• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Omg Louis Just Ate A Load Of Elastic! - UPDATE: He's in Surgery :(

OMG, just arrived a work to find this thread :cry:

Any news on Louis this morning???

Love and Hugs

Kerina

Louis made it through the night!!!! :D

It looked touch and go at some points but he is still here and seemed to pick up at about 5am and just get a bit more life into his eyes.

I spent all night siringe feeding him and giving him water so he now hates me but I would rather have a living bunny that hates me than a dead one that doesnt.

I rang the vets at 8.30 and they said to bring him straight in so he was there when Erica got in. The nurse who looked after Louis was telling me about the extremes they went through to keep him warm in surgery - bubble wrap, heat pads blankets etc etc.

When Erica walked in she thought he was there because he had pulled out his stitches not because he was sick. She examined him and said that his tempreture was now normal - Im hoping that wasnt just because he went there sat on a hot water bottle - and that she was pleased to be able to hear gut sounds , which she couldnt yesterday - she let me have a listen too. She said yesterday she couldnt hear any only his heart beat. He wasnt dehydrated which is good so I guess what I did get in him kept him toped up.

She then showed me his x-ray and how his intestine was the wrong shape, indicating there was something wrong, and also that his stomach was enlarged.

She said that she is keeping him in today and that she is going to give him probiotics, antibiotics in case he is getting an infection, she may give him metacam. She said that she might give him painkillers, although he doesnt seem to be in pain but he had 48 hours worth yesterday. She then said I had to go home and get some sleep and she would ring me this afternoon - She also said that she wasnt going to charge for having him in!

At the moment Im confident Louis is going to make a full recovery as he has improved so much but I do know I have to be a bit careful as rabbits can suddenly go down hill. I feel as though he is in the right place and with a good vet so at least I can sleep soundly knowing he is getting the best care.

Are you giving your Rabbit any pain relief? If you aren't then i'd be asking the vet why not, my bun has a big infection in her jaw done at the mo and although this is bad i don't think she's in as much pain as your bun and she's on 12 drops of MetaCam in the morning and 12 drops at night, if you can without sounding rude to your vet ask if she thinks your bun should have some sort of pain relief, as i see it as long as your bun is in pain it won't eat and all this hot water bottle stuff and keeping your bun warm is just a waste of time.:(

Are you giving your Rabbit any pain relief? If you aren't then i'd be asking the vet why not, my bun has a big infection in her jaw done at the mo and although this is bad i don't think she's in as much pain as your bun and she's on 12 drops of MetaCam in the morning and 12 drops at night, if you can without sounding rude to your vet ask if she thinks your bun should have some sort of pain relief, as i see it as long as your bun is in pain it won't eat and all this hot water bottle stuff and keeping your bun warm is just a waste of time.:(

"She said that she might give him painkillers, although he doesnt seem to be in pain but he had 48 hours worth yesterday"

"She said that she might give him painkillers, although he doesnt seem to be in pain but he had 48 hours worth yesterday"

Ooop's!! Hope my message didn't upset you, this is just my thoughts, and i'd have thought the pain would still be there for a bit longer than 48hours.

So pleased he made it through the night. Hope he continues to improve at the vets. Sending vibes for him x x

I just spoke to the vet and Louis isnt any worse but he isnt doing much better either.

Apparently he is eating hay on his own but she is still having to siringe feed him but he is giving her plenty of fight to do it so he isnt feeling too crappy. He has had painkiller and she is going to send him home with some metacam to be on the safe side.

He isnt stressed about being at the vets, I think he is used to it, but she thinks that he may as well come home tonight. She has a cat in and is going back to check on it at about 11.30 but I dont think there will be anyone there through the night so in that case I would rather he was home - she said "I dont want you staying up all night worrying about him though so if thats the case I would rather he was here" - which is nice that she is concerned about the both of us.

She wants to check the size of his stomach, which was enlarged yesterday, to make sure there isnt something going on there and she is going to try and do an ultra sound to do that, rather than xray, as it is a lot less invasive because he has already been through so much already.

He does still have diorea, which isnt good and that is something I would really like to be better soon for his sake. She is going to give him some supreme recovery (I think thats it) food to see if that also helps him.

I am going to go down there at 6.30 to collect him and have another chat about where we go from here - I wonder at the moment if it will be a case of me taking care of him through the night and then taking him back there for the day shift.

Erica told him this morning that it didnt matter how stubbon he tried to be she was more stubbon so I dont think she is going to let anything happen to him

:D Erica is amazing - in my opinion thanks for the support Faye!

I have collected Louis and he looks better than he did this morning and a hundred times better than he did last night. His poo is becoming more solid, he has eaten a little bit on his own and he seems brighter. He has been giving lots of pain releif and he had a shot before he left to top him up and has also been sent home with some science recover to give him if he doesnt eat or drink a lot.

He is back at the vets at 9.30 tomorrow for another follow up and then we are going to take it from there.

Back