• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur oral suspension. which dosage?

rosaleen

Warren Scout
I’ve been advised to use the panacur oral suspension rather than the paste so as to administer a more accurate dose for a rabbit’s weight. But the information leaflet seems to give a range of doses for different animals.
which is the right dosage recommendation for a rabbit please? Thanks.

What are you using it for ?

If for EC then it’s 20mg/kg/ day Assuming that you have the Panacur 10% liquid this equates to 0.2ml/kg/day

Thanks for your reply.
I’m confused about the difference between EC which you’ve mentioned before in another thread to me and what I call E. Coli the parasite which I believe can cause things like head tilt, limb paralysis and cataracts.

Thanks for your reply.
I’m confused about the difference between EC which you’ve mentioned before in another thread to me and what I call E. Coli the parasite which I believe can cause things like head tilt, limb paralysis and cataracts.

E Coli AKA Escherichia Coli o157

EC AKA Encephalitozoon Cuniculi

Thanks very much for this info I’m doing a screen shot to save it.
so it’s E. cuniculi I need the dosage information for. Thanks again

The new vet s MH says “ likely sequalae to E. Coniculi
no signs of active pain or discomfort but may need enucleation if signs shows
option to test for EC with bloods
so that seems to confirm at present E. Cuniculi? So could I please have the dosage for that. thansl

The new vet s MH says “ likely sequalae to E. Coniculi
no signs of active pain or discomfort but may need enucleation if signs shows
option to test for EC with bloods
so that seems to confirm at present E. Cuniculi? So could I please have the dosage for that. thansl

As Shimmer posted, the dose is as I previously stated, 0.2ml/kg/day which equates to 20mg/kg/day for 28 days.

All in contact Rabbits should be treated too. Great care needs to be taken to minimise the ingestion of urine contaminated hay. EC spores are shed in the urine. So if the Rabbit(s) eat anything contaminated with urine they are likely to re-infect themselves.

Thanks for this. Both rabbits are having the panacur.
not sure what the solution is for contamination. Frequent changes of the hay?
normal current procedure is to keep adding fresh hay on top of their existing hay 4-5 times a day. thE hay never feels actually wet because of this. Then regularly changing the whole bed, a large dog bed

Best to use a hay rack for hay and a different substrate for the litter box. All urine contaminated hay needs to be removed ASAP.

Thanks for your advice on this. They do have a hay rack though it’s not very large They used it a lot when they first came but I suppose me putting down a regular supply of fresh hay in /on the bed was more inviting.
You advise a different substrate for their bed - which is also their litter tray. So yet another question I’m afraid. What do you suggest please?

Sorry one more last question. As there may possibly always be even a 1% chance of continuing infection should the panacur then be administered every 3 months for 9 days at a time?

Sorry one more last question. As there may possibly always be even a 1% chance of continuing infection should the panacur then be administered every 3 months for 9 days at a time?

Some Vets say yes, others no. Personally for a new intake Rabbit who has never had any active clinical symptoms of EC I do a one off 28 day course of Panacur and I do not treat them again unless clinical symptoms were to present. If the Rabbit has a history of active EC then I would give a 9 day course prior to any stressful event such as having a GA for a Dental or before bonding. Stress can affect the immune system and thus a relapse of ‘active’ EC might occur.

With EC there is still much that is not certain, even Vets are not all in agreement about how best to manage the control of the disease.

Scroll down to ‘Prevention’ on this link

I've had rabbits who tended to relapse with EC. I treated for 28 days again every time the symptoms became apparent. You get used to the subtle signs for each of them. If it's definitely (or at least highly likely to be) EC, you also need an anti-inflammatory (such as Metacam). The Panacur reduces the parasitic loading in the rabbit, and the metacam reduces the neurological symptoms that the parasite causes (ie the damage, such as head tilt or hind leg weakness).

I've never done a routine 9 days of Panacur for EC due to the lifecycle of the parasite.

Don't forget that the parasite is shed in urine, so anything in contact / possible contact with urine needs to be appropriately treated / cleaned / disposed of weekly during the treatment. Bleach, steam, Virkon S and other specific disinfectants are effective.

Many thanks to you both. I’ll take your information and advice on board
the vet’s MH questions if there may be e.Coli and/or EC
see my post at 9.32am yesterday- or is it the day before.

Many thanks to you both. I’ll take your information and advice on board
the vet’s MH questions if there may be e.Coli and/or EC
see my post at 9.32am yesterday- or is it the day before.

The Vet is 100% referring to Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC) NOT E. Coli.

‘Cun’ with a ‘U’ not ‘Con’ with an ‘O’

Back