• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will 12 week old indoor baby bunny grow winter coat if moved outside??

We've got a 12 year old male baby bunny that eventually is going to be housed outside and bonded with a female. I'm not sure if this will be possible this autumn, or we'd better wait until the spring. He is used to spending an hour a day outside running around the garden and grazing at the moment, and the room he sleeps in/our house is unheated, but I read that the baby coat does normally not get shed until 5 months of age.

Is it correct then, that even with gradually increasing the length of his exposure to the cold outside from day to day now, he won't grow a winter coat (so, even with a snug dry and insulated hutch, he'll not be warm enough to sleep outside this autumn and winter)? We're in central Scotland and temperatures are dropping to between 8 and 3 degrees at night at the moment. I'd like him to get to spend more time outside as he loves it, but I don't want him to freeze 🥶.

Last edited:
If he's not going to be bonded this side of Xmas, I would keep him indoors for now. Winter outside isn't much fun for a single rabbit. If he's in an unheated room, there's no reason why he can't spend some time outside now - but be wary later on when there is a more significant temperature difference. He also needs to be indoors for a few days immediately after his neuter op'. A girl would also need to be indoors for a week or 2, until she is fully healed after being spayed. The other option would be to get a rescue that has already been neutered and is living outside. Yours is old enough to be neutered (assuming that's 12 weeks rather than years), pending a vet check.

Outdoor acommodation needs to be dry and draughtproof. Minimum space recommendations still apply - they need to be able to keep active to stay warm.
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/outdoor-housing/

Thanks for your advice Shimmer. He has access to the whole garden (rabbit proofed all round) during the day and also continue to play with us in an unheated part of the house in winter. I'm just wondering whether a winter coat would actually grow or not in a rabbit this age at this time of year, for sleeping in his outdoor hutch, as well using it for shelter during the day. I think I'd like to wait with his op until he's a bit bigger, and get the lady in the spring. Maybe a bunny warmer in his hutch could do a good job....

Personally I would not keep him outdoors alone at any time of year, but especially not in winter. Even with a full winter coat he would be susceptible to hypothermia. The temperature of a burrow where wild Rabbits live remains at about 10c, so sub zero temperatures can be a challenge for a lone Rabbit. There is also the fact that Rabbits need a companion. Being kept outdoors all of the time would be a very lonely experience. So I would wait until he is bonded before doing that.

Also, unless you are supervising him ALL of the time being free range in a garden is very unsafe. Sadly there is no such thing as a ‘Bunny proof garden’.

https://www.nibbles.org.uk/post/free-roaming

The link provided by Shimmer gives you plenty of examples of suitable and safe outdoor housing for Rabbits :)

Neutering - Personally, I would get it done sooner rather than later. Some behaviours become embedded if neutering is delayed and it could affect the bonding. It's also easier to manage when the weather is still reasonable (both for travel and recovery). You need a clear 6 weeks or so post-neuter before bonding starts. Plus once you start thinking about another bunny, they tend to appear when you are not expecting it :).

Is the garden predator proof? Cats can be a real nuisance to rabbits, and are quite capable of causing serious injury by the curious swipe of a paw, or carrying a small rabbit away. Foxes are everywhere. We have an increasing number of birds of prey here - I've a sparrow hawk that visits the garden regularly and I see buzzards overhead at times. Not to mention stray dogs and people who don't have the best of intentions. Birds of prey can be deterred by netting over a fenceline, but that may cause issues with eg other birds getting caught.

Thanks for the replies. Foxes can't get into the garden and we're urban, and though I know sparrowhawks are plentiful eg in Edinburgh, never even seen one here (though being hawks, they usually hunt in flight anyway). Cats are the issue, but our last bunny had no probs with them as he wasn't to be messed with.. He was much happier living outside, with good instincts, and had survived pastorella and sspca told us not to pair him. He used to chew cables indoors and wasn't very cuddly, but got much more relaxed and affectionate when he had free roam outside. I've never been able to imagine keeping a rabbit permanently indoors since I saw how much happier he was. But it all depends on your local circumstances, the individual, the indoor and outdoor setup and so on, doesn't it...horses for courses. Good to know about the neutering age and impacts, thanks!

Foxes can easily clear my 6' fence - I've watched them do it in the past. They also dig under fencing. They are quite common in many urban areas, city centres, etc. I've also got photos of the sparrowhawk sat on the fence, under the bush where the bird feeder is by my lounge window. New cats can also suddenly appear and cause issues. Just saying - can't be too careful as it only takes one slip.

I really miss having a rabbit that will see off cats - it was so funny to watch.

Back