• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pudding is in for his neuter

glad he's home and doing well. i think your routine sounds fine. best to keep an eye on them. i think they can get a little cold after so keep him warm, leave a plate of food by him aswell and his water in a bowl so he can get to it easily. :)

Really doesn't want the critical care now but took some water. Just re-heating his Snugglesafe and got him a fresh bowl of herbs in case. Willing him to eat something!

Really doesn't want the critical care now but took some water. Just re-heating his Snugglesafe and got him a fresh bowl of herbs in case. Willing him to eat something!

Poor thing :( Hope he starts eating with enthusiasm soon. Xx

When I checked him a bit of parsley was outside of his bowl. Not sure if he knocked it or took it out. He's just taken a little critical care from the syringe and some more water. Am I right in thinking that as long as I'm getting something in him (and something out!), it's not too bad? He's usually such a little piglet :( Have put two raisins and a chunk of apple in now.
I'm 'sleeping' on the sofa and had such a scare an hour or so ago. Heard a fox screaming outside and there was a second where I was groggy and thought it might be Pudding :roll:
Right, next attempt at 6...

Still nothing. Got some fresh mint and Weetabix, which he's never had but let's see. I've just put his base cage back to normal. He was confined to one level and I wonder if he was finding that strange and stressful? It's only a short ramp connecting the two and I think he'll feel happier. Just about to Metacam. Hubby managed to feed him about two inches of hay at 7ish. Poor baby.

Just keep offering him his food, if he's a lot brighter after his metacam then id try give him stuff when that kicks in.
if you let him excercise make sure he doesn't jump up on anything, just let him run around in a puppy pen or something.
When he's moving about his guts will produce poo, if you're really worried about him call the vets, and if they think he needs to be seen they can see you. Has he had a gut stimulant? The vets could give that to help things along.
its really worrying looking after them after a spay/neuter, but he sounds just like mine after they got theirs done.
Try not to worry :)

It's so reassuring to hear this is fairly standard. I'm going to do more water and CC and see how he goes. If he doesn't perk up in the next hour I'll call the vet, it will have been 24 hours since he came round from the op then. Am stupidly tearful, lack of sleep!

I'm surprised they let him out straight away. Pierre stayed over night so they could monitor him. I don't remember any issues other than he kept looking at us as if to say "I'm not a male bunny anymore". Sounds like your doing everything you can. Maybe you could sit with him and give him lovely strokes for comfort.

Also after Pierre had his dental at a bad vets that I then took him away from. He wasn't right and couldn't move his back legs as he hasn't come around properly. That took him a while to eat and be normal. He couldn't use the litter tray and just peed where he sat. He eventually got with it. It did take a few days.

Thanks again, all of you. Being a first timer it's a bit scary! Phoned vet, they've asked to see him at 12:30. They don't seem worried but want to see him earlier just in case. He's had more critical care and water and <insert optimism> wriggled off my lap and flicked his feet at me. Success I think, last night he was so weak and passive. Hooray, he's annoyed!

Awww, hope he's back to 100% soon.

I don't have experience of having a castration done (Peter was done at rescue), but I had Poppy spayed & I know spay is a bigger operation but she took a good 3 days to really start showing an interest in food so although it is hard try not to worry too much. The trauma of being away from home will have upset him, let-alone the loss if his little plums. Also his Mummy keeps squirting stuff in his mouth (obviously the right thing to do), but he's probably just a tad stressed out. I am sure he will be more like his normal self soon. At least he's washing etc, Poppy literally sat hunched for 48 hours, it was awful.

I'm surprised they let him out straight away. Pierre stayed over night so they could monitor him. I don't remember any issues other than he kept looking at us as if to say "I'm not a male bunny anymore". Sounds like your doing everything you can. Maybe you could sit with him and give him lovely strokes for comfort.

Also after Pierre had his dental at a bad vets that I then took him away from. He wasn't right and couldn't move his back legs as he hasn't come around properly. That took him a while to eat and be normal. He couldn't use the litter tray and just peed where he sat. He eventually got with it. It did take a few days.

I think it depends on the vet, my vet is confident that I know what im doing and most animals actually heal quicker when they are in familar environments.
So that would be the reason I would assume he was allowed home :) I've always had my buns home after a spay/neuter, as angel was the first bun to get sone and she has a habit of stoling eating when she's stressed out, so staying at the vets would have done more bad than good.

Good the vet can check him over and give pain meds and a gut stimulant if needs be. Maybe pick a little bit of fresh grass, may tempt him to eat more :)

Please try not to worry. I've had 13 buns spayed/neutered and none of them showed much interest in food for the first 24hrs, then it was mainly greens/hay and didn't want pellets.

Supervised exercise if they are willing is great as will help stimulate the gut.

Often they are sneaky and will nibble when left alone, sometimes you can worry too much smother them, I know I was certainly guilty of this the first few times.

Of course if you are concerned its always better to call your vet.

Thanks all! We're back from the vet. No blockages, wound looks good. She offered to keep him in for the afternoon but saw my face and suggested he'd be less stressed at home :oops: He's had a shot of gut stimulant so fingers crossed. Another appointment booked for tomorrow that we can cancel when he starts eating. I'm now going to let him relax whilst I force some veggie lasagne down and try to nap/watch TV!

I remember when I had Doughnut spayed I was a nervous wreck. She started eating at about 20 hours but wasn't interested in pellets just fresh herbs and veg.

I now put all her meds on weetabix so it's less stressful for both of us and she thinks she's getting a treat.

Biscuit took 48 hours to recover from his neuter.
He wouldnt do ANYTHING. Sat there looking pathetic. Long before RU though :(

Syringe fed him 10ml of water every hour and he soon perked up as the GA washed out of his system :love:

Naughty little furballs! I am so thankful that I didn't stick with the vet we had planned to use before Pudding arrived. I went in to register him and they seemed amused that anyone would be so organised for a rabbit, when Pud went for his first health check the vet gave me dietery advice I knew to be wrong and told me that they usually did neutering at 11am and that he'd be 'fine' by that afternoon and wouldn't need any special care. Thank goodness I'd done my homework and now have vets I trust. I can't imagine how I'd be feeling if I had to deal with the original vets in this situation. Sorry, sleep deprivation is making me waffle!

Back