• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peter is here!!!!

The recommended size is obviously not needed because a lot of people have 4 feet long hutches and mine is 4.5 feet long and for a single rabbit that is definently enough room for him. Im only 12 years old and im looking for advice on the forum not negative comments.

I'm sorry some comments have upset you. :( I've got a 5 feet double decker for my rabbit - I don't regard it as ideal, nor the fact that my rabbit is single. I think he is a happy well-cared for rabbit though. Don't let people's well-meaning advice spoil your enjoyment of your new friend. :)

:thumb:

That is the hutch that he's moving into. It might look small in the picture but actually it's fine when you see inside it. It's not small at all. I can't believe that some people on the forum think that his double decker hutch is still too small. A six foot hutch is not needed because it's only one rabbit i have and it will have MORE than enough room to move around in inside the new hutch. I don't want to hear anymore negative comments about the size of the hutch. Sorry about this but it does annoy me when people say things like that.:evil:

Before I got Buddy I thought the exact same as you – I thought that a double decker hutch would be plenty of room for a rabbit, and I was planning to buy a hutch quite similar to your one. Then I found RU and the “A Hutch is Not Enough” campaign and I realised that rabbits need a LOT more room than that. :) Rabbits are very active and lively animals and if you put them in a hutch that small then they won’t be able to express their natural behaviours. :(

I'm sorry that it annoys you but we are only advising you to give your rabbit the best life possible - keep in mind that Peter could grow quite big, therefore that hutch probably won't be able to give him the quality of life he deserves. Many people have been fooled into thinking that rabbits can be kept happily in hutches, but the reality is that back in the Victorian times rabbits which were going to be killed and eaten were kept in hutches. :?

The recommended size is obviously not needed because a lot of people have 4 feet long hutches and mine is 4.5 feet long and for a single rabbit that is definently enough room for him. Im only 12 years old and im looking for advice on the forum not negative comments.

I'm going to just say the recommended size is needed, rabbits need a lot of space despite most people having smaller set ups. But also I didn't have anywhere near the right size accomadation when I first got my first bun but now there's been great improvements, and you are already looking out to improve Peter's accomadation already by buying a bigger hutch then the one he's in now which is great :D And wow, well done for being so mature, I'm 15 years old, lovely to have another member wanting to do the best for their (sorry, don't know if you're a boy or girl) rabbit :) :wave:

Hi folks, Blair's dad here. Peter, our new rabbit is settling in well. We have bought another hutch as we were all aware that the 3' hutch was too small.

The new one is 4'6" x 2 levels. I know this is not 6'x2'x2' but I'm afraid it's the biggest we can get. We were told at PAH that he should go in the shed/garage at winter. The garage is not an option because we use it and a
6' hutch won't fit in our shed as it's only a 6'x4' shed.

So, as you can see, we have to compromise. What we have ordered though is a 2mx2m run, which i intend to make a permanent fixture to the hutch so he can come and go as he pleases. Peter won't have this option in winter though as the run won't fit in the shed.

I'm as much in love with this rabbit as my son, he really is cute, and although we're not meeting RSPCA standards, believe me we're doing our best.

We are fortunate to have very large lawns in which to position the run, but as the garden is not fully enclosed, he cannot get total freedom.

Any suggestions as to when we can take the hutch out of the shed would be appreciated. We were advised to keep it in the shed until he was vaccinated.

Please be assured that Peter will get the best of care and will get into the house daily. Many thanks for all your help.

Steve

Hi folks, Blair's dad here. Peter, our new rabbit is settling in well. We have bought another hutch as we were all aware that the 3' hutch was too small.

The new one is 4'6" x 2 levels. I know this is not 6'x2'x2' but I'm afraid it's the biggest we can get. We were told at PAH that he should go in the shed/garage at winter. The garage is not an option because we use it and a

So, as you can see, we have to compromise. What we have ordered though is a 2mx2m run, which i intend to make a permanent fixture to the hutch so he can come and go as he pleases. Peter won't have this option in winter though as the run won't fit in the shed.

I'm as much in love with this rabbit as my son, he really is cute, and although we're not meeting RSPCA standards, believe me we're doing our best.

We are fortunate to have very large lawns in which to position the run, but as the garden is not fully enclosed, he cannot get total freedom.

Any suggestions as to when we can take the hutch out of the shed would be appreciated. We were advised to keep it in the shed until he was vaccinated.

Please be assured that Peter will get the best of care and will get into the house daily. Many thanks for all your help.

Steve

I think it's great that some one the age of Blair is looking into careing for his rabbit well and has the support of his dad who wants to do the best for the bun too, in my eyes the bun has a good home there :)

About the shed, so Peter's currently in a hutch in a shed? Does the shed have opening windows or a door so bunny won't overheat in this weather? :wave:

Steve

Welcome :wave:

I sent Blair a PM yesterday, not sure if he's seen it? (Didn't realise he was only 12!)

It gets a bit intense on here sometimes - I hope it won't put Blair off visiting :)

Welcome :wave:

I sent Blair a PM yesterday, not sure if he's seen it? (Didn't realise he was only 12!)

It gets a bit intense on here sometimes - I hope it won't put Blair off visiting :)

I also sent him one today to welcome him here, if he doesn't know then PM's are private messages you can send to members, at the top of the page where you're logged in it will say Private Messages :)

Hi Steve. Yeah we do get very pent up on our minimum sizes on this forum! We just care a lot.

You can use paving slabs, tubes, all sorts to make a secure run 24/7. There are some very inventive set ups on here if you need inspiration!

In winter he won't necessarily need to go in the shed, if you "winter proof" the hutch with hutch huggers - I think there's some on ebay who custom makes them - a ton of hay, snuggle safes etc, he'll be ok. Mine has a hutch hugger, with duvet underneath, blankets over the wire, they were fine in that down to -14C plus snow this year! But also there are two of them to keep each other snuggled.

If you sort out a good sized set up, maybe he can have a wifebun in future when he's neutered!

Last edited:
the shed door is open slightly at night so he can get fresh air and it wont be too cold either because it's a small shed so it wont be cold during the night.:)

During the day i keep the shed door wide open so the sun can shine into his hutch.:)

Hi again, the run your dad mentioned sounds lovely and its great that you have his help and support with Peter. Why not get Dad to take a look at the photo's of outdoor housing and perhaps he can see a way to weatherproof the hutch and run so that Peter can enjoy the space whatever the season and the weather. Although of course I am from the sunny south so perhaps don't understand the scottish climate which may not be suitable for all year round outdoor bunnies!

Hope Peter is enjoying his first night I expect he'll be tired from his exciting day.

That is the hutch that he's moving into. It might look small in the picture but actually it's fine when you see inside it. It's not small at all. I can't believe that some people on the forum think that his double decker hutch is still too small. A six foot hutch is not needed because it's only one rabbit i have and it will have MORE than enough room to move around in inside the new hutch. I don't want to hear anymore negative comments about the size of the hutch. Sorry about this but it does annoy me when people say things like that.:evil:

I'm sorry but it is true, that hutch only looks 4ft. The RSPCA recommends 6ft for a pair of rabbits, so really 5ft would be acceptable for a single bunny. Plus, double decker hutches actually loose space because of the ramp. He would be better off with a 6ft single than a 4ft double.

I hope you understand, we are only trying to help out your bunny.

Steve

Could you clear out the shed, and let him have free run of it? He could have the double decker hutch with the door always open, so he has decent space, then attach the run onto the shed so he can come and go.

I'm sorry, in my opinion, your 'best' is not really good enough. You know what is best for the bunny and it should be provided, otherwise, its best to not own one. The run sounds good and attached to the shed would be great, but A HUTCH IS NOT ENOUGH. http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

I just wanted to say I think you're doing a great job so far!
They might have said keep him in until he's vaccinated because it's the flies that carry myxomatosis. I think it's warm enough for him to go out now as it's not a huge change in temperature from being inside. :)

It's up to you what you do in the winter. Most rabbits who live outside will grow a thick winter coat during the autumn and be fine outside in the winter. You can get hutch covers but I just covered mine with a fleece and plastic sheeting to keep them warm. But lots of people also bring their rabbits inside.

Okay folks, I've read the welfare site, and yes, it's food for thought. The first thing I'm going to do is ensure the run we've ordered is high enough for Peter to stretch and stand up in.

Then I'll have a look at the other things mentioned on the site. I can see why you guys are so passionate, as it's all about education and giving the bunny the best life possible. This has certainly given me a few things to think about. I'll let you know how we get on.....Steve

The run we've ordered is the 'Meadow Lodge Parkland' XL. The run is 200cm x114cm x 54 cm high. Is that high enough for Peter to stretch out?

Back