• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plump

bundit

Warren Scout
My rabbits look quite slim until the lay down. The vet did say last year when I took one in that he was a little plump, only a little. She said to cut down on the pellets, but later on the nurse said when I asked her advice, to cut down on the greens!

I give them an eggcup (a very small eggcup) of pellets a day each, lots of greens an example would be 2 or 3 big leaves of greens, some broccoli and a handful of kale between them. They also have a lot of dandelion roots, they love them. They also get one 'treat' each per night which they go wild for - wouldn't want to take that away from them.

Oh and they have plenty of good quality hay. They are outside rabbits, quite free as I let them out in the small garden and they come in the house.

Should I cut back on the pellets or veg? Please don't say treats, they'll never speak to me again.

The pellets. If they love pellets just feed a tiny amount by hand instead of the treat. Maybe give the treat once a week rather than every day. Treats are like sweets, nice but totally unnecessary in a healthy diet, especially if eaten every day.

Also, invest in a set of digital scales so you can weigh the Rabbits once a week. Having an accurate weight is always better than going by what the Rabbit looks like. Also, in many cases unexplained weight loss is a red flag for a potential health problem. Noticing the loss can mean that a problem is detected before it becomes too serious :)

Thanks. When I say treat, it's just a single little teeny biscuit each. I know a 1" biscuit is small to us, but big for a rabbit. They have one a day. The pellets they're not that interested in. Are the dandelion roots fattening? They do have a lot of them as I buy them in bulk, I thought they were good for their teeth so give them about 4 each a day, but read somewhere they were high in calcium.

Back