cause of the sneezing is interfering with your bunny's eating.
Sending vibes for your bunny.

No, a chest X-ray is needed to check lungs.

Dental problems involving tooth root elongation sounds to be the most likely possibility. Elongated tooth roots can cause a lot of sneezing. This can progress to runny eyes and a nasal discharge. The only way to see if the tooth roots are elongated is from skull radiographs. They cannot be ruled out just by checking what can be seen of the crowns of the teeth when doing an oral examination.

TRE can cause weight loss as the Rabbit is likely to eat less. This might just mean little grazing on hay but they still eat their pellet rations. So unless they are observed a lot of the time the initial reduction in food intake might go unnoticed.

Thank you for your replies, it helps knowing why the test is needed. It seems like she has been eating a lot of hay to me, I check in on the camera and when I put fresh hay out she eats a lot of it. Which made the weight loss confusing as nothing seemed to change in her diet but that doesn't mean I'm just not noticing it. But the scan is Wednesday so I can rule it out or not then.

Thank you for your replies, it helps knowing why the test is needed. It seems like she has been eating a lot of hay to me, I check in on the camera and when I put fresh hay out she eats a lot of it. Which made the weight loss confusing as nothing seemed to change in her diet but that doesn't mean I'm just not noticing it. But the scan is Wednesday so I can rule it out or not then.

A full blood profile would be a good idea too. Unexplained weight loss can be indicative of a problem with renal function.

This is interesting. I’m in a very similar situation with my lop - heavy molt, dry sneezing but otherwise fine. Eating, toileting - been for 3rd vet appointment today.

We’re going to try a medication (forgot name) but unfortunately out of stock with supplier right now.

It’s sort of like hayfever.

Will follow this thread with interest xx

How did your 3rd appointment go? Just got back from a head and body scan for my bun and they didn't find anything. I have a checkup for her 1 month from now to see if she is doing better or if we need to do a deep dental scan for a tooth abscess.

Back