• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Popcorn for Rabbits?

Toad

Warren Scout
I was talking to somone the other day that said they give their rabbits popcorn (for a treat). They said they just pop plain pop corn and their rabbits go mad for it! (she only gives them a few pieces each)

Is this a healthy treat for a rabbit? Does anyone give their rabbit popcorn?:wave:

I wouldn't call it healthy. Personally I stick to natural treats. I don't like to give them any processed foods (like bread). On occasion they get a raisin or a piece of fruit but that is it.

I know that you can get natural rabbit treats with corn seeds in. If you pop them does it change their benefit?

I used to do this with mine (or rather they would steal my popcorn :lol:). I wouldn't call it healthy and I would never give it to them nowadays- now I know better.

I know that you can get natural rabbit treats with corn seeds in. If you pop them does it change their benefit?

Corn is not ideal for bunnies. It can cause blockages and intestinal problems. However, it can also be a useful tool in boosting up bunnies. I have only ever used fresh corn on he cob with mine for that- I would not use anything shop bought for that- but then I don't use shop bought treats because they are pretty pointless- in my opinion only.

Personally I stick to natural treats.
popcorn is a natural treat, isn't it?

You can buy popping corn, just stick the plain kernels in the microwave until they've popped. P@h do the cobs in their chicken section but I think it's ok for bunnies. Not 100% sure though.

Corn is not ideal for bunnies. It can cause blockages and intestinal problems. However, it can also be a useful tool in boosting up bunnies. I have only ever used fresh corn on he cob with mine for that- I would not use anything shop bought for that- but then I don't use shop bought treats because they are pretty pointless- in my opinion only.

I think it's the husks that can cause impaction in rabbits which is why you shouldn't give them the dried corn on the cobs sold for rabbits, but with the popped corn the husks have been broken in to small pieces and should be fine.

I think it's the husks that can cause impaction in rabbits which is why you shouldn't give them the dried corn on the cobs sold for rabbits, but with the popped corn the husks have been broken in to small pieces and should be fine.

I am confused.

Husks are the outer leaves, I always thought they were ok to give. Are you talking about the leaves or the kernels?

Maybe, but I would have thought there was healthier options out there.

Very true. I'm sure there are more healthier options for treats. I just wondered if it was detrimental to them really. Not that I would feed it to rabbits. I've just been googling it and noticed that online shops selling popped popcorn in bags for rabbits that is dyed pink and green! Looks a bit strange to me!

Very true. I'm sure there are more healthier options for treats. I just wondered if it was detrimental to them really. Not that I would feed it to rabbits. I've just been googling it and noticed that online shops selling popped popcorn in bags for rabbits that is dyed pink and green! Looks a bit strange to me!

You can buy human popcorn (not that there is probably much difference :lol:) that is different colours. Full of sugar!!

Those big bags for humans ar horrible! Especially the ones sold in Morrisons! :lol:

I have seen somewhere before little packs of popped popcorn for rabbits. Its just really brightly coloured. Looks awful!

So in conclusion. Rabbits can eat popcorn, but shouldnt really give it to them? ;)

I am confused.

Husks are the outer leaves, I always thought they were ok to give. Are you talking about the leaves or the kernels?

I was talking about kernels. With popcorn the kernel is still there, just in bits. I've found those bits get caught in my teeth and my mum is a nightmare for getting it stuck in her throat. I wouldn't want that happening with a bunny. So even if the risk of blockage is lower, the kernels can still be problematical.

But yes, I would say another one of the many things they could have but its not ideal to give it to them.

Any cereal is high in starch/carbohydrate that a bunny's caecum is not designed to process in large amounts, therefore, keeping cereals to a minimum is crucial, corn is a starchy cereal. I agree with the risk of impaction re. kernels.

Of course, pelleted feed is made largely from cereals - which is exactly the reason I don't feed it! However, in small amounts it can be tolerated, but I would not exceed this unnecessarily by using cereals as treats. The best treats for buns are leaves and veggies :)

Couldn't agree with you more about treats etc. Pet shops stock all sorts of things designed to attract us and make us feel we are being kind to our pets by feeding these so-called treats. They are not on display because they are good for our bunnies/cats/dogs etc - they are on sale to make money. Sorry if I offend people with this but it is so easy to be 'hoodwinked' because we naturally want to spoil our pets and don't want to deprive them. In fact, we are not being kind to them by buying these commercial treats. Far better to feed good quality hay and greens to our buns. I must stress, of course, that this is my personal opinion. Woops, will get down off my high horse!

Back