• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pee and poop problem

KCG

Warren Veteran
Hello to everyone,
I haven't written for a long time, but unfortunately I'm facing a behavior change. Cookie has been pooping outside the toilet tray for 1,5-2 month, sometimes peeing (but this is rare). He had a very good toilet habit, but this has changed in 1,5-2 month.

At the beginning of September, Cookie had a urinary tract infection and took antibiotics and recovered. Then we went on vacation together, we were always on the go but he was fine on that vacation but he kept pooping everywhere. We came home a week ago and he still poops everywhere and today he peeing on the living room carpet. Also his health is good now, he eats very well, he poops and his behaviours are very relaxed and energetic.
Do you think this might be the reason? Why might Cookie's toilet habits be disturbed?

I think the travelling and the change of locations might be making him poo, and sometimes pee, everywhere because of territorial issues, to establish that this is his space, possibly to reassure himself.

I think the travelling and the change of locations might be making him poo, and sometimes pee, everywhere because of territorial issues, to establish that this is his space, possibly to reassure himself.

I agree with this. It should resolve itself once he feels more settled in his environment.

Thank you for your answers, but the problem is that there was this problem before the vacation and it still continues. So why was it before?

9t8iDeT

Did something happen at home that might have made Cookie unsure of his territory? Did you get a lot of new furniture, or move things about a lot, or did you get visitors, or has someone's dog or cat come in, or anything else you can think of?

Did something happen at home that might have made Cookie unsure of his territory? Did you get a lot of new furniture, or move things about a lot, or did you get visitors, or has someone's dog or cat come in, or anything else you can think of?

I totally agree with this plus my bunny Julie would pee and poop outside her litter box if I tried to stop her from doing anything that she really wanted to do. Example : Every time I tried to use some sort of hay feeder it made her mad. She wanted her hay in a big pile so she could burrow under it and toss it all about everywhere. Another example is if I removed a toy that was yucky and the replacement toy wasn't what she wanted.

I totally agree with this plus my bunny Julie would pee and poop outside her litter box if I tried to stop her from doing anything that she really wanted to do. Example : Every time I tried to use some sort of hay feeder it made her mad. She wanted her hay in a big pile so she could burrow under it and toss it all about everywhere. Another example is if I removed a toy that was yucky and the replacement toy wasn't what she wanted.

Actually, I have an idea about the bed sheet underneath. I always replace it with a new one. Cookie's pet park has cotton sheets on his carpet. Could it be because I change the sheet under it every week?

Actually, I have an idea about the bed sheet underneath. I always replace it with a new one. Cookie's pet park has cotton sheets on his carpet. Could it be because I change the sheet under it every week?
Hm, if you've been doing that for a long time I don't think that would be it, unless you've maybe started using different detergent and it suddenly smells differently to Cookie?

Julie sounds hilarious. what a character she was:love:

Hm, if you've been doing that for a long time I don't think that would be it, unless you've maybe started using different detergent and it suddenly smells differently to Cookie?

I guess you were right, he does regional marking. I picked up his poop on his carpet today and he didn't pee :D

Julie sounds hilarious. what a character she was:love:

She was quite the character. She forced everyone who she came in contact with to pet her. She would jam her head under everyone's feet to make people pet her while eating at the table. We would have to keep one foot moving gently over her body petting her. She would nudge your feet and legs and jam her head until you did it and she would go from person to person. Funny thing is everyone who came to our house actually did it. Even my mother in law who hates animals petted her and she made her love her. A plumber too who said he didn't like animals and asked me to keep her away. I was trying my best to get her out of the kitchen but she got away from me and she pulled on his clothing for attention while he was lying on the floor with his head under the sink. He was clearly afraid of her but even he ended up giving her head a little pet
and said she was okay for an animal. I swear she could make everyone and anyone pet her, feed her and like her. But she only liked humans, she hated rabbits and all other animals. Raul budgie bird loved her and wanted to play with her. She chased him but he wasn't really afraid of her and kept coming back.
He demanded that everyone play with him. He didn't care if you wanted to or not. He was determined to play with her and followed her around and even sat on her head. He would run around and under her and she would try to lie down on him and succeed a couple of times. I would have to get her off him before she suffocated him. I couldn't blame her for not liking him though as he came and stole small toys and he did steal her attention as he was equally demanding of attention.

Sounds like he keeps you busy cleaning! I know it's not nice when they pee on carpet. It's not very easy to clean, and once it smells of their urine, they'll keep peeing on it.

It is certainly a pain especially if you don't notice until it has dried and light carpet. Even worse if you rent. You probably already know this but just in case you didn't think of it. White vinegar with a little warm water and a drop of dish soap can help with neutralizing the odor and stain but still isn't very easy.

Sounds like he keeps you busy cleaning! I know it's not nice when they pee on carpet. It's not very easy to clean, and once it smells of their urine, they'll keep peeing on it.

It is certainly a pain especially if you don't notice until it has dried and light carpet. Even worse if you rent. You probably already know this but just in case you didn't think of it. White vinegar with a little warm water and a drop of dish soap can help with neutralizing the odor and stain but still isn't very easy.

I hope he goes back to his old days completely :(

Cookie probably seems to be acting regionally. How can I
stop this?:(
Often it helps if you go back to basics, so restricting his space to a small area until he goes reliably on the litter tray again, and then slowly increasing his space. I know it's not fun to restrict their space, though.

Often it helps if you go back to basics, so restricting his space to a small area until he goes reliably on the litter tray again, and then slowly increasing his space. I know it's not fun to restrict their space, though.

Ahh I would feel so heartless if I did this :(

Back