• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OMG Bobbie is Building a Nest!! U/D 17th June

You do whatever you feel is right for Bobbie. My gut feeling would be to leave the new babies in with her and make a play area for the older babies and supplement them with milk if needed. I believe the first priority is Bobbie and her existing babies and maybe the new ones will make it. If she was still with the breeder then he'd certainly wouldn't handrear any and he must get litter after litter from these poor does otherwise he wouldn't remate them so soon, so you may find she'll cope, somehow :cry: However you're the one in this awful situation and I do feel for you. Keep calm and a straight head if you can and think things through before making a decision in a panic.

Good luck with them, Kathryn x

Jane. Although making such a decision is a heatbreaking one for you, I think your choice is the logical one. You are a truly amazing person Jane and so much stronger than you think! Thinking of you.

Jane what an awful dilemma to be in. I think you are doing the right thing, its not fair on bobbie otherwise... I would also like to :censored: strangle that stupid :censored: :censored: of a bredder, :censored: idiot!!!! :evil: :evil:

Oh god I was hoping it was a false alarm :shock:

I know nothing about these things, but I think I would leave the babies in with Bobbie and let nature take its course...

Thinking of you, and wanting to show my support for whichever of the tough choices you have to make. x

If you do decide to handrear I'd suggest letting them have a couple of days with mum so they get her milk first - that would at least give them some of the anti-bodies etc. they need.

Tam

Could you leave all of them in with her, and supplement feed with kitten milk the older ones and/or the younger ones?

That way they still have comfort of mum and she will potentially still feed them all but if on occasion one misses out on a feed you would be there to top up? and maybe it would be a bit less demanding for Bobbie?

I know its not the same and Bobbie's condition is poor but when our Doe had 10 kits (and obviously they only have 8 teats) funnily there were two or three that were small and seemed to not do as well as the others. We initially thouught let nature take its course but after a few days when they started to grow fur we felt we couldn't just let nature take its course so we left them all with her but supplement fed am and pm them with kitten milk with a tiny amount of pro biotic sprinkled in.

Could that be a possible avenue to take? We found some were very hungry and wanted to take the kitten milk, others weren't bothered so we took that as they were getting enough from mum.

I would do this with the older kits as the newborns don't stand a chance of surviving if they are handreared this young. If it's making me feel like crying I dread to think how you feel Jane :(

Oh Jane, I'm sorry! I've no advice or experience in this so just sending non-pregnant bunny vibes to Bobby and healing stress free vibes to you ((hugs)). That "Breeder" certainly has a lot to answer for. At least they are with you and the best possible care they could ever need or want.

Oooo Jane Im so sorry :( I really have no experience with babies at all. Whatever you decide to do I know it will be the best one for Bobbie. Thinking of you, Bobbie and the Boblets.

Can you tell some compatible milk for the upcoming new born?

If not, the next best case would be baby food, or Milupa

http://www.milupa-aptamil.co.uk/

Remember there are a lot of human who doesn't breast feed their babies and rely on manufacturer purchase milk and they still grow up fine.

keep us posted

As much as I dont WANT to sacrifice the newborns I honestly do not think Bobbie has a chance of surviving nursing ANOTHER litter for at least 6 weeks :cry: :cry: The Boblets are robust and healthy at the moment, and needing Bobbie's milk less and less. The birth of the newborns is going to take its toll on an already exhausted and poorly Bobbie. IF the kits are born alive I feel I have to remove them straight away. I will attempt to hand rear.
I just HAVE to put Bobbie first. She is such a sweet, gentle Bunny and my heart is breaking for her. She is still frantically nest building :cry: :cry:

OMG...................:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Janex

Awww Jane ((hugest hugz))! I cant give any advice - but I know you will do what you think is best - and in other 'human' situations involving unborn babies - I know that they always put mum first... and I know you will do that with Bobbie. You're probably right in the fact shes pregnant.....
But can I be really dum and ask a question? -
A couple of things .... could it be that shes so used to having litters 4 weeks apart - and shes just expecting that shes got another lot ? - I know that sounds stupid ... and I dont suppose she could be hormonal at all ? :? Probably all wrong but was just my thoughts.
Thinking of you! --x-- and btw you've given bobbie more than heaven these last few weeks - and if anything God forbid happened to her, she will have known what happiness is because of you.

Awww Jane ((hugest hugz))! I cant give any advice - but I know you will do what you think is best - and in other 'human' situations involving unborn babies - I know that they always put mum first... and I know you will do that with Bobbie. You're probably right in the fact shes pregnant.....
But can I be really dum and ask a question? -
A couple of things .... could it be that shes so used to having litters 4 weeks apart - and shes just expecting that shes got another lot ? - I know that sounds stupid ... and I dont suppose she could be hormonal at all ? :? Probably all wrong but was just my thoughts.
Thinking of you! --x-- and btw you've given bobbie more than heaven these last few weeks - and if anything God forbid happened to her, she will have known what happiness is because of you.

Please will you have a word with 'Him upstairs' on Bobbie's behalf. I cant 'believe' but I know you do and Bobbie needs help from everywhere right now

Jane + Bobbie x

In my opinion I think your making the wrong decision Jane if Bobby does have another litter of kits.

Yes I understand you need to look out for Bobby and her remaining kits but surely the newborns deserve a chance of survival to? Taking newborn babies away from her as soon as she has birthed is one hell of a risk and like other people have said they will more than likely die.

Animals have an amazing way of coping. If things look like there going a bit Pete Tong intervene but at least give Bobby a chance to do her thing

Louise

Jane i don't have any advice but i am sending as many vibes as possible that everything goes well xxx

In my opinion I think your making the wrong decision Jane if Bobby does have another litter of kits.

Yes I understand you need to look out for Bobby and her remaining kits but surely the newborns deserve a chance of survival to? Taking newborn babies away from her as soon as she has birthed is one hell of a risk and like other people have said they will more than likely die.

Animals have an amazing way of coping. If things look like there going a bit Pete Tong intervene but at least give Bobby a chance to do her thing

Louise

I have to agree, animals are amazing and can cope with more than you think. I hope whatever you decide it turns out good.
Sallyx

I'd also consider the mental toll it will take on Bobbie to remove the kittens. She won't know you've done it 'for the best', all she'll know is she's spent all her maternal energy making this nest just for her babies to literally disappear on her.
I think if she feels she is unable to cope with a second litter she will deal with them herself - mother animals will often eat their litter if there's not enough resources for all of them so she can get some sort of nutrition from them

Back