• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OMG Bobbie is Building a Nest!! U/D 17th June

No, she will not attack the other babies. They need to stay with her until they are weaned too. It will put a LOT of stress on her body, so make sure you give her plenty of TLC and lots of food.

Make sure you seperate her from the babies before the boys are old enough to get her pregnant (can be by 12 weeks).

Unfortunately rabbits can get pregnant the moment they give birth, so they can deliver a litter of babies every 4 weeks.

They're in a biggish area aren't they? I've got no experience but I'd tend to leave them with her. She may growl and chase them away from the nest but as long as there is enough room for them to 'leave' if she does I wouldn't have thought she's do any damage. She may come out of the nest and still let them suckle too?

Or perhaps you could put a low barrier to split the area that she can hop over and they can't that way she has access to them if she wants?

Tam

Tam this would be dangerous if she decides she doesn't want to suckle the older ones, they NEED her milk and could starve to death.

We have experience of this happening at the rescue, leave all the babies in with her.

I don't think she'll attack the older ones. I think its more likely that the new boblets will not be able to get to her for milk as the older boblets will be much stronger and want milk from her so they younger ones may not survive long if the older ones are left in. Sorry I couldn't tell you where I got that info as I just collated it all when I was desperately searching for info incase the doe I got was pregnant again as she still had a litter with her.

Oh dear, it does sound like she's nest building for real huh. :cry: I think if you were going to hand rear any the older boblets have a better chance of being hand reared from now on as they have been with mum for getting on to 4 weeks so will have some strength whereas new boblets won't have had any of her milk to build them up. But I totally understand you not wanting to risk the health of the older Boblets. :?

Oh Jane poor you and poor Bobbie, what a situation to be in :cry:

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and sending every vibe i can think of x x x

Sorry my opinion differs from everyone elses :? :oops:
I'm sure whatever happens you'll do the best thing by all of them x x x

Oh God, should I take the newborns away and attempt hand rearing in the full knowledge its unlikely to be successful. I cant loose Bobbie, I just cant
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Janex

I didn't think of that Nix, I guess she might get pretty annoyed with having two lots to feed and avoid them if possible.

At four weeks (which presumably they are if she does give birth) the bun I'm handrearing was happy to drink milk from a bowl if you do need to suppliment them with formula.

Maybe weigh mum and see how she does if she loses weight to drastically then it might be a back up plan.

Aw Jane, sorry I've no advice or knowledge to share. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that everything is going to be ok. Sending vibes for Bobbie and the Boblets

Oh Jane, I have no advice when it comes with what to do with the baby situation but just to let you know I'm thinking of you....
Poor Bobbie :(

Poor girl :cry: I guess though the doe has the decision of whether or not to raise the next litter, I know that's not a nice thing to say, but if her current litter is taking out a lot from her, she can decide not to raise the new litter. Sorry, but nature is nature.

Even though I have Cashies my does never have two litters at once, so can't offer any advice other than the above.

Jane, leave all the babies in with their mum. Let nature take it's cause. Your job is to look after Bobbie. Let Bobbie do the rest. Rabbits are amazing animals, trust me :)

Could you leave all of them in with her, and supplement feed with kitten milk the older ones and/or the younger ones?

That way they still have comfort of mum and she will potentially still feed them all but if on occasion one misses out on a feed you would be there to top up? and maybe it would be a bit less demanding for Bobbie?

I know its not the same and Bobbie's condition is poor but when our Doe had 10 kits (and obviously they only have 8 teats) funnily there were two or three that were small and seemed to not do as well as the others. We initially thouught let nature take its course but after a few days when they started to grow fur we felt we couldn't just let nature take its course so we left them all with her but supplement fed am and pm them with kitten milk with a tiny amount of pro biotic sprinkled in.

Could that be a possible avenue to take? We found some were very hungry and wanted to take the kitten milk, others weren't bothered so we took that as they were getting enough from mum.

Jane, I have been in contact with a breeder :censored: and he said that the two lots of litters will be fine as long as the mother is healthy enough :( He said to leave the two litters with her as the older ones will wean quicker anyway - keep giving lots and lots of food and tlc to Bobbie and lots of food and hay to the older Boblets. The more hay and food that the older Boblets have the less they will need to suckle.
Because Bobbie is in poor health the babies may well be born dead:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: and to be honest, in my opinion, would be a blessing for Bobbie:cry:
The breeder also said to give the older Boblets a play area (if you can) and let them snooze and play there while Bobbie sees to any other babies.
I so hope that this is just a phantom but I doubt it :( Poor Bobbie, I am sending every vibe that I can to her - the poor, poor girl.
And you are right, if I could get my hands on the :censored: breeder - I bet there'd be a heck of a :censored: queue to get to him/her:censored:

I think maybe when/if the new ones arrive as the days unfold, I'm sure you'll know whats the best thing to do Jane. The solution, sort of, present itself. If you know what I mean. :?

Thinking of you and beautiful little Bobbie.

Thanks everyone. I really dont think Bobbie can survive raising another litter. She has been on abx for the 3 weeks she has been here (Snuffles/ severe conjunctivitis) She is so very frail. I know you will all hate me but I intend to remove the newborns. I will attempt handrearing, but we all know how unlikely it is that I will succeed.

Bobbie HAS to be my first concern. She has endured h*ll in her previous 'home' and I dont want her to die before she gets a chance to experience the sort of life she deserves.

My poor, poor Bobbie.....................:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Janex

No one will hate you.
You're doing what you feel is right for that poor bun in an awful situation.
I'm sure you'll have everyones support.

Back