• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit keeps getting ill

bundit

Warren Scout
I called the emergency vet last night as one of my rabbits was poorly. He wasn't eating, and was just sitting. Later on he was lying at the end of the run, not running away when I approached him, which isn't like him. The emergency vet said that he may just get better, this morning he seems absolutely fine!

This isn't the first time - Twice last year I've taken him to the vets, thinking he was dying, but he just seems to get better after a night at the vet!

Now, I'm thinking about their diet. I know high fibre is the best, am I feeding too much veg? Is there a way of measuring in weight the amount of veg given? Is there a set amount, I have looked but can't find any info. Doing by weight may be helpful.

Here is an example of what I'd give 2 rabbits: evening 2 large leaves of spring greens, 2 x large leaves of cavolo nera, 1/4 of a head of carrot tops, 2 brocolli florets. Then in the evening 4 large leaves of spring greens, a good handful of rocket, brocolli, cucumber and 2 egg cups (one each) of pellets. Just an example!

They have tonnes of hay (hay box) a bucket full twice a day fresh. They also have fresh herbs sometimes.

They have a large hutch and run plus access to the garden when I'm home, so have plenty of exercise.

... also they have dandelion roots daily (i buy in bulk!) and one treat each a night, which is a pets at home coin shaped biscuit. I have a feeling this should be cut out...but it is their favourite.

Have the vets done any investigations while he is with them? I'm thinking such as blood tests and abdominal x-rays.

Having intermittent bouts of not eating is not necessarily a gastro problem and could be something like kidney stones or a whole host of other things that could cause intermittent pain.

The first two times, they just kept him in overnight and monitored him. They didn't do any investigations.

Personally I think that too much Veg is being fed. I don’t feed my Rabbits that much in 3-4 days !!

How much hay do they actually eat. Often people say ‘ I give my Rabbits tons of hay’ but if the Rabbit is having lots more interesting food then they won’t eat enough hay, regardless of how much is given. This diagram shows what a Rabbit diet, portion ratio wise, should look like

oSlkyjv.jpg

The coin shaped treats are probably Fenugreek Crunchies. Junk Food really. I never feed any commercial treats to my Rabbits.

I agree with BB too, if the problem keeps recurring the Vet needs to start to look for a primary cause. Diagnostics could include a full blood profile, urinalysis, Xrays, thorough Dental examination under GA.

Going off what you are feeding them, it is likely you are being over-generous, especially where the veg is concerned. Pellet-wise you are ok with the amount. I never feed Cucumber to the Rabbits. You say you have 2 Rabbits, is one bullying the other. This sometimes happens which is stressful for the one being bullied, especially at meal times. Are they neutered and what breed are they? Going back to the diet, it is better to underfeed Rabbits rather than too much. It's hard because we want to lavish lots of food on them as they are always "starving".

Personally I think that too much Veg is being fed. I don’t feed my Rabbits that much in 3-4 days !!

How much hay do they actually eat. Often people say ‘ I give my Rabbits tons of hay’ but if the Rabbit is having lots more interesting food then they won’t eat enough hay, regardless of how much is given. This diagram shows what a Rabbit diet, portion ratio wise, should look like

oSlkyjv.jpg

The coin shaped treats are probably Fenugreek Crunchies. Junk Food really. I never feed any commercial treats to my Rabbits.

I agree with BB too, if the problem keeps recurring the Vet needs to start to look for a primary cause. Diagnostics could include a full blood profile, urinalysis, Xrays, thorough Dental examination under GA.

I hadn't read the food list as I was allegedly working. I would agree, far too much veg.

My rabbits used to get equivalent of one spring green leaf daily and we were plagued with stasis episodes. They rarely get shop bought veg now, their greens ration being forage. The stasis has decreased by about 90%

I would also be looking for a vet who knows something about rabbits. Telling you that a 'flat' rabbit who isn't eating may get better on its own isn't the best advice. At the very minimum, I would want a physical examination, teeth checked (as far as possible while conscious) and probably a blood profile and x-rays. Repeated incidents definitely warrant some investigations.

You have done the right thing in contacting the vet. I just think you and your rabbit are being let down, and it's more by luck that he pulled round.

Can you swap some of the greens for forage - eg bramble leaves, willow/ apple / pear branches with leaves, etc? Many garden weeds are also ok.
This is really useful:
https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/foraging-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/

And general dietary advice:
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

Perhaps I have gone a bit overboard with the veg. I'll cut back on that, but it'll be difficult, I think the daily treat may have to go :( They love their treat.
I give them dandelion roots daily, the dried type, is that too much, should it just be a treat?

Shimmer, thanks for the links. I think foraging is a good idea, I did do it in the summer for a while.

I don't think he is being bullied, the other one does eat more, but I've watched them eat and they seem to share pretty well, they often share each others food and eat the same piece at the same time, I've never seen any aggression. They are both boys, bros.. I'm not sure what breed a cross.

Last edited:
You have to be in control of what they are eating really as Rabbits will fill up on the wrong things then what happens is their teeth are not being kept ground down. Pain and dentals will result. You see, if they are satisfied they will not eat enough Hay so you feed less of Pellets and Veg resulting in them still being hungry and eating lots of Hay. Are your boys neutered?

Both neutered. From yesterday, I've limited veg. and they had only half a treat. They only have a small egg cup of pellets a day each, so I think that amount is ok.
I've got them some grass and blackberry stems. I took the leaves off as they didn't look good.

I'm guessing the stems count as veg, so to limit, what about the grass is that more like hay in the amount that can be fed?

Unlimited grass / hay.
Pellets are not essential, so could also cut down on those to increase hay / grass consumption.

I seem to remember someone saying on here some time ago that fenugreek crunchies were thought to be the cause of stasis type issues in their rabbits. Might be worth cutting them out too

Yes we had some repeated stasis issues with the fenugreek crunches. We gave them up and things improved a fair bit.

I'd say that's lots of gassy veg too. Slowly swapping some for Coriander, Mint etc might help.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I seem to remember someone saying on here some time ago that fenugreek crunchies were thought to be the cause of stasis type issues in their rabbits. Might be worth cutting them out too

Yes, I remember that too. I would cut them out completely.

I would also have an idea of what their ideal diet should be and work towards that slowly. I agree with others and hay/grass should be the main part of their diet. If they are not used to grass though, I personally would build that up gradually. I would also gradually swop over the vegetables with forage and herbs. You might find that they won't eat the Blackberry stems by themselves. Mine seem to eat them at certain times of the year, but they will always eat the leaves. If you live close to some woods, you can usually find good quality Blackberry leaves in woods. If you feel confident in identifying sticks like Hazel, Willow, Hawthorn and Ash without leaves, then I would try them as well.

You are getting some great advice and as you see there are lots of things you can still give to your Bunnies which they will enjoy. Readigrass is also loved by most Rabbits in small doses!

Many thanks everyone. They ate the blackberry branch straight away, it was over a foot long and a fat stem!

Last question are blackberry branches to be limited, and are dandelion roots to be limited?

Everything must be limited except Hay or if they are lucky, Grass! If they are able to eat a lot of grass then they won't need as much Hay as grass is more natural of course. Rabbits drive you crazy wanting food, but you have to be strong, for their own good.

Blackberry branches & leaves require quite a lot of chewing & are what wild rabbits would have, so ok to feed instead of other bought veg.

Back