• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help UPDATE

Again I would get him to anemergency vet and ask for painkiller and a gut stimulant as well as some critical care food.

Sending lots of vibes xxx

Is he on his way to the vets? If anything, he will be in a lot of pain and needs some pain killers so make sure the vets give him some as well as gut stimulants.

Just wondering if you're taking bun into the vets?
They have complex digestive systems and the stomach should NEVER be empty.
This is what I was told at a lecture at one of the top vet schools in Scotland, not just my opinion.

He'll need to be checked over to see why he doesn't want to eat, could be his teeth, could be an impaction in his tummy.
The vet should give pain relief and a gut stimulant, and possibly give you recovery food to syringe feed him depending on what they find on examinataion.

I hope you do the right thing, time is of the essence as several bunny owners have realized too late.

Please listen to Fee she has first hand experience of her wee bunny going downhill so fast.

The most important thing is that the bun poos rather than eats, at this stage. If there is no poo, the gut is in stasis, which is incredibly dangerous and a killer. Best of luck with the vet. It really can't wait, unfortunately.

Hi, I'm sorry your bunny is poorly :( everyone who has posted already is correct in saying your bun needs to see a vet tonight. Please don't wait til morning. Things can get a lot lot worse in just a few hours. The longer they go without eating, the harder it is to get them going again. Please follow everyone's advice, we speak from experience x

Just popped on while I've got a break at work to see how bunny is?
did you make ir to the vet last night?
Or at least this morning?

It would be good to hear how bunny is ... Please let us know or pm one of is if you dont feel able,,,,

Fee xxx

Update

Hello everyone, I am sorry to keep you all waiting for such a long time but I am VERY pleased to tell you that bun bun is 100% fine now! Thank goodness! I rung the vets last night and they told me to bring him In, but the nearest one to me was quite far away and I had no means of getting there. I did ask friends and family to take me but no one could at that hour. So I just stayed up with him all night and tried my best to encourage him to eat and I did my best to comfort him, but I eventually fell asleep. I woke up many times in the night to check on him and gradually he seemed to perk up. When I woke up properly in the morning, he was drinking from his bottle and he had eaten half his bowl of pellets and the cucumber I had left for him! I couldn't believe it! He was just like his old self, bounding around and making lots of noise! I was totally thrilled! I honestly could have cried! I have kept an eye on him all day and he is defiantly back to his old mischievous self! I just want to say thankyou so much for all your concern and all your advice. I will make sure I keep and eye on him for the next few days and of course give him lots of cuddles and nose rubs! Soo pleased my bunny is back!
Xxx

Back