• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Post Neuter Advice, please help :)

he's been syringe fed, had cabbage, carrot and kale (small quantities) and just sat there really :(

DSCI0358.jpg

Here he is :D my beautiful boy. I put his cone back on. I'm not a huge fan I've noticed they get a bit smelly with the cones on because they can't clean themselves and the cones get caked in caecotrophs (obv i wash them off but its still not nice for them). but its only for 10 days, and if i take it off now and he pulls at his sutures i will be charged :evil:

i was getting bales of hay from a fish ponds at Eighton Banks, but like most places they have already run out this year. There is a place at Beamish that still has quite nice hay. I find buying it from pet shops is expensive and its not that good.
To those living in this area, i used to get hay from a farm called Hack Hall, Wideopen, that was nice but i havnt got any there for a while so i dont know how much they have left.
I have had fur mite problems but think this can be quite common and think they can be caught from hay, though most of the problems were alredy with the pets i was rescuing.

He is so gorgeous :love::love::love::love::love: am so gonna steal your buns!

Can you change the title of your thread to say about post spey advice hun, I think it would be good to see if anyone of the experienced lot on here could give you some advice.

When you adopted him did they give you any history on what he's used to eating? If he's not had certain veg before it would probs be best to wait to introduce it.

He's gonna be feeling uber sorry for himself after everything and he's still getting used to a major change. I'm assuming they gave him painkillers, does it mention antying about metacam on his bill? they were pretty good with making sure Pye got it when I took him there.

i agree it is expensive. the problem with a bale is i dont really have anywhere to store it, i worry it would go mouldy. and my flat gets damp. (will this affect the rabbits? we won't be here much longer). when i move i would love to get bales :) thanks though, im sure it'll be helpful then :D
yes, one piggie has had problems from pretty much as soon as i got her, and it just started spreading recently. the hay i had was bad though, so i threw it out to be on the safe side :) not worth the risk really.

He is so gorgeous :love::love::love::love::love: am so gonna steal your buns!

Can you change the title of your thread to say about post spey advice hun, I think it would be good to see if anyone of the experienced lot on here could give you some advice.

When you adopted him did they give you any history on what he's used to eating? If he's not had certain veg before it would probs be best to wait to introduce it.

He's gonna be feeling uber sorry for himself after everything and he's still getting used to a major change. I'm assuming they gave him painkillers, does it mention antying about metacam on his bill? they were pretty good with making sure Pye got it when I took him there.

that is a good idea changing the title, I didnt think i would be talking about Cass haha. There is metroclopramide on the bill. he has had painkillers, not sure if that is what that is.

is he a dwarf lop btw? I can't figure it out not very good at telling the difference between lops :oops: he is lovely isn't he :) was love at first sight with him.

yeah i know it's been 2 big changes all at once for him but i wanted to get him neutered asap before he decided to get territorial. suppose there's pros and cons either way. I'm going to try and change the thread title :)

He's a lop but I have no idea other than that! I'm no expert by a long shot!!

Metaclopromide is the gut stimulant, not a pain killer, hang on will chek Pye's records to see what pain killers they use there

Yay bunny mummies of the north east unite!!!

We should start a Geordie bunny union :lol: Do you think his age could be a reason he hasn't reacted as well as the other two, he is nearly 2, the others were 4/5 months when they were done.

Have checked some old receipts and they seem to use metacam as a pain killer each time, can you check to make sure he got some?

We should start a Geordie bunny union :lol: Do you think his age could be a reason he hasn't reacted as well as the other two, he is nearly 2, the others were 4/5 months when they were done.

Again I'm no expert hun but 2 is young so I wouldn't have thought so.

Hmm Geordie Bunny Union, I'm liking that!!!

Have checked some old receipts and they seem to use metacam as a pain killer each time, can you check to make sure he got some?

The care notes are very generic, it says if he hasn't passed in 24 hours to make an appointment, does that seem about right?

I know its not old, but i thought cos the others were VERY young when they got done it might make a difference. I suppose here's still new so he's gone from the new place of P@H rescue, to my house, to the vet's, to my house (AKA the zoo). no wonder the poor guys a bit weirded out!

but in the breakdown where it said he had metaclop does it mention any other meds?

At a guess I would say that a younger bunny would bounce back quicker but I'm just comparing them to kids in that respect!

He has gone from old home to p@h to your home to vets to you so yeah, thats a lot for an angel to cope with.... any wee or poops at all all yet?

COME ON CASS! :love: pleeeaase eat and poop xxx

I know, even an angel as amazing as Cass. nothing else is mentioned, just 'Cas [their spelling :evil:] has been given an antibiotic, painkiller and gut stimulate during his operation'. the only medicine mentioned on his form is the gut stimulate. it was the same vet who has done the other two though.

Also haven't really noticed him drink or pass urine. he just seems very sluggish. he livened up a bit when I syringed him but now he has kind of flopped again. should i try and make a quiet area for him do you think? he's in the same room as the other rabbits at the minute.

When I got Pye back from his neuter it seemed to take forever to get him back to normal. When i got him back after his xray he came home about 3ish tripping over his own feet and acting drunk as a ****, it wasn't till about 11 pm that he actually seemed to 'sober up' and start getting back to normal.

A nice quiet and warm area would be good, have you got him on some vet bed?

yes and my house is like an oven! it is hard because he was sat quietly yesterday, but coming up to say hi after a few hours. im just not sure what he's like normally because he hasnt had time to settle down before I whisked him off to the vets and deprived him of his manhood! I shall go and do some rearranging.

RIGHT, i've evicted the hamsters from the bedroom (noisy little things :lol:) and Cass is now there instead. He livened up a bit when i moved him but he's lying back down now.

He's warm, safe and has food so thats a good thing.

Personally I would take the collar off but thats me and cos I know it would freak both of mine out... hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along and give better advice about it all soon.

whenever Pye has stopped eating Neil recommended the recovery every two hours and I've seen that echoed on here a lot so keep an eye on his food intake and give as you feel necessary. he needs to keep his guts moving and keep hydrated so maybe try syringing some cooled boiled water too if he's not trying anything.

Have you tried giving him a teddy or anything to snuggle up to? I've seen a few people on here suggest it to comfort the buns. I can;t do it with either of mine cos it would be a mess of teddy innards within minutes!

He's warm, safe and has food so thats a good thing.

Have you tried giving him a teddy or anything to snuggle up to? I've seen a few people on here suggest it to comfort the buns. I can;t do it with either of mine cos it would be a mess of teddy innards within minutes!

A fleecy blanket is nice to snuggle up to.

Hope he's feeling better soon x

I just updated my original post - he has passed one small caecotroph. not sure if this is good or bad. they said every 4 hours when i rang, but i will try every 2 instead :)

I will try him on the cool boiled water when i syringe feed him if he hasnt drank anything by then. will see if i can find him a teddy.

Fleecy blanket is def a good idea too, who doesn't want to snuggle into those!

Hmm if he's passing something then surely that must be a good sign.... has he tried to eat anything more?

big golden hard poop vibes xxx

Back