• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Post Neuter Advice, please help :)

another caecotroph, they are tiny though.

I decided to take the cone off and he livened up straight away and is now chewing the newspaper :D I don't have any fleecy blankets to give him :(

he handily knocked his pellets all over the cage when i put him back so i keep getting my hopes up thinking its a poo when its just a little pellet

Bless him, he might be looking for his manhood :roll:

A poo is a poo in my books so if its moving then it has to be good. The fact that he's trying to eat for himself is good too. Have you got him surrounded with treats and hay to tempt him? Pye looked like he was barricaded in last time with bits of food :oops:

His poor little body just needs to settle down and he needs to get used to his new home and see how lucky he is :love: Have you no old teddy who needs some love?

I know. He lulled me into a false sense of security because as soon as he came in he dived into his veg, but then he just flopped down and became listless. will syringe feed again in half an hour I think, it will have been 2 hours then.

Try not to worry too much.

If he has a bowl of water he can get to easily and plenty of tasty treats to tempt him I think you will find he is pretty much back to normal by the morning - they tend to liven up and eat/drink and therefore poop when the house goes quiet and the lights go off, that's what I've found anyway.

Bless him, he might be looking for his manhood :roll:

A poo is a poo in my books so if its moving then it has to be good. The fact that he's trying to eat for himself is good too. Have you got him surrounded with treats and hay to tempt him? Pye looked like he was barricaded in last time with bits of food :oops:

His poor little body just needs to settle down and he needs to get used to his new home and see how lucky he is :love: Have you no old teddy who needs some love?

he has hay veg and moistened pellets. I found him an elephant teddy :lol: he doesnt seem bothered by it but he might lol. He's just lying down again now, not sure whether to syringe feed again... he only had a tiny nibble of cabbage.

Try not to worry too much.

If he has a bowl of water he can get to easily and plenty of tasty treats to tempt him I think you will find he is pretty much back to normal by the morning - they tend to liven up and eat/drink and therefore poop when the house goes quiet and the lights go off, that's what I've found anyway.

he has a bottle of water and i moved him into a quiet room. I am hoping that will settle him down a bit, when everyone's gone to bed. and he is in the bedroom so i can keep checking on him overnight.

he has a bottle of water and i moved him into a quiet room. I am hoping that will settle him down a bit, when everyone's gone to bed. and he is in the bedroom so i can keep checking on him overnight.

A bowl is easier to drink from if they are feeling poorly :wave:

Give them a chance to get to know each other!!!

Dustyrabbit sounds like an awesome voice of reason, and someone who has more experience than me!! If he's eating on his own and drinking then I wouldn't worry too much about the syringe feeding. Like Dustyrabbit says, maybe he just needs to be left for a bit to gather himself.

will keep fingers and paws firmly crossed this end till he perks up xxx

Its a long time since i had this to cope with but i do find a bowl, as well as a bottle of water helps. My bun had to wear a collar after bieng spayed she woke up ay vets and apprantly bit her stitches so they had to staple her:shock::shock: She coped with collar well and could press it against the floor so she could push her head forward to reach her food, she was a very willful bun. Though i did give her supervised breaks without it.
I hope he is feeling much better tomorrow, hes been through a lot today.

Ok I will leave off the syringe feeding for tonight, if he doesn't eat overnight I'll do it again in the morning before I go to work. I'm at work all day tomorrow :( worried about leaving him. he just looks so sad :( bless him. i think he will be ok, Zero didn't poo either at first then had caecotrophs and was soon pooing as normal. I think because in both cases the vet didnt really try to syringe feed them. I mean I only paid them £85 for their expertise and aftercare services :roll: heaven forbid they actually try to do something minorly unpleasant. It only took me a couple of tries to syringe feed him there and he really knows me no more than he knows the vet I've only had him a day.

Give them a chance to get to know each other!!!

Dustyrabbit sounds like an awesome voice of reason, and someone who has more experience than me!! If he's eating on his own and drinking then I wouldn't worry too much about the syringe feeding. Like Dustyrabbit says, maybe he just needs to be left for a bit to gather himself.

will keep fingers and paws firmly crossed this end till he perks up xxx

I wouldn't quite say that! But I am known as an epic worrier where the animals are concerned! My current buns are the only 2 I have had neutered myself, one boy and one girl, both were perky by morning although I worried and fussed all afternoon and night! Remember he needs to work the GA out of his system too - water helps I understand so I'd push the drinking and supply freshly washed greens, rocket, herbs, a little mashed banana, grated carrot, soaked and mushed pellets - replace any uneaten ones regularly.

Its a long time since i had this to cope with but i do find a bowl, as well as a bottle of water helps. My bun had to wear a collar after bieng spayed she woke up ay vets and apprantly bit her stitches so they had to staple her:shock::shock: She coped with collar well and could press it against the floor so she could push her head forward to reach her food, she was a very willful bun. Though i did give her supervised breaks without it.
I hope he is feeling much better tomorrow, hes been through a lot today.

yeah, my other bunny tore his stitches out so Zero and Cass have had to put up with the collar straight away. Harvey used the collar as a scoop straightaway, he actually loved it! Was scooping everything.

I'll get him a bowl of water,thanks (and thanks DustyRabbit too know you mentioned it first :)). I'm not normally into bowls of water they're a bit messy but it makes sense that they're easier if they're ill.

Please make sure that bunny can access his bowl of water whilst wearing a buster collar. Generally these apparatus are not a good idea for rabbits as it *can* prevent them accessing their food and water, and caecotrophs - particularly fluids which is very important post-operatively.
Did your rabbit receive post-operative pain relief or did they send you home with any? (Usually meloxicam/metacam/meloxidyl?)

Give him some time to rest and recooperate, he's had a stressful day. Keep him warm and encourage him to eat. Strongly scented herbs like thyme, oregano, coriander, basil etc are very effective at getting most buns eating.
If he's still off his food tomorrow morning he will probably need additional pain relief.

It sounds like you're both sorted hun, hopefully by morning he'll be scooping his veg and pellets into a hungry tum! I third the bowl, my two used to only have a bottle but now they have the choice and they both go for bowl everytime (and yes they make a mess too!)

I'm so sorry but I'm gonna have to sign off, have to be up at 6 :cry: but I will be dreaming positive vibes for your little man.

Will log on before work so keep updating, good luck with everything, give Dean a little kiss goodnight from me!!

Night night Cass :love::love:

he has had painkillers, and i think so. i know, im not a big fan but as soon as i removed it he started pulling at his wound. I just put him a fresh carrot in and he's munching away :D i dont want to try anything else as i dont know what veg he has had before and i dont want to give him a poorly tummy with food he isnt used to and make everything worse. i know he has had carrots and cabbage so im just giving him that and loads of hay, he has a bowl of water now and his bottle, and his moistened pellets

he has had painkillers, and i think so. i know, im not a big fan but as soon as i removed it he started pulling at his wound. I just put him a fresh carrot in and he's munching away :D i dont want to try anything else as i dont know what veg he has had before and i dont want to give him a poorly tummy with food he isnt used to and make everything worse. i know he has had carrots and cabbage so im just giving him that and loads of hay, he has a bowl of water now and his bottle, and his moistened pellets

If he is eating then I would say he is doing ok. :)

It sounds like you're both sorted hun, hopefully by morning he'll be scooping his veg and pellets into a hungry tum! I third the bowl, my two used to only have a bottle but now they have the choice and they both go for bowl everytime (and yes they make a mess too!)

I'm so sorry but I'm gonna have to sign off, have to be up at 6 :cry: but I will be dreaming positive vibes for your little man.

Will log on before work so keep updating, good luck with everything, give Dean a little kiss goodnight from me!!

Night night Cass :love::love:

ok, thanks for all your support you've been so helpful :love::love: night to you pye and pudding. i will update in the morning think i had better sign off too! thanks everybody for all the help, Cass sends his (grumpy) love.

If he is eating then I would say he is doing ok. :)

thanks, dont know how many of the other posts you've read they are quite confusing i started talking about hay suppliers! then realised Cass hadn't passed. he was just hunched up not eating pooing or drinking, but ive syringe fed him and now he is livening up and eating his carrot. and we've had 2 tiny caecotrophs. :) sorry if im just repeating what you've already read :oops: thanks for your help, will update in the morning hopefully with good news.

Back