• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Persistent poo problem

Hello all,

My three year old mixed-breed rabbit, Fergie, has a persistent problem with faeces sticking to her. She seems unable to clean them off properly herself and doesn't like other people doing it. (Her partner, Callie, admittedly doesn't make much effort.)

A couple of months ago Fergie had a sudden attack of severe pain. We rushed her to the emergency vet, who diagnosed it as such and gave her a painkiller but was unable to find any course. She visited her own vet twice in the following week, but no cause could be found on those occasions either, and as she seemed to be fine after that one injection of painkiller, we left it at that. The only potential health issue which could be found was that she's a bit overweight and her blood sugar is slightly (but, we're told, not worryingly) high. I mention these things in case they might have a bearing on the situation. We adopted her in January but were assured at the time that she was in good health. She had been checked over by the vet at the adoption agency.

The pain issue, thankfully, has not recurred. Fergie is an enthusiastic eater who enjoys nuggets, hay, various dried leaves and flowers (all from a source approved by the adoption agency) and cardboard. She's a bit suspicious of fresh food but does eat some cucumber.

I'm posting here to see if anyone has had experience of similar issues with their rabbits. My thinking at this stage is that there may be an allergy issue or she may do better on a restricted diet, but obviously, with another one to feed as well, that's tricky, and I know better than to risk reducing the amount of food available to a rabbit. She has gradually been gaining in confidence since her arrival and has consequently become more active, so I'm hoping that will help with the weight issue.

All ideas or advice very much appreciated.

Hello all,

My three year old mixed-breed rabbit, Fergie, has a persistent problem with faeces sticking to her. She seems unable to clean them off properly herself and doesn't like other people doing it. (Her partner, Callie, admittedly doesn't make much effort.)

A couple of months ago Fergie had a sudden attack of severe pain. We rushed her to the emergency vet, who diagnosed it as such and gave her a painkiller but was unable to find any course. She visited her own vet twice in the following week, but no cause could be found on those occasions either, and as she seemed to be fine after that one injection of painkiller, we left it at that. The only potential health issue which could be found was that she's a bit overweight and her blood sugar is slightly (but, we're told, not worryingly) high. I mention these things in case they might have a bearing on the situation. We adopted her in January but were assured at the time that she was in good health. She had been checked over by the vet at the adoption agency.

The pain issue, thankfully, has not recurred. Fergie is an enthusiastic eater who enjoys nuggets, hay, various dried leaves and flowers (all from a source approved by the adoption agency) and cardboard. She's a bit suspicious of fresh food but does eat some cucumber.

I'm posting here to see if anyone has had experience of similar issues with their rabbits. My thinking at this stage is that there may be an allergy issue or she may do better on a restricted diet, but obviously, with another one to feed as well, that's tricky, and I know better than to risk reducing the amount of food available to a rabbit. She has gradually been gaining in confidence since her arrival and has consequently become more active, so I'm hoping that will help with the weight issue.

All ideas or advice very much appreciated.

Hey!

Do you feed excel pellets?

And how many pellets do you feed a day?

One of mine had this but cutting down pellets and changing brand helped a lot. Same with veg, too much veg did the same thing [emoji51]

Also is she eating the cardboard?

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

I would also look at gradually reducing the pellets, completely removing any cardboard if that is being eaten, and encourage a lot more hay eating. Certain veg may affect some rabbits as well, so see if any are causing issues. Items like apple and carrot can/ should be removed completely from the diet. The ultimate aim is to go to a basic hay diet if possible and gradually reintroduce veg, or preferably higher fibre forage (eg apple, willow, bramble leaves & twigs). Any dietary changes should be done slowly.

Raised blood sugar can be an indicator of gut stasis:

Figures from Frances Harcourt Brown

(Blood glucose in mmol/l)

4-8 normal
8-14 possible gut stasis, may be stress induced
15 watch and repeat in 1 hour
15+ - 20 Needs treatment
20+ probable surgical case

Last edited:
Gut stasis may be the reason she had pain. It can develop from ingesting cardboard, gas pains from certain foods, dental/not eating issues, and lack of exercise.
I agree with the other posts too.

Being overweight will make it difficult for her to clean herself. So adjusting her diet by reducing pellets and cutting out any commercial treats, fruit, carrots is necessary. Also ensuring she gets plenty of exercise.

Definitely remove the cardboard, some Rabbits will ingest it rather than just ripping it up. Ingesting it can cause GI tract problems.

What are her fecal poos like ? The hard poo, not the cecotrophs that she should be eating but that at the moment she cannot manage to do efficiently ?

How did the ‘sudden pain episodes’ present as far as clinical symptoms go?

Do be very vigilant about Flystrike. If she often has a dirty bum she will be at very high risk.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/flystrike-in-rabbits/

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund have a vast amount of information about the best care for Rabbits, including dietary advice.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Back