• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Problem getting hay - national shortage?

id better get some more in then snowey will only eat one tyipe of hay better get 4 bags this week and 4 next untill i build up a stock

I got a delivery of massive box of hay today from Hay Experts. Maybe it is regional? Can you order online from Hay Experts or another site just for emergencies sake until your local supplier is able to? Good luck

I've not seen a problem yet but I'll be talking to my two suppliers on Friday or Saturday and seeing what happens,

Think I might be doing a spot of online shopping soon :rolleyes:

I've just ordered a big bale of Dust Free hay. My local farm shop hasn't got any big bales (and doesn't know when they will, plus they say the price will go up), and the amount I'm spending on bags of pet shop hay for bedding, I might as well use the Dust Free stuff as bedding! :roll:

Bags of hay at the supplier I go to has just gone up from 99p to £1.29.:evil: I use at least 7 bags of the stuff a week for feed, so I REALLY hope I can find a place with some hay stores to get a few bales!!!:(

a local supplier (hampshire) has run out, but said I should phone back on monday as they are expecting a delivery

£3.75 for a bale...hopefully it will be the yummy stuff

free delivery on over £30 :lol:

just a thought....

if hay and straw were the same price...why would anyone buy straw ?

I think in very large bulk, straw is much cheaper and at P@H i think it is about £1 a large packet cheaper.

I use straw on top of the litter tray which is then spread on the garden. Otherwise I'd be growing lots of interesting grass in my strawberry bed.

If you need hay in large patch, I have a farmer here that I buy from ea. year, 100% timothy. But I don't know if you have the stomach to ship this via air parcel to your country.

Sea transfer cargo container won't work because of the 2 + mth. of moisture at sea.

Anyone bought from dustfreehay.co.uk ???
I am thinking I might - and do the bales really expand so they would probably fill a black bin bag ?
because my bag of hay I use would probably fill half a bin bag and if these really do - then I might well consider it - and also !!! does anyones buns like it ?

Yes, the hay comes in a sack but is really well stuffed in, so there's quite a lot in there. My bunnies adore it. :)

I buy the ten bales at a time. The bunnies love it, and it lasts about 2 months with 5 buns (I'm slightly over generous when using it though)

It's the only sort I buy now, but I've got only 2 rabbits(and occassional fosters) so am quite happy to pay that bit extra. If you've room to store the 10 bale pack it works out at 3.99 per sack, and each sack almost fills an 80litre bin. I store the unopened sacks in the cupboard under the stairs.

My bale of dust free hay has arrived this morning. :) You get less than the 20 sack option, but it works out cheaper - £25 or £26

The large bales of meadow hay from Lunnun are now out of stock according to their website! My 10 bale delivery arrived this morning having been ordered online late on Tuesday night:lol:

Ooooh thanks for this! I didn't know about dustfreehay.co.uk but they are really reasonable!!:D I will use them to order a 10 bale once the council have sorted out my shed and I can store them in there!! :D

The bales are compressed, and a 10 bale pack measures a max of 30"x27"x20", so if you've a space to store it indoors at the moment it might be an idea. It comes banded and in clean hessian sacks, so there's absolutely no spillage or mess until you open a sack!!:lol:

Back