• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please can RU help Thumper?

So sorry - Ive only seen this now - lotsa vibes for little Thumper...and Hugs Judy - youre a wonderful bunny mum! xxxx:)

Thank you so much everyone, everything you'v been sending has worked brilliantly.
Although I was very worried indeed I fell asleep on the floor stroking him at about 10pm. :oops: Woke just in time for his 2.00pm meds & theres loads of poops (a handful) & he's eaten plenty & drunk.:D:D:D:D:D

I'm hoping it's all over with now.
I've never known a bun to go into stasis like this. It's sudden, there are no bowel sounds at all or very few, he's certainly quite poorly but not as ill as I would expect for full stasis. It's odd that he fluctuates. His ears will suddenly have a reduced blood supply & go slate grey & cold for 1/2 hour then suddenly flush pink & warm again, for 20mins then back to being cold & grey. The same with his hunching. [The vet confirmed my findings]. Then he'll pass a large amount of dysbiotic caec material & just as suddenly,his bowel will start up, & be back to normal again, with lots of poops, as if nothing had happened. There isn't that start up phase after the ileus of scant tiny poops, & reluctance to feed. :?:?:?

The difficult thing for me is that because he's already on a high dose of gut motilty agents, & there's no way to know that he's in the process of passing yucky caec material, I'm scared out of my mind that he won't start up again.
Because of his underlying condition, our proximity to the vet, & our close relationship on both sides, I don't want him to spend his last few hours in hospital. I'd feel I'd abandoned him when he needed me the most.

Well that time isn't now. Thank you so very much everyone. Now I know we're back to this pattern, I'll hang on in there & tell you all after the event!

Very last with the vibes, sorry, but sending some anyway just to help his recovery. :love::love:

Thanks everyone. We're up, had cuddles, medicated, fed, pooped, excercised & we're even both "groomed"/washed! I get 2 washes. 1 rabbit wash, & a proper wash. Likewise he gets a human groom & his own.:lol:

If anyone wonders how I know aboutThumper's bowel sounds, I've no idea where my stethoscopes are, & never use them on Thumps.
It's when we have cuddles on the floor. He relates to my face so my ear is often against his flank, & I can hear what's going on in his tummy quite clearly.

Because of my previous job, absent bowel sounds over 5 mins, or scant tinkling (hollow sounding) sounds mean no gut activity, & big trouble. That's where all similarity ends. The causes for humans & rabbits are totally different.

He's got more movement today but still nothing like as much as normal.
He's back to his normal self. He's the purriest bunny in England. I'm watchful, but much happier. He might have some smaller relapses, but he got plenty of food & fluid in last night.

I don't know how you guys "vibe". I proved that dogs can communicate telepathically once. I'm no good at "recieving" but as our relationship developed I became aware that Thumper knows my mind perhaps more than I realise. He draws a lot of strength from cuddles & knowing that he is loved dearly. I am convinced that your input really helps him.

When he was only just hanging on by a thread last summer, incredibly hot in his winter coat, & permanent tummy ache, unable to do anything - I wondered what gave him the strength to keep going. A strong thought came to me "Bunnies run on love".
Thank you more than I can say, for loving my precious little fella who you've never met.

ETA I may be one of the craziest bunny mummies on the forum, but because he's a single bun, I have the added reponsibility to give him as much "partner bun" behaviour as I can. There are no doubts in my mind, that bunnies should be given the option of a partner where possible, & that a very few bunnies prefer to be single. Some of these few bunnies have chosen to bond to a human which is a very great priviledge, & responsibility.

Last edited:
Thumper is a VERY special little boy :love: and we all know how much he means to you, but he will get back on track I know it! :D x

I'm so pleased Thumper has come through this and is eating again :D I hope it was a bit of a one off and you won't find yourself back to dealing with recurrent episodes.

Sending loads of stay well vibes to Thumper :love:

thumper is one in a million - and so are you:D glad he's doing ok today xxx

(oh, and i don't think you're crazy at all - that would be rather 'pot calling kettle' of me wouldn't it?:lol:)

Thank you so much for still thinking of us.
I wasn't surprised to have a rerun of yesterday this afternoon.

Thankfully Thumper was less distressed, but obviously very uncomfortable.
Eventually he passed a really smelly unformed caec, but less than yesterday. :mrgreen:
He's beginning to get back to waste poops & eating.:D
He ALWAYS eats a few Sloe leaves before anything else, & he's being good about drinking. We got that last dental done just in time.

I discovered how he keeps warm during these episodes today. He lies under the radiator behind the dressing table, with ears like a jet 'plane. The same ears which can lose body heat quickly, can warm the body quickly too!! It only takes 5 mins. All thse years I thought he wanted safety & peace, & he actually wanted to keep warm! I'm a thick human! :lol:

Back