• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not himself :( U/D 14/1/14 Feeling calmer

EmmArghh

Young Bun
Hi guys,

I haven't posted in a while, been super busy with a new course and work.
In summer I rehomed Martha from this site and her and Harvey have been living happily ever since.

Last night I went out to give them their salad and noticed that there were still nuggets left in the bowl from that morning - this was shocking as they're both gannets!
I let them out for a run this afternoon and noticed that the nuggets were barely touched, I started getting worried so I whacked the treats out (Martha went crazy but Harvey ignored me completely), I then tried apple and thyme which are his absolute favourites... still nothing!
Thankfully, having looked after quite a few ill bunnies over the years, I had some Recovery Powder, so I mixed some of that and gave him a little (I'll give him more if there's still no sign of eating later).

He's completely not acting himself. He's not very active and is even letting me give him a cuddle (usually he'd claw and bite me to no end)

I've health checked him and he seems perfectly fine, his teeth are a nice length, there's no sign of bloat or anything. The only other thing that I've noticed is that there isn't a lot of his poo in the hutch at the moment.

Could it be possible that he's constipated?
How can I attempt to treat this? Pineapple juice?

If he's still the same tomorrow I'll get him to the vets.

Thanks for any advice!

Emma, Harvey & Martha
xxx

Last edited:
If he's refusing all foods, he needs to see a vet NOW. Likely in pain, so will require pain relief and possibly zantac/metaclopromide (if an obstruction is ruled out) - as there I no output also as well as no input, I would be very concerned.

If his teeth are hurting he wont want anything solid, mush up some pellets in luke warm water and give him them on a plate and see if he's interested - if he's not, I doubt its dental but its still possible.

Hi guys,

I haven't posted in a while, been super busy with a new course and work.
In summer I rehomed Martha from this site and her and Harvey have been living happily ever since.

Last night I went out to give them their salad and noticed that there were still nuggets left in the bowl from that morning - this was shocking as they're both gannets!
I let them out for a run this afternoon and noticed that the nuggets were barely touched, I started getting worried so I whacked the treats out (Martha went crazy but Harvey ignored me completely), I then tried apple and thyme which are his absolute favourites... still nothing!
Thankfully, having looked after quite a few ill bunnies over the years, I had some Recovery Powder, so I mixed some of that and gave him a little (I'll give him more if there's still no sign of eating later).

He's completely not acting himself. He's not very active and is even letting me give him a cuddle (usually he'd claw and bite me to no end)

I've health checked him and he seems perfectly fine, his teeth are a nice length, there's no sign of bloat or anything. The only other thing that I've noticed is that there isn't a lot of his poo in the hutch at the moment.

Could it be possible that he's constipated?
How can I attempt to treat this? Pineapple juice?

If he's still the same tomorrow I'll get him to the vets.

Thanks for any advice!

Emma, Harvey & Martha
xxx

He is showing all the classic symptoms of gut stasis

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

This may or may not be secondary to Dental problems. He needs to be examined by a Vet today

Agree with Jane on this one.... its hard to second guess..... but i would say also say stasis, possibly secondry to dental and would advise a vet ASAP!

Hi guys,
I took Harvey to the vet that evening.
They have him an injection that would help get his gut moving if it was constipation, and some recovery. A couple of hours after getting him home he was back to his usual self hopping around and eating hay. The vet said he couldn't feel anything wrong in his stomach area and he was in no pain, he also checked his teeth and said that they were perfect. So later that night I stopped worrying, although today the worries are back.
He's still spending most of his time downstairs on his own and is refusing to touch his nuggets. He's had a couple of pieces of spring greens chopped up and had a go at eating them but it's almost as if he's getting bored??
Gave him one of the pets at home rabbit doughnuts and he wolfed it down.
The bottom of the hutch is a run and as its on concrete so the bottom is covered in straw to make it a little warmer.I've started putting a little hay down there for him but he seems to be chewing straw a lot.I'm not sure if he's eating it though?
Could he be eating this and its filling him up (I'm aware that straw takes much longer to digest)??
It's it possible for him to be bored of his current nuggets (he's currently on excel nuggets, should I try him on science selective?)?

Sorry again for the massive essay!

Thanks
Emma, Harvey & Martha
xxx

Did the vet give you any meds to continue at home?
Did the vet check the back molars?

He didnt check with a scope, which really irritated me he pretty much rubbed his jaws together and felt/listen as he had his molars checked on the 4th December and they were fine.

He gave me recovery, but thats all.

Considering the emergency vets at this stage?

It sounds like it could be dental, even with a scope a vet cannot always see teeth problems at the very back. I have a bunny who needs regular dentals and at least half the time the spurs and problems caused by his teeth are not obvious until he is under a general and then they get a proper look.

I don't think your bunny is bored of his nuggets it could be painful for him to eat.

If you are worried then try the emergency vets but they are most likely to be able to do a dental today, if that is the problem, but at least they can give pain killers and other meds, which Harvey will need if he is in pain and not eating. Best of luck for your Harvey.

I dont for one minute think your bunny is "bored" either
He was probably given gut stimulant and pain relief and now it has worn off, it sounds like he is in pain again
Molar spurs cant always be seen properly even with the scope as Barn Yard Bunnies said....and if my vet checked by rubbing the jaws together..... I would be off and find another vet ......Im still betting this is a dental issue
I could post you a pic on here of an awful spur on my bunny.... that was difficult to see until she was under g.a :(
And she didnt stop eating.... just ate selectivley

Im not suprised youre not happy with your vet, hope you get some answers x

After struggling for a few hours he still wasn't eating so I took him to the emergency vets.
The vet was lovely, although if you weren't aware of how quickly bunnies could go downhill she may have seemed quite terrifying haha

She gave him a full check, his teeth are perfect but he has a little pain in his stomach (could be a blockage or just belly ache) so he is being kept in over night for bloods, an iv drip, and injections to help with his gut - and force feeding. Hopefully this should sort him out and he'll be home in the morning, if not he'll have to have an X-Ray and operation (fingers crossed he's back to his usual self tomorrow)

Thanks for all of the advice everybody!
All I can say is thank God for emergency vets and insurance companies! If anybody on here doesn't have insurance I strongly recommend that you get some, without it there's isn't a chance I could afford this treatment!!

After struggling for a few hours he still wasn't eating so I took him to the emergency vets.
The vet was lovely, although if you weren't aware of how quickly bunnies could go downhill she may have seemed quite terrifying haha

She gave him a full check, his teeth are perfect but he has a little pain in his stomach (could be a blockage or just belly ache) so he is being kept in over night for bloods, an iv drip, and injections to help with his gut - and force feeding. Hopefully this should sort him out and he'll be home in the morning, if not he'll have to have an X-Ray and operation (fingers crossed he's back to his usual self tomorrow)

Thanks for all of the advice everybody!
All I can say is thank God for emergency vets and insurance companies! If anybody on here doesn't have insurance I strongly recommend that you get some, without it there's isn't a chance I could afford this treatment!!

Glad youre getting some treatment for him, sending lots of vibes
Keep us posted xx

Just had a call from the vet, he's confirmed its gut stasis and that there is no blockage!
He's still really bright which is a good sign!
He's having metaclopramide injections, antibiotics, being force fed and is on a drip.
The vet is very hopeful and believes he should be ready to be discharged 8am tomorrow, although he may have to spend the day in our own vets.
Fingers crossed he'll be better by tomorrow - although he is being a little monkey and chewing through his drip... they've had to replace it five times already!
Thanks for the vibes, I'll keep you posted tomorrow!

Glad he is bright :) When Freckle was in with stasis a couple months ago he pulled out his IV line :roll: norty bunnies but at least that's a great sign :D

We picked Harvey up from the emergency vets this morning, :) there's been no improvement but he hasn't worsened, which I suppose is better than him going downhill.
He's currently at his normal vets still undergoing treatment with his favourite vet(not the one he saw on Friday). Thankfully the vets is attached to my work so they know me well and are keeping me up to date all day.

He does have food in his stomach but it isn't moving through.
I hope he reacts to the treatment soon, all this worrying is killing me and Martha.

I'll keep you posted throughout the day, thank you all for the support
xxx

I just want to scream

:censored:

After spending the day with his favourite vet (and the only vet that I truly trust) he appears to have come on quite a lot. He's still being force fed but tonight he started eating hay, drinking water, and weeing and pooping!
I'm extremely irritated to find out from this vet that his back molars are covered in spurs! How did the first two vets check and say that they were perfect when he had one look and knew straight away :censored: :censored: :censored:
I'm fuming.
So now, after paying all that money to the emergency vets and getting a rabbit back that was a) no better and b) looked like he'd been butchered(his ear and face are stained with blood from his drip), I now have to fork out another £100 for his teeth to be filed tomorrow morning!
I'm really not sure his body will be able to take the anaesthetic :(

Emma, Harvey & Martha
xxx

Oh that is terrible :(
Could you complain to the other vets that saw him and missed the spurs on his teeth? Maybe try and get some of your money back.

Sending lots of vibes for Harvey. x

Back