• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Problem getting hay - national shortage?

happy hopping: Sea transfer is not that bad, only takes 3 weeks and containers are sealed until they reach this country for customs check.

Prices are nuts though. Current cost of a container is about 3k (GBP) +tax and customs charges and thats for a small one a large one is double that. We currently have a container in transit, any other method of transit is very expensive.

If anybody wishes to arrange a container from the states this is the lowdown.

63 1/2 cut bales to a pallet (leaves a 3" gap at the top of the pallet) x 22 pallet spaces = about 1386 bales (19.5 tonnes), then shipping costs, door > port > port > door + VAT + Customs charges, if you havent got a container ramp you will need to have the container off loaded and moved to a std artic lorry, then you have to store it all at destination and need a forklift to take if off the lorry.

And everything has to be paid upfront (hay + shipping) and the other fees are paid when it lands.

The bales are compressed, and a 10 bale pack measures a max of 30"x27"x20", so if you've a space to store it indoors at the moment it might be an idea. It comes banded and in clean hessian sacks, so there's absolutely no spillage or mess until you open a sack!!:lol:

I think the advantage of the 10 sacks is also that you don't have to find one large space to store them - when I ordered 10 I put them in every space I could find! :lol:

Thanks for the replies I e-mailed to see what stock was like as I dont get paid yet - and will be ordering a 10 bale to last... I only have 2 bunnies to - but I use hay as a bedding and for litter trays. and just mix a small amount of posh hay in.

I haven't really had much of a problem, though from what i'm hearing I'll probably get a bale and put in it my garage... @ the petstore, a bale is about 6£. a bag of Excell (which the bun LOVES) is right at 3£... however, there weren't too many bales left, i will admit that. But, a month or so ago there was perfect hay weather up here in NI, so we mighn't be as affected as elsewhere.

Where I get my hay they ARE running out, and does not know when there will be more.

I'm going to try and get 5 bales on Monday, I have no storage (even for 1 bale) so going to ask nicely if I can store it in the poly-tunnel at work.

So everyone in the Falkirk area be warned.

Where I get my hay they ARE running out, and does not know when there will be more.

I'm going to try and get 5 bales on Monday, I have no storage (even for 1 bale) so going to ask nicely if I can store it in the poly-tunnel at work.

So everyone in the Falkirk area be warned.

Oh no! The farmer down the road only has 6 bales left but they will be gone now as lots of horsey folk around. I might try and go on a search tomorrow if I can - is it Russells you will try Nicole? I'll try elsewhere. Oh no, I'm well worried. I think there's a guy in Slammanan who has rye grass - what is that?

Oh no! The farmer down the road only has 6 bales left but they will be gone now as lots of horsey folk around. I might try and go on a search tomorrow if I can - is it Russells you will try Nicole? I'll try elsewhere. Oh no, I'm well worried. I think there's a guy in Slammanan who has rye grass - what is that?

:shock: :shock: :shock: 6 bales:shock: :shock: :shock: Oh my lord what am I going to do about Dougal he only eats the hay from Russells?????

:shock: :shock: :shock: 6 bales:shock: :shock: :shock: Oh my lord what am I going to do about Dougal he only eats the hay from Russells?????

That's not Russells, its Bellsdyke farm farmer near the Kincardine bridge, only had 6 bales left last weekend but I couldn't store any more than 2. He is optimistic about getting more soon but I don't understand how :?

Back