• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Omg Louis Just Ate A Load Of Elastic! - UPDATE: He's in Surgery :(

Just touching it is enough Im afraid.

Have you been instructed to syringe feed him and if so what with?

If he is not eating willingly by tomorrow he needs to go back to the vets....he may need more painrelief and fluids if he has dehydrated as dehydration is a key contributer to gut stasis.

Erica did what she thought was the best thing for Louis

I dont think she actually cut into his gut from what she said, it sounds like she had a good look at it but didnt actually cut into it.

At the moment he is pooing and peeing but refuses to eat anything. How long till I should start to panic?

I would start to syringe feed him about 5-10ml every hour

You can make up a liquid feed by pouring boiled water over his usual pellet feed, liquidise it and allow it to cool.

Janex

Thank you

and Thanks Jane - I dont know if I have a siringe in the house at the moment - Louis and Grace were both ill recently and I think they went through most of them. If I do have any they are probably old ones that are no longer sterile.

I dont have a liquidiser either so hope that pushing it through a sift works. -- I have only put Louis back in his cage in the last 30 minutes and he is sleeping. I am going to give him till midnight to start eating on his own and then I will have to see if I can figure some way to make him eat.

I dont want to do it in all honesty ONLY because he was on baytril for 2 weeks and now FREAKS at the sight of a siringe. It would take me 20 minutes, a lot of fighting and a VERY stressed bunny to get his medicine in him. I worry that all the physical struggling and stress will make him worse not better.

Something the practice manager said is playing on my mind. She said that when she went in his cage there was food everywhere so he had been eating. Louis was still wobbly when I collected him and I am concerned that he knocked his bowl and thats why there was food everywhere as he always just eats his food in the bowl and doesnt decorate with it.

His bowl movements remain good at the moment - very big poos

He is getting worse!!

He is struggling to regulate his tempreture and he had dhiorea in his cage. I spoke to the nurse at the emergancy vet and she said to do the hot water bottle thing to warm him up and siringe feed him food and water.

I just managed to give him some food but he wont swallow it so it is sitting in his mouth but she said that was ok he will swallow eventually - I will give him 15 mins to do that then give him water.

She said he has a 50/50 chance of surviving till morning

Why wont they take him in? :( :( :(

He needs pain relief, fluid thearpy, gut stimulants, PH stabilisers and intensive nurseing...

His best chance of survival is going to be with an experienced veterinary nurse with vets on standby.

A rabbit in pain will NOT eat.

Please warm his syringe feeds to body temperature.

He has had pain killers, he has had a gut stimulant and the nurse said that his chances are as good at home as they would be here and the stress of going there will probaby make him worse not better. She also said the fact he has had diorea is actually not a bad bad sign, she says it is probably a reaction to the antibiotics and the fact his body has expelled it means his gut is still moving and is not in stasis.

You can add a little apple juice to the water to make it tastier, likewise to the food. What are you syringe feeding him. A mush of his usual pellets is fine if you don't have recovery. Also tempt him with anything he'll eat like fresh foods :)

It's find just to put a little in at a time. Usually they start gradually and once they've eaten a bit they'll up how much :)

Tamsin

I managed to get Pippa eating after surgery with grated carrot, worth a try. Fingers crossed he makes it, I think we are all rooting for him, good luck xx

Is he on any probiotics eg Fibreplex? As this would really help especially after surgery and with him being on antibiotics. If the diarrhoea continues I would take him back to the vet to be put on a drip as they can very quickly become dehydrated. If he temperature is low he won't want to eat so I would warm him up then try syringe feeding again.
Hope he gets better soon.
Emily

Last edited:
How is Louis?
Hope he's still with you. I've only just caught up with this. Sending loads of vibes for Louis, thinking of you x

Back