• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not pooing - possible stasis

Hi all

Update time:

Our bunny went to the vets this morning and they sedated him whilst they did an x-ray of his belly and one of his mouth/teeth (after reading up about that being a major contributing factor on the web yesterday and having it said to me on this forum).

Thankfully our lovely little bun came round from the sedation and the vets did find a 6mm spur on the outside of one of his teeth, pushing into his gums (quite a sharp piece of enamel). They removed that while he was under and filed the tooth down, the rest were fine. There was no signs of any blockage in his belly, although there was a lot of gas on the x-rays.

I picked him up at 1:30 and we're at home now. He's very, VERY scared though and obviously very distressed. Just tried to pick him up to give him his Zantac but I had to put him back again after a short while as he was panicking so much, I was afraid I was going to drop him. He did take it in his cage though, but all .5ml came out at once due to the stiff syringe which isn't ideal. I've tried to loosen it up since and it appears to have worked.

They've told us to keep syringe feeding him every hour as he needs his food and that should hopefully bring on some poos, as there isn't any sign of blockage on the x-rays (and the lump they could feel on Friday and Saturday appears to have gone).

He's very wobbly, can't really drink from his bottle so I've given him a bowl (his tongue was coming out all crooked) but apparently that's just the affects of the sedation.

They recommendation is that hopefully with the bit on the tooth having been removed, he should start to eat soon and that should bring on some poos (apparently the little bit we've been feeding him by syringe and the tiny amount of hay/raisins he's eaten might not have been enough to 'pass'). They want him back tomorrow to check up on him.

Any other advice? He's definitely drinking (he's got wet chops from the bowl) and they couldn't find any build-up.

Glad he has got something sorted.

I would say just keep trying to tempt him with his favourites, when mine are poorly they can be tempted with carrot tops, hand picked grass and dandelion leaves.

Lots of vibes

FC xx

I suppose I should just better check:

Is it normal for rabbits with teeth problems to stop pooing then, even when there's no build-up (or at least visible on X-ray) in the stomach?

He's not enjoying the syringing and I am absolutely rubbish at it, can't wait for my OT to come home so we can tag-team him.

Fingers crossed he'll come through this, although it's still far too early to tell.

I am starting to wish we had pet insurance, I just didn't think we'd ever need it for a rabbit. We're up to about £200-250 I think now.

He's stopped pooing because he hasn't been eating enough of the right things due to the pain his teeth were casuing him. Pain is also enough to cause the GI tract to slow due to it contributing to stress.

Did he have a painkiller whilst at the vets due to his sore mouth? He should be more willing to eat if he has.

Also, as there was no blockage and because of the sedative which will further disrupt the GI tract, he should have been given more Metaclopromide.

I would also recommend getting some fiberplex down him.

I'm not sure if he did have a painkiller, I think they said they laid off anymore for now but would administer one in the morning if he hadn't started eating (I could have got that wrong, there was lots of information in a few short minutes).

He's had the Zantac and the Critical Care this afternoon, what is the fibreplex you mention?

He's still very groggy from being sedated, very wobbly as well.

Fiberplex is a highly concentrated fiber supplement with added probiotic that is great for helping re-establish normal gut flora and help with gut motility.

It's usually given 3 times per day for 3 days.

Any idea where we could get Fibreplex in the UK (other than the vet?)

Also, is it normal for a rabbit after being sedated to wee so much? Ours has produced a lot of wee this afternoon and has been laying in it, he was soaked underneath when I picked him up just now and had a wee on me as well I think.

I'm going to clean that corner of his hutch out, but that's a lot of wee!

I'm wondering if your vets know to give isofluorane as anaesthetic for rabbits, as he shouldn't still be groggy - could you ring and ask them what anaesthetic they used? They do struggle to come round from cat/dog stuff.

He mustn't be outside either - I'm assuming a hutch is outside? After anaesthetic they go into shock experiencing a temperature drop, so need warm, hospital type conditions to recover properly. It's going down to -2 degrees tonight as well, so will probably need heating on in the house too.

Fibreplex is fibre for rabbits not eating any - the critical care is nourishment and vitamins, but that won't make poo as poo is the undigested fibre from food.

If he's not pooed since last Wednesday, and barely eaten anything, it's likely his liver is critically damaged, and that may be another reason he's struggling to recover from the anaesthetic - that also takes a toll on the liver.

rabbits with dental spurs don't usually stop pooing because a rabbit vet will immediately investigate spurs as being a cause of loss of appetite - it's a very common problem and would never normally be allowed to go on for as long as this without dental care - it's the way your vet has neglected the situation that has made your rabbit so unusually constipated/starved - I'm glad he's finally got the treatment he needed last week - I hope he recovers now and doesn't have too badly a damaged liver or guts :(

you can make a substitute for fibreplex by mushing up some high fibre pellets soaked in boiling water from the kettle, but you will need another syringe as you will need to cut the end off the syringe to feed it, unless he will lap it up from a dish. Don't syringe anything to a rabbit that's not fully conscious though or they will choke and get pneumonia.

dandelions are usually irresistable to poorly bunnies - he will now be suffering from anorexia, literally no appetite, as he's been so long without food in his tum, so you need to tempt him before he'll be keen on eating with a sore mouth.

I think you should go back to the vets tonight and get him a shot of painkillers if he hasn't already had some, and some fibreplex - but keep him warm.

PS - forgot to say - my bunny Maa held her wee all through an operation and waited till she got home too - just nerves I think as they are scared at the vets

Glad you finally found out what the problem was and hopefully it is now all sorted.

Try a selection of herbs (shops are open late nowadays:D), grated carrot, kale and anything else that may tempt him to eat.

Hope he starts to eat and poop soon for you. As the others have said he should have a pain killer from vet too.

Im wondering if he has either had a bad rection to the GA or if the vets have given him a painkiller and it's knocked him out. If an opiate is given IV it can zone a bunny out.

Do you have a heatpad or hot water bottle you can wrap in a towel for him?

He's not groggy anymore (no wobbling), hasn't been wobbly since about 16:30/17:00 I suppose, but he's very quiet, just sitting there really. He is drinking but not interested in eating and not really moving a lot. Still he hasn't been right for days now and with the trauma of the GA, it's hardly surprising I suppose.

He's indoors in his indoor cage, and we're going to stick the heating on to keep him warm tonight. We always cover him over in doors as well, to minimise any draft, although he shouldn't really get any.

Have you tried giving him some tummies rubs to help stimulat his digestion? Also is he still bloated and gassy or has that subsided now?

He's never looked 'bloated' really, but he was definitely gassy over the weekend and was full of gas when they x-rayed him today.

I'll try the tummy rub again, as I felt bubbling on Saturday when I did it. Not heard the groaning today that I have been hearing the past couple of days though.

i hope he perks up soon, bless him. loads of bunny hugs.
when elvis needed help we put loads of mushed up spring greens/and what ever else was his fav (mash them with your nails) and he ate them.
be thinkin of you and your little man.
x

Has he had any Infacol (simethicone)? It's a oral colic suspension for human babies which is chemically inert and breaks down gas without being absorbed into the body.

It's safe for rabbits and is virtually impossible to OD on.

He's been at the vets all day today as we weren't able to be at home to feed him every hour. He also had some more painkiller and another gut motility injection.

They've syringe fed him Critical Care all day, every hour (about 5ml per hour apparently), and tried him with greens/banana/green beans and grass (as well as some other bits and pieces). He apparently ate a bit of grass.

Since being home we're syringe feeding him approximately every hour now, about 3ml, and he's probably eaten one piece of hay and one piece of long grass. I think he may have eaten a raisin as well (his favourite). He's still not got an apetite though. He's also on probiotics in his water.

He was reasonably perky when he came in, but he just tends to lay now. He still sounds a little 'gassy' if you rub his belly, but I can't feel it gurgling like I could at the weekend. He's got plenty of fight in him though, he's a real struggle to hold when he's decided that he's had enough of the syringe.

I've just picked him some rosemary which he used to love when we had it in the garden, and some Dandelions. He's sniffed at the rosemary and moved it about but not eaten it as far as I am aware.

The vet said that he is reasonably perky as well, not showing many signs of being 'very' unwell, despite not eating properly for a week now and having not poo'd since last Wednesday evening.

Trouble is that little vet stay cost us £47 today and will cost us the same tomorrow (that's for the injections and for the hourly syringes). We can't keep that up for long, it's already cost about £300 (+ tomorrow's stay) for the treatment thus far.

I am off on Friday/Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues so can take care of him then, but by then I wonder whether it would have been resolved one way or the other!

Back