• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peter is here!!!!

The run we've ordered is the 'Meadow Lodge Parkland' XL. The run is 200cm x114cm x 54 cm high. Is that high enough for Peter to stretch out?

It looks like a fab run. :D How big is Peter? It's usually best for a run to be 2ft high and 54cm is just under but as long as he can stand up on his back legs fully then it should be fine. I don't think it would be too much work to add a few cm onto the bottom if needs be? :)

Looks like a great run!
It's fantastic that Peter has such an obviously loving home, with parental involvement, and willingness to do things for his benefit.
It's great that you've asked about neutering :D
Sounds like with a few housing adjustments (which you're already considering), Peter will be a very happy bunny with a great family :D

When he is neutered, is Peter going to get a wifey bun? They really love company of their own kind and there is nothing nicer than watching them snuggle together.

Im not sure but i'll think about it.

Lots of people will tell you to get him a friend. But I think for now the important thing is getting used to having him and learning about him. It's something you can think about in the future. It is great having a pair as it makes them very happy to have a friend but things can go wrong too, like they can fight. Have a read of all the threads on here and when you've had Peter a while (and you dad agrees) you can always think about getting a friend then.

Yeah, it would be good to get him a friend after he is neutered. Maybe it give it a couple months or so after he's neutered to think about it and also to let his hormones die down (best not to bond a newly neutered rabbit until 8 wks after neuter anyways)

That's interesting William. I estimate that gives us about 16 weks to have a think 'cos it'll be at least eight weeks before he's ready for the op.

Hopefully Blair will get a few more photos on the site after school.

Away to the vet soon for vaccination - can you believe it, I'm nervous!!!:oops:

That's interesting William. I estimate that gives us about 16 weks to have a think 'cos it'll be at least eight weeks before he's ready for the op.

Hopefully Blair will get a few more photos on the site after school.

Away to the vet soon for vaccination - can you believe it, I'm nervous!!!:oops:

Good luck for the vaccination, I'm sure all will be fine :)

You have plenty of time to read and think about a friend but right now the most important thing is focusing on Peter and getting to know him and learning more about bunnies. The rest will come in time :)

Oh, and another thing. I see a few of you have mentioned wood shavings aren't great for them. Two questions:-

1. What do you recommend instead?

2. Why on earth do p@h sell it if it's been linked to eye and respiratory problems? Surely they know that people are going to buy it when it's stacked right next to the hutches. They ought to advise you against it at the till if they know you have a rabbitt. :rolleyes:

Oh, and another thing. I see a few of you have mentioned wood shavings aren't great for them. Two questions:-

2. Why on earth do p@h sell it if it's been linked to eye and respiratory problems? Surely they know that people are going to buy it when it's stacked right next to the hutches. They ought to advise you against it at the till if they know you have a rabbitt. :rolleyes:

1) other substrates are available, and other ways of lining hutches/enclosures are lino type flooring etc. Substrates such as megazorb/carefresh are great for litter trays

2) Because people will buy it, as they can make money from it. People dont know any better, because its not something thats pushed :wave:

Hay is good bedding and tasty too :D

I just use newspaper but my bun is an indoor bun.

They sell it because they aren't the best informed with regard to rabbit needs. They sell hutches that are far too small even though they aren't suitable either. Their job is just to sell stuff unfortunately.

The worst thing I saw in there was 2 lionlops, in a cramped tank/cage thing on sawdust. Lionlops are very fluffy bunnies indeed. They were wearing most of their bedding :roll:

Some pets at homes are better than others. It can be quite hit and miss. I generally find that the places in towns that have a big animal tradition (such as racing towns e.g. cheltenham) have the most informed staff. But I guess they bring their information from their own experiences where in the other pets at homes their info is just what they're told on their (many) training days :)

I just line my litter trays with newspaper and put some hay on top. It means that the dirty newpaper can just be lifted out with (normally) no bits and pieces stuck in the litter tray. After that I wash the tray out and leave it to dry as I have several trays to make cleaning them out a bit quicker.

..because it makes a profit and/or they are possibly ignorant to the problems it can cause :evil:

:wave:

1) Line the hutch with lino
2) Add towels/fleecy blankets for warmth & comfort (assuming bun doesn't chew them)
3) Insert litter bowl (high sided plastic bowl/box). Line with lots of newspaper (i.e. 3-4 full papers at the bottom) & fill with hay.
4) Ensure no hay elsewhere in the hutch. Put any droppings inside the litter bowl to give the bun(s) a clue ;)
5) Wait for it to be used!
6) Remove soiled newspaper & hay twice a day. Top up with fresh hay.

:wave:

Last edited:
Hi again :wave:

Just been reading through some more of the thread :) Re. your accommodation, would it be possible to have the hutch inside the shed permanently, but make a bun sized hole in the back of it which could be lined up to a cat flap in the shed ...then attach the run you've ordered to the shed? This is a system a lot of rabbit owners use & works well :) It would give Peter 24/7 access to a secure hutch & run, somewhere shady in the summer & warm in the winter. Your hutch will last longer but most importantly Peter will be safe :wave:

Going forward, IF you decide to get him a hunbun :love: your accommodation will be more acceptable to more rescues :D You could also consider adding to the run in the future without having to swap the main "house" around :wave:

Thanks folks for the replies. I think we'll go down the newspaper route with lots of nice straw and hay.

Fluffers, I don't think out hutch will fit in the shed, which is only a 6' x 4'. We got the run today and Peter looked so happy and content in it, with a few bits and pieces to make it interesting. It really was a joy to see him so content and happily munching away at the grass.

I intend connecting the run to the hutch, although I was advised by the vet to limit his access to grass to about an hour a day for a month or so to prevents stomach problems. He loves dandelion leaves, which we have in abundance in a field across from the house.

He got his first vaccination today which went well, i think I was more nervous than him.

New hutch up and running, much bigger than the first so with the run attached and his very regular forays into the house I'm hoping he is as happy with us as we are with him! :)

Glad Peter is enjoying his new home.

Just a word of caution, but perhaps someone has told you this already - sorry if I'm repeating, Peter needs to be introduced to grass very gradually as it can upset a bun (and especially a baby buns) tummy. I would start with just 5 mins on the first few days and build up very gradually. The same is true of any new foods.

Thanks Dusty, i'll keep an eye on that. I did discuss this with the vet and she said no more than an hour a day on grass for the first month or so. Having searched posts here, most suggest a lot less, so we'll go with a good bit less and keep an eye on him. He certainly seemed to like it but now I'm worried about his tum! :roll: Thanks.

Thanks Dusty, i'll keep an eye on that. I did discuss this with the vet and she said no more than an hour a day on grass for the first month or so. Having searched posts here, most suggest a lot less, so we'll go with a good bit less and keep an eye on him. He certainly seemed to like it but now I'm worried about his tum! :roll: Thanks.

I have a bun with a sensitive tummy, so if he goes out on grass I cover some of the lawn up with cardboard or a mat, and just leave a small area for him to eat :)

Back